Bretzel Rolls (Bavarian Pretzel Bread)
As a follow-up to our Facebook Live episode, here are the promised resources. I hope you’ll check out all our other resources online. Follow us on Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram for videos and collection highlights.
- 1 1/3 Cups Warm Water
- 2 TBS warm milk
- 2 Tsp (one packet) Yeast
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 4 Cups Flour
- 2 quarts water
- ¼ cup soda
Step by Step
1. In a large bowl, combine 1/3 cut of warm water and yeast; allow to get foamy (about 15 mins)
2. Add melted butter, milk and sugar to bowl and combine until sugar is dissolved.
3. Add flour to liquid ½ cup at a time; knead until nice pliable dough. Let rest at least 30 mins.
4. Turn out dough onto floured surface. Gently roll into a long 2’ rope. Cut the dough into 12 pieces. Pat into roll shapes, or twist into braids.
5. Set pieces on parchment paper and allow to rise another 30 minutes.
6. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
7. In large stainless steel stock pot, bring 2 quarts of water and ¼ cup baking soda to boil.
8. Drop one or two rolls into boiling water. Allow to sit for 10 seconds, flip and let other side boil for 10 seconds.
9. Remove from water with slotted spoon. Place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake for 10-15 minutes per batch.
10. Cool on wire rack and enjoy!