This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
Built in 1930. Designated a county landmark 12/1/2003.
East Arvada Junior High School was in operation from 1970 until 1984. The school building was demolished in 1984 for Cornerstone Mall. Originally this school was built as Arvada High School 1920. It became Arvada Junior High School in 1955, and East Arvada Junior High School in 1970. At various times, all three schools were located in the same building, at 7225 Ralston Road.
The bridge features two spans, 130 feet and 256 feet, of continuous and composite welder, steel, girders. But in 1973, this structure is one of the finer examples “haunch” construction, in which a girder is built deeper at the pier to handle the greater stress at this point. A technique used to a limited extent in the 1970s, it is generally not used today due to the expense of long span steel structures. The design received a 1972 Award of Merit from the American Institute of Steel Construction.
The 1936 claimant was Agricultural Ditch and Res. Co. filled from Clear Creek via the Golden or Welch Ditch and the Agricultural Res. Ditch (an extension and enlargement of the Golden or Welch Ditch). Construction began in February 1901 and was completed by the fall of 1910.
East School was built in 1885, and so named because it was in the east end of District No. 25.
1883, located by D.E. Harrison. Test mill run of ore assayed $20 per ton.
Natural geographical feature resembling a face facing the west in the Dakota Hogback. Named for Don Ebner, noted member of the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1980s and 1990s.
This is a working ranch at the present time. Echo Valley Ranch was homesteaded in c. 1871 and the present ranch house was built in 1894. It is occupied now by the owners, the Robert P Colwell family, who also own Denver property and reside there part of the year.
It was operated late in the 19th century under a joint district of Jefferson and Park Counties. Some pupils went 3 months to Echo Valley school and 3 months to Mendenhall School.
This coal mine operated from 1937 to 1940. There are two shafts leading to a coal seam of seven feet to 11 feet. Original owners were Merrill E. Shoup, C.V. Sargent, N.M. Driscoll.
Benjamin F. Eden built this house in 1895.
The stable was built in 1925 as part of the Olinger Indian Hills development using one wing of the old Benjamin F. Eden house as the rear portion. It was restored by the Woodticks Square Dance Group in the 1960s.
Settled by Benjamin Eden in 1888. Was the second tollgate keeper on the Turkey Creek Canyon Toll Road.
In 1890 there was nothing to indicate that a town would spring up on the Western edge of Sloan Lake. The only building at 25th Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard was a tavern used as an overnight stop for the stage coaches.
In 1860 there was not even a lake. Records prove that an early homesteader staked the area. Sloan, hoping to farm, drilled a well for water and distributed underground warm springs that created two lakes; Cooper and Sloan.
As families pushed across the Denver city limits at Sheridan Boulevard there were only a few fishing shacks, crude log gambling, and roadhouses (Ref 1). As Edgewater continued to grow, some residents were able to find employment at the amusement parks developed at Sloans Lake. Sloans Lake Resort and Manhattan Beach Park burned to the ground. Luna Park, built 15 years later, eventually faded away, but Edgewater marched on to become incorporated on August 18, 1901 (Ref 2).
The clinic was built in 1953 by doctors Parry and Beshore. The building contains facilities for three doctors and a dentist. In 1960, modern apartments were finished for rental on the second floor.
Edgewater Elementary, grades K-6, takes its name from the small community it serves, which apparently was so called because of its location west of Sloan’s Lake. The history is varied and lengthy, being the first school in an area called “Hog Hollow” or “Hog Ranch,” now the J.C.R.S. shopping center. It had its first and eighth grade graduation in 1889. In 1901, a two-room brick school was erected at 24th and Eaton, enlarged to four rooms in 1907, and an upper story was added in 1912. All high school students attended Wheat Ridge High School until 1924 when a new building was constructed south of the original school at a cost of $13,000. In 1937 a gym auditorium, office, and classrooms were added and would continue to house the Edgewater High School until Jefferson High was completed in 1957. The present school built in 1949 sits on a site at 24th and Depew. This site was acquired by the city in 1946 for a new Edgewater Elementary and Citizens Park. In 1954, the entrance lobby was enlarged and the south wing added. Updating continues at this site.
“In 1915 the Edgewater Volunteer Fire Department was founded and assigned station number thirteen by the State for being the thirteenth company in Colorado to organize. Contributions were solicited from residents to buy two hand pulled hose carts. Fire shacks were set up at 25th and Benton and 25th and Gray. Each Company had a two-wheel hose cart purchased with donations. In 1927, the Fire Department became motorized by purchasing a Dodge truck for $250.00. In 1932, the Fire Department moved to 25th and Gray, which was a remodeled version of the Old Baptist Church that would later become a modern town hall. In 1973, a new fire department was dedicated at 25th and Gray.”
In 1912 all high school students attended Wheat Ridge High School. The Edgewater Elementary was Edgewater’s only school until 1924 when a new building was constructed south of the original school at a cost of $13,000. In 1937 a gym, auditorium office, and classrooms were added. In 1955 Edgewater and Mountair High School students (included grades nine through twelve) were combined and moved when the new Jefferson High was completed in 1957 and opened in 1958. In 1961 the old Edgewater High School was used for overflow of seventh grade students from outlying districts. After the seventh grade school, it became an Adult Education Center. The north side was torn down, leaving the 1937 additions to be renovated for kitchen space and a large auditorium for serving meals and presenting programs. This space was used for the seniors who live in Edgewater Plaza, the adjoining high rise which was added on the north side and occupied in 1981.
The Edgewater Market Place has become the economic base of Edgewater. In January of 1981, the Edgewater Renewal Authority (ERA) Board was appointed to develop 35 acres bordered by Sheridan on the east and Depew on the west between 17th and 20th. The original businesses were re-located before the land was developed and became Edgewater Market Place. Anchor stores are Cub Foods and Builder’s Square, with a number of smaller businesses and eateries.
A Housing and Urban Development high-rise housing project for qualifying senior citizens opened in the summer of 1981 and is referred to as the “Plaza.” It contains 79 apartments on seven floors. The Plaza was built on land occupied by Edgewater High School prior to construction of the Jefferson High School in the late 1950s. After the high school students transferred to Jefferson High, the building became a school for seventh grade students only in 1961. They were bussed from as far way as West Arvada. Following the seventh graders, it became an adult education facility. When adult education was moved to Fruitdale School, the building was empty for a period of time and the original building was torn down to make room for the Plaza. However, the gym (auditorium), office, and classrooms to the east of the gym remained and were remodeled to serve a variety of purposes for the Plaza and community.
In the early 1900s law and order was kept by a Town Marshall and Deputies. In 1949 a Dodge was Edgewater’s one and only police car. It had a two way radio connected to Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department in Golden. The city jail was a single room behind the Town Hall, and the wives of the marshall or the human officer prepared meals for the prisoners. As Edgewater’s population increased, Dean Putnam provided 24 hour protection for the City. The police department moved to new quarters that were a part of City Hall at 25th and Gray. These quarters were once a wooden garage that has been remodeled. In 1984 the police department grew from one full time officer to ten officers. In 1987 the police department moved to 5901 West 25th, which was previously Poindexters Grocery Store.
The Edgewater Post Office enjoyed a variety of locations. The first post office was opened in Widow Humphrey’s home on Sheridan Boulevard. The mail came by trolley to Saint Anthony’s Hospital, and a horseback rider picked up the mail bag to deliver to the post office. When Frank Miller became the second postmaster in 1894, a corner of his grocery store on Sheridan Boulevard was devoted to the postal service. The Denver Tramway had been expanded to Sheridan, so Frank met the trolley with a wheelbarrow and carried the mail back to his store. A new post office was built in 1914 at 25th and Ames. The post office was moved once again to a rented building at 2480 Gray, where it became a branch of Denver on April 16, 1937. A new postal site was purchased from the Edgewater Redevelopment Authority. A brick facility was erected at 1990 Depew by the Postal Department. An open house was held August 24, 1991. The size is 14,000 square feet versus the 2,000 square feet at the Gray Street building where the post office had delivered service for 20 years.
The original names of the streets have been named after the Presidents of the United States, with the exception of Calhoun Street. These names existed up until time of incorporation. The original names of the streets were Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, Jackson, Van Buren, Calhoun, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, Lincoln, Grant, and Garfield. They were renamed Amers, Benton, Chase, Depew, Eaton, Fenton, Gray, Harlan, Ingalls, Jay, Kendall, Lamar, Marshall, Newland, Otis, and Pierce. On March 24, 1906, Denver renamed the East and West Avenues to coincide with Denver, and also, to establish a numbering system for streets and avenues. West 20th Avenue was known as Edgewater Boulevard, West 22nd and West 24th Avenues had no name, West 25th Avenue was known as Emerald, West 26th Avenue as Highlands Avenue.
Meetings were held in private homes until the Town Hall was built, December 7, 1905.
The Town Hall was a former Baptist Church located at 25th and Gray.
In 1940, the town hall was renovated with WPA funds. The hall consisted of offices, street work shops, library and council chambers. It was remodeled again in 1955. The Edgewater Redevelopment Authority passed a resolution July 27, 1992 to purchase the present town hall municiple building. The building in which the Edgewater Town Hall is located was once the American Office Equipment Building. This building was purchased by the Edgewater Redevelopment Authority for $350,000 and $70,000 was provided for renovation of the interior. The Edgewater Redevelopment Authority also provided funding for improvements in landscaping, parking lots and certain building repairs.
In 1885 Sunday school classes were established in the home of W.F. Ricker at 25th and Benton. In 1898 the church was housed in a tent on Chase Street (now 2529 Chase). The tent was replaced with a wooden building located at West 26th Avenue and Depew Street. In 1902 the church built a new structure there. Plans for a new building on the Will Jacobs property were drawn in 1920.
This is the site for the present church at 2497 Fenton Street. Plans for the current building were developed in 1955. It was built in 3 phases with the educational wing completed in 1957. The balance of construction was completed in 1965. The mortgage for the present building was burned in January 1980. In 1985, the 100 year centennial was celebrated.
Built in 1955. Named for George Eiber, who came to Colorado in 1920. He was on the Daniel’s School board until his retirement in 1934. The school housed the R-1 district classes for the deaf, blind and handicapped.
Platted in 1969 by El Pinal, Inc. Name source unknown.
A landmark restaurant, mountain lodge and conference center that has become known as a location on Interstate Highway 70. It began as a log restaurant built in 1947 by the Jahnke family. In 1953, it was purchased by Ray and Mildred Zipprich who added a banquet business, gift shop, and established a contract station for the U.S. Post Office. In 1958 it became a “Mom and Pop” operation managed by their daughter, Donna, and son-in-law, Paul McEnroe. The restaurant became a landmark for tourists and was also popular with local mountain residents. When Interstate 70 was being built in the mid-1960s, McEnroe convinced the highway department to name the exit to Evergreen “El Rancho.”
El Rancho is said to have the most photographed view of the Continental Divide in America. It was selected by many national and international magazines as one of “America’s Favorite” restaurants. The McEnroes offered free meeting space for local community organizations and served on many county boards and commissions. They established a Southwestern gift shop in the restaurant in 1972, a Visitor Information Center in 1975, and an RTD parking area next to the restaurant in 1987.
The McEnroes sold it in 1988 to Skip Rousch who established hotel rooms on the upper level. Rousch sold it to Mark McKenna in 1995. McKenna sold some of the 10.5 acres for development of a hotel in 1998.
A riding ring on US Highway 285 about one and one half miles southwest of Conifer, on land given by Mr. and Mrs. Carl Edwards. It is the home of the 4-H Trail Dusters Riding Club and site of an annual summer horse show. Its name incorporates the first names of the donors.
Name is descriptive – resembles an elephant.
This Denver Mountain Park is named for Elephant Butte, which resembles an elephant.
Probably named for the local wildlife.
This canyon is about 6.5 miles long and drains to the south slope of Black Hawk Mountain. It was named for the large number of elk which occupied the drainage. It was also a stop on the Colorado Central Railroad. See Evergreen Quad, Railroad Bridges and Depots.
A new structure opened in August 1989, for grades K-6. It is named for the stream adjacent to the property.
The Fire District was formed in 1948 with one piece of equipment. A fire house was built in 1951 and in 1963. Another was located at the crest of Richmond Hill off Highway #285. At the present time, there are four Fire Stations: Richmond Hill St. #1, Pine Junction #2, Conifer Mt. #5, and Aspen #4.
Landmark designation 8/2/2004 as “Original Elk Creek Fire House.”
Former railroad station at Clear Creek and Elk Creek. Siding on railroad at 1.9 miles above Beaver Brook. 0.9 miles west of Beaver Brook, Crofett Guide, 1881, p. 40. West of Guy Gulch R.B. 1948, S33, T3S, R71W on railroad mouth of Elk Creek on Colorado Central Railroad 1885 map. West of Beaver Brook, east of Roscoe.
A settlement between Beaver Brook (station) and Big Hills station on Clear Creek, from the Colorado Relief Map, Caxton, Colorado, 1894.
from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
Elk Creek Toll Road and Tramway Company (1882)
This road was built from Pine Grove (Pine) up Elk Creek to the junction with the Denver, Bradford & Blue River Road, then continued up Elk Creek to its source.
It is a Jefferson County Open Space Park of 1295 acres acquired in 1977. It is bordered on the north by the 236 acres of Noble Meadow, acquired by the Jefferson County Open Space Department in 1995 as a Conservation Easement. The park features parking facilities, trails, restrooms, picnic facilities cooking grills, and abundant wildlife. Named for elk that frequent the meadows.
Early name for the area that was later called Bergen Park after the arrival of first white settler Thomas C. Bergen in 1859.
Named for the elk herd that used it as a favorite wintering area.
This is a short residential street.
Named for Elsie Subdivision from which the rights-of-way for Elsie Station were secured by the Denver and North Western Electric Railroad Company.
This park is located in Indian Tree Village Subdivision. The property was deeded to North Jeffco from the City of Arvada May 17, 1971, and an agreement was made between North Jeffco and Tanco Corp. for the development of the park. Indian Tree Homeowners Association requested the Board name this Mini Park after Emil Schneider, Sr., the former owner of the park site. The park was dedicated August, 10, 1979.
February 9, 1884, the Emily H. Mine, the property of Messrs, Wheeler and Co., was tested. The ore was taken at a depth of 18 feet and gave a n assay of 67% copper, 19% iron, three ounces of silver, three eights ounces of gold. Mr. Wheeler was sacking the ore for shipment to the Golden Smelting works, who offered to pay one dollar and fifty cents for each percent of copper and the market value for gold and silver.
Organizers of Enterprise Grange No. 25 were Mary Ann and John C. Churches, the first master, who received the charter, June 25, 1874. Several area granges consolidated or reorganized into Enterprise Grange in 1913. Bert Fields, the first master after reorganization, brought about the dedication of a new Enterprise Grange Hall in 1915, which is still used in 1994. Enterprise Grange was added to the State Register of Historic place on Aug. 11, 1999 (5JF.1713).
Inquiries produced no dates or source of the name.
Located in Water District #7, this ditch is filled with water diverted from Clear Creek. The appropriation date was October 31, 1965.
Thomas Eustice, a miner from the gold and silver regions of Colorado, came to Arvada for health reasons. He built a home for his family in 1893 at 5613 Wadsworth Blvd. The house remained in the Eustice family until 1923. Dr. Richard Russell wanted to be in a more prominent location and swapped his house at 5605 Yukon Street for Nellie (Eustice) Graves home on Wadsworth Blvd. The Russell’s remained here until Dr. Russell’s death in 1934. This prestigious home has changed hands many times but has been remodeled and well cared for during its 100-year existence.
The name means: Evangel = message of redemption (Christian). The church was organized in 1954 and has grown and prospered.
In the summer of 1868, former Colorado territorial governor John Evans and his family embarked on a camping trip in the mountains west of Denver. The camping party drove in spring wagons up Bear Creek to a place Bendemeer, where they camped for several weeks. Evans and his friend, Sam Elbert, explored further up the valley for a summer home. They discovered an ideal spot with beautiful vistas, lush meadows, and rushing streams. Together Evans and Elbert purchased 320 acres and then gradually expanded it until, at one time, it contained over 5,000 acres. Although Evans originally had plans to run up to 1,000 head of Texas longhorns on the ranch, that proved to be too ambitious. Since that time it has been used to graze 200 head of cattle, but has served primarily as a private retreat. The ranch has remained in the Evans family since it was originally assembled and now contains approximately 3,245 acres.
Elihu Evans was born in Beaver County, Pennsylvania on December 20, 1825. He and his brother, Oliver, left for Colorado in 1860. For a short time the brothers worked in the saw and quartz mills in the mountains, and Elihu struck various gold claims. Elihu filed for a 160 acre homestead in Golden City, built a house in 1864, located north of West 58th Avenue (called Evans Road for many years), and received his patent from the United States government in 1869. Elihu was a carpenter by trade, but he also invented a section roller ” to roll and mark out ground for irrigating and other purposes.” The machine was patented in 1867. After Elihu moved to Loveland, his brother Oliver and sons took over the farm and lived there until his death in 1914.
The Martin Everett House was built on the Everett Homestead, 160 acres extending from 32nd Avenue to 38th Avenue, Wadsworth Boulevard east to Henderson Street (Pierce). On May 16, 1867 this house was the site of the meeting called by Mr. Everett to organize the Wheat Ridge School District #8. The first school at 32nd Avenue and Wadsworth was on his property and called the Everett School, as was the second school at 38th Avenue and Teller Street. Everett Middle School at 39th Avenue and Kipling was also named in his honor. He helped organize the Wheat Ridge Methodist Church and Ceres Grange, Patron of Husbandry, #1, the first grange in Colorado. He was a Colorado legislator in 1875-76 when the Constitutional Convention was held.
Second Everett School at 38th and Teller.
Evergreen was platted by John MacBeth when he filed the plat for the estate of Mary N. Williamson on Nov. 20, 1919. The area was first called “The Post” in or near 1866 after Amos Post, son-in-law of Thomas C. Bergen (Bergen’s Park). D.P. Wilmot bought a large land area (including The Post) in 1859, and became the first postmaster of Evergreen in 1874. The Post Office was named “Evergreen” by Ella Wilmot, sister of D. P. Wilmot. Evergreen had a post road-hack (delivery wagon) to Brookvale six times a week in the 1880s. It is presently the largest of Jefferson County’s unincorporated mountain communities with an estimated 1997 population of 28,000.
The addition extends from Logan Street S.E. to Summit Street including Pine Top Avenue and from Teller Street S.W. to the start of Spring Street with 74 lots in the addition, each 50 feet in width.
The church was established in 1975. The building dates to the late 1880s and served as the second schoolhouse in the Evergreen area.
Although the cemetery was not incorporated until March 5, 1908, there are graves dating back as far as 1859. Many of Evergreen’s early pioneer families are to be found here.
The church was established in 1929.
The Historic District consists of 7 acres and 23 structures, the older ones predating its use by the Episcopal church. The first building was a log bunkhouse for lumber workers probably constructed during the 1860s, and converted to a hotel by Robert H. Stewart by the time of the first church meetings here in 1872. Stewart built this into the Sprucedale Resort, which included the hotel and 8 guest cottages. Upon his death the resort was purchased by the Episcopal church, with remodeling and new buildings having been built by Scottish master carpenter John “Jock” Spence. The district is significant for its association with Canon Charles Winfield Douglas, an internationally known expert on the Plain-Song Mass. A partial list of the structures includes the Meeting House, St. Raphael’s, the Stone Library, Julia’s Cottage and the Bell Tower. The District is owned by the Evergreen Music Conference, the community of St. Mary’s, and the Episcopal Church of the Transfiguration. The music conference is the oldest continuing one in the United States, beginning in 1907. The land and the buildings were given by Mary Neosho Williams and the C. Winifred Douglas family. The Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF177) on May 1, 1979.
Built in 1926-1927 by the City and County of Denver for flood control, water supply, and recreation.
The Evergreen Fire Department was officially organized in 1948 and the present building for Station No. 1 was constructed in 1966. Station No. 2 is in Bergen Park at 1802 Bergen Parkway. No. 3 is in Marshdale at 6940 Hwy. 73, and No. 5 is on Upper Bear Creek at 53 Echo Lake Dr. Station No. 4 is the ambulance and paramedic quarters at the south edge of Evergreen at 5411 Hwy. 73.
The school opened in 1954.
A 362-acre subdivision platted in 1971 by Evergreen Estates, Inc. Name from location and terrain.
A subdivision that is one of the older “downtown” developments platted by John F. Truesdell in 1915. The name came from the nearby town and is descriptive of the area.
Opened in 1969.
The 55-acre lake was created by Evergreen Dam, which was built in 1926-1927 by the City and County of Denver for flood control, water supply, and recreation, the latter in the form of year round fishing, boating and sailing in the summer and ice skating in the winter. The recreation activities are managed by the Evergreen Park and Recreation District.
The very unique million-dollar 5000-square-foot log lake house was built in 1992-1993 by the Evergreen Park and Recreation District, with near perfect lodgepole logs imported from Montana. All recreational activities on Evergreen Lake are administered from the Lake House. It is named after the surrounding community.
The church was established in 1955.
Platted in 1969 by Evergreen Meadows Land Company, developers Walter Burke and Roy Romer, the latter became three-term Governor of Colorado, 1986-1998.
Established in 1965, this cemetery and funeral home was named after the area.
Originally named Evergreen Junior High School when opened in 1969. In 1996, changed its name to Evergreen Middle School.
Opened in 1883 and owned by A.F. Post and Company. This copper mine is down 70 feet and assayed at 75 ounces of copper per ton.
Named after the nearby community.
The second school building in the Evergreen area, after the Buffalo Park School, was the frame structure on Highway 73 about one-quarter mile south of Main Street. Built in the late 1800s it served as a school until 1923 when the third school was completed. The second building was then used for many years by the Christian Church, and in 1996 housed the Evergreen Baptist Church.
Evergreen’s third school, a red brick two-story structure, was built in 1922-1923 when District 30 became C2, the second consolidation in Jefferson County. It housed both elementary and high school students. In 1936 wings were added to each end by the Depression era Works Progress Administration (WPA). In 1944, a separate white masonry building was erected nearby for the high school. In 1991, both buildings were razed for construction of a new Evergreen Library.
C. 1900 two-story frame house. Remodeling and siding added in 1929.
Built in 1967. Named for Martin N. Everett, Homesteader 32-38th Avenues, Pierce (Henderson) – Wadsworth. Host to voters of Vasquez Precinct #8 to organize a school District Secretary of that group and let school building. First school his property 32nd & Wadsworth, called Everett School. Second school 7101 W. 38th Ave., also called Everett School. State Legislator Jefferson County street named for him.
Organized 1867 at M.N. Everitt home. Named for Martin N. Everitt, 1st Secretary of the District #8 board. Active in grange, church, state legislature. School built on Everitt homestead land, in 1873 it moved to new “permanent building” at 7101 W. 38th Ave. The site was donated by Abram Slater, the second Everitt School will leby 2.5. 1989 sold, moved, a private residence 8991 W. 38th. 1870’s and 1880’s L—–, C—- Grange ______, Wheat Ridge Library. Methodist congregation all used Everitt School Building. 1889 part of purchase price a_______ for of Al Doud and moved to his farm 8800 W. 38th Ave.