Completed Conservation Projects
38-star Koenig American flag
The Koenig flag was originally donated to Golden Landmarks Association in 1980 by Melinda (Koenig) Reed. The flag was first acquired by the donors’ great grandfather, Nicholas Koenig, who found it in the Loveland Block at 1122 Washington Avenue, after purchasing the building around 1883. The flag was in a burlap bag on the second floor. Upon Nicholas’s passing the flag was handed down through the Koenig family. First to Samuel Koenig, who passed it on to Carl Jacob Koenig Jr. around 1940-41. Carl would give it to his daughter, Melinda Koenig Reed. Subsequently, the flag was transferred to the City of Golden Collection in 2010. Koenig family history states the flag flew over the Loveland Block when the Territorial legislature was in session (the sixth and seventh legislative session were both in 1867).