This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
Built 1940 (est), 20th Century Commercial. This is a two-story blond brick building with red brick trim. It has three rectangular sixteen-inch light windows on the second floor with brick sills. The first store front had large display windows and a covered walkway. An earlier building on this site had a dress making business on the second floor. Fair 5 & 10 advertised that it had the best goods for the least amount of money. They sold “… millinery, notions, ladies’, gents’, and children’s underwear, ladies’, gents’, and children’s shoes.” This building was a National Register Nomination for Washington Avenue commercial district in 1978.
Likely named due to the fact that this gulch flows into the Fairmount locality. The reason for the alternate spelling of this name is not known.
This ditch runs from Deer Creek to Fairview Reservoir.
Faith Bible Chapel moved from 9th Avenue and Acoma Street to 6210 Ward Road in 1979. Robert T. Hooley was the first pastor, George Morrison was the pastor in 1994.
Located east of South Valley Road and north of Deer Creek Canyon Road on Ken-Caryl Ranch, “The house was so named because people could watch falcons while sitting on the porch–was built at the turn of the century by Frank Mann, an English homesteader, for his fiancee”. . .”However, she didn’t like it and returned to England.” When Martin Marietta purchased the J.M. property on the Ken-Caryl Ranch, the house was torn down because it was being vandalized and was considered a potential hazard.
Core drilling underground uranium mine owned by Stanley Strauss and operated by Four Corner Uranium Co. Exploratory mine contacting ore ten feet below surface. Old clay tunnel was to be used if sufficient ore found; not possible to determine extent of deposit in 1955. Expect drilling to continue next three months, work start 3/1/1955, five employees.
The church was organized in 1962, and the building at 7580 Pierce Street was completed in 1964. Rev. Bob Bothwell was the first pastor. Currently, 80% of the members are under the age of 40.
Far Horizons Park agreement by and between Jefferson County School District R-1 and North Jeffco Recreation and Park District, was approved September 26, 1968. The school District is owner of 14 acres of land at 84th Ave. and Fenton Street known as Parr Elementary School. Far Horizons Citizen’s Association and Community Group proposed a map for the 4.5- acre park to include a ball diamond, soccer field and football field. North Jeffco developed the park, which was completed in 1969. This is a joint School-Park and Recreation agreement, similar to others in the Arvada area. Far Horizons Park was named for the subdivision in which it was located.
from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
Farmers & Freighters Wagon Road (1869)
This road ran along Ralston Creek from Boulder to Golden Road to the Gregory Road in Golden Gate Canyon.
This canal was incorporated in 1863 as “Golden City and Arapahoe” by William Davidson and Samuel Breath. In 1876, it was incorporated as “The Arapahoe Canal,” by William A. Rand, Francis Gallup and William Bomberger. In April 1880, Michael Spangler, William O. Todd, Samuel S. Landon, Frank Church and R.W. Woodbury incorporated it as “The Golden Canal Co.” In December 1885, it was incorporated as “The Farmers’ High Line Canal and Reservoir Co.” by George Richardson, J.D. Moore, Jr., D.K. Lee, R.G. Webster, Albert S. Pettit and Lewis H. Quimby. The earliest priority for this canal in District No. 7 was July 1, 1860. It flows northeast from Golden past Kelly, Hyatt and Standley Lakes and out of Jefferson County near 100th and Sheridan Boulevard terminating west of Brighton in Adams County. It appears on an old 1915 “Map or Denver and Surroundings,” by R.W. Gelder, C.E. of Greeley.
Farmstead Park is a 2.5-acre site and includes walkways and playground for younger children. The park was turned over to the City of Arvada as part of Melody Homes April, 1980.
This street appears to have been the northernmost of Golden’s original plat. Its name is of unclear origin, but may have been after one of the town’s female pioneer residents. It was renamed 6th Street by ordinance in 1904.
The original church was the Edgewater Baptist Church, and it was started in the Odd Fellows Lodge at 25th and Eaton on January 26, 1951. In 1952 a new church building was constructed at 22nd and Jay Street. In 1982 the church was renamed the Fellowship Bible Church. In 1985 its congregation joined the Association of Independent Fundamental Churches of America and was no longer Baptist.
Built in 1903 for Ella Felt, this two-story salmon color brick four-square has a low pitched hipped roof with a one-story full width porch, and the eaves, cornices and facade detailing emphasize horizontal lines. A bay window is seen on the west side.
The Fenders, Loren and Thalia, came to Indian Hills in 1925. They bought a piece of land near Deer Creek Road. They built a small garage, then two larger ones two years later. In 1937 Loren was instrumental in getting electricity to the area. In 1954 the Inner-Canyon Volunteer Fire Department was organized.
A cluster of log homes was built on the mountainside in early 1900s as a summer resort. Access is by a foot-bridge across the river. This was a stop on the Colorado & Southern Railroad until 1937 when the line was discontinued. The homes continue to be occupied in the summer.
Origin of name not learned.
The well known and early day store, service station and bus stop in Conifer, built of native stone and opened by George C. and Theresea Fields in 1930, and razed in 1975. During thirty years of operation by the Fields, the store was not closed for a single day.
The first parcel of land for Fillius Park came as a donation to Denver in by Evergreen cattle rancher J.J. Clark in 1918. with additional land later obtained through condemnation. A popular park, it has playgrounds, picnic tables, fireplaces, plus a pump house and a shelter house designed by Denver architect J.J. Benedict. The park was named for Jacob Fillius, an early Denver Parks board member. The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF976) on February 24, 1995.
This structure was built in the 1970s to house equipment and trucks for the fire department that was organized in 1971. A heliport is adjacent to accommodate the Flight for Life and other helicopters from Denver.
A late 19th-century homestead site that had been impacted by the construction of a firebreak/road through grading. The firebreak passes through a portion of the site. The site consists of one main subsurface feature partially lined with rough dressed blocks of stone and what appears to be an entrance to the east of the depression. To the south of the main feature (1) are features 2, 3, 4, and 5. Feature 2 is a linear dugout like depression cut into the south facing slope of the ridge, feature 3 is a small pile of stones, and feature 4 is a small depression that may be the outhouse. Several other small springs/seeps flow to the east just south of the site. Feature 5 is an upright pipe approximately 6″-8″ in diameter that may represent the homestead’s water source. A scattering of material culture is found around the site.
It was built in 1980 to house equipment and fire trucks. The name was taken from North Fork of the South Platte River which flows near the fire house.
Dedicated August 5, 1866. Congregation was organized by Elder William Whitehead.
The church was organized in 1904 under J.F. Hardy. When the church was completed at 57th Avenue and Yarrow Street in 1909, Rev. F.E. Hudson was the first pastor. The church at 5624 Yarrow merged with Tri City Baptist Church on March 21, 1981 with Rev. Matt Olson as the new pastor.
The church was established in 1956.
The First Baptist Church of Lakewood located at 1380 Ammons Street. A small group of Baptists used to meet at the Methodist Church at Colfax and Allison Streets until they decided to meet on Sundays. They finally moved into the Lakewood Grange Hall at 14th and Brentwood Streets. As the group grew, they planned for a regular church building. Land was acquired at 14th and Ammons Streets, July, 1942. A delay was caused because of the World War II. Dedication was November 1952. They have two residences for pastors.
History not available
The church building at 5695 Yukon St., was purchased from Saint Matthew’s Episcopal Mission in 1919, and dedicated as The First Church of Christ, Scientist in 1921. An acre building site was purchased in 1954 at 8591 Ralston Road. The first service in the new church was held on Easter Sunday, 1955. The church was dedicated on October 15, 1961. (Christian Science Churches are not dedicated until they are free from debt.)
The Grange building burned in 1927, so the city officials decided they needed a fire station to fill in with fire equipment at the Federal Center. Andrew E. Johnson served as first department’s chief from 1937-1952. Building built in 1939.
The Jefferson County Bank was established in 1896, but was not chartered. The First National Bank of Arvada was chartered December 5, 1904, and was opened for business in the same dwelling occupied by the Jefferson County Bank. Remains of this former bank can still be seen in the basement of the present building constructed by C. F. Fuller in the early 1900s.
Dedicated on June 16, 1872. It was founded by Reverend Sheldon Jackson. Parsonage was constructed in 1892. It became the Foothills Art Center in 1968. It is one of Golden’s last original church buildings.
Located in the southern portion of downtown Golden, the Foothills Art Center building is distinctly different in character and historic context than the downtown area. The building has retained a much greater degree of historic integrity. The church building was constructed on June 16, 1872 as the First Presbyterian Church of Golden. Later it was converted into the Foothills Art Center in 1968. Originally there were two separate buildings, the church building and the parsonage. These two buildings were later joined together by a covered walkway.
The First Presbyterian Church of Golden was founded in 1870 by the ever-colorful, circuit-riding missionary, the Reverend Sheldon Jackson. Reverend Jackson was a pioneer missionary who worked for the United States Government helping to select western Indian tribes to attend schools in the East. He also selected ethnological specimens that were later donated to Princeton University. The church was dedicated on June 16, 1872. The first elder of the church was E.T. Osborne. The prominent Golden businessman, W.A.H. Loveland, also attended the services at the church.
The church exterior was constructed of red-orange bricks which were manufactured locally, with blond brick and stone trim. The building has a two-story tower on the northeast corner. The belfry has three Gothic-arched windows, corbeled brick and stone trim. It has brick buttresses with a Gothic-arched door and stained-glass windows. Eight of the beautiful, original stained-glass windows remain at the Foothills Art Center today. The foundation, buttresses, and window sills were made of hand-hewn sandstone. Several additions over the years have enlarged the Gothic-style building.
The parsonage, built in 1892, was connected to the church in 1968 by a covered walkway. The building is a two-story Queen Anne style home. It has a hipped roof with cross gables. The first floor exterior is brick and the second floor exterior has shingle siding. The building has a rounded tower with an onion dome on the northeast corner. There is a new brick addition in the rear.
The church building is one of the last remaining original church buildings and one of only a few existing structures built during the 1870s. The parsonage is a good example of Queen Anne style architecture and is important for its association with the church. Services were held continuously in the church until 1958 when the congregation moved to larger quarters. The building was then leased to the Unitarians for a while and became a cultural center for art shows, workshops, and classes. Because of the popularity of the art shows and the increasing interest in the Annual Golden Sidewalk Watercolor Show that the Unitarian congregation held, plans were made to convert the building into a community art center.
The Foothills Art Center incorporated on April 19, 1968. A renovation program began with the donations of materials by merchants. Donations of time and effort were given by artists and other interested people. By July 1968 the Center was ready to display the art work from the Golden Sidewalk Watercolor Show. The show was co-sponsored by the Golden Chamber of Commerce. On August 3, 1968 the Center officially opened. The Center is a non-profit organization, supported by classes, memberships, donations, and gallery sales. The Foothills Art Center is unique because it is a living art center in the foothills region where people are continually participating in the exciting art happenings. Variety is apparent in the art classes offered at the Center and the ever-changing exhibits. The Foothills Art Center is a local landmark and has been listed as a City of Golden Historical Site since 1989. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF418) on March 14, 1991.
Henry Stevens the homesteader, Jerry Coulehan the 1874 owner.
The name is self explanatory. The church was organized in 1932 at 13th and Umatilla, Denver. The present site was purchased in 1981 and the first church service at this location was held December 24, 1989. This is a “full gospel” church. Its desires: “Heal the wounded, save the lost, help the community, be a place of refuge.” Construction of the church was a “slow process” of eight years.
The cornerstone for the first unit of the church was laid in 1965 and the educational facility was completed in 1968. Rev. Robinson G. Lapp was the first pastor of this Church.
Named for Archie C. Fisk, president of the American Trust Company. The subdivision was platted December 20, 1892. This area was in acreage sites and used for small farms and residences. It has since been re-subdivided into mostly home sites as of this date.
The school was built in 1959. Ray Sybille Fitzmorris was honored by having this school named for him. He was a teacher and principal of Arvada High School from 1928 until 1952. The land on which the school is located was settled by Lyman Cole, and gold was taken from a placer mine on his property.
Fitzmorris Park in Oberon Subdivision joins Fitzmorris School grounds on the north. James B. Dutrow and Helen B. Dutrow deeded lots 143 and 144 to North Jeffco July 11, 1960. Later that same year, G. Ed Dorsett and Clarence M. Dorsett deeded 2.382 acres to North Jeffco October 14, 1960.
The site consists of the remains of a collapsed log cabin, a wooden platform and associated slash piles and a small depression. The site occupies stream terraces and surrounding small meadows along Bull Gulch at the base of a steep canyon. The c. 1920 vacation home cabin appears to have extended from a hill slope on supports. It was constructed of notched logs and milled lumber and door frames. Only the lower segments of the walls remain and these appear to have shifted downslope from their original locations. A platform is constructed of 10′ x 10′ roughly milled timbers. Its function is unknown. Both features use nails throughout. The small slash piles are located along the site’s periphery. A depression approximately 70 cm. in diameter and 25 cm. deep is located in front of the cabin, its function unknown.
The site consists of a heavily deteriorated log cabin, several inscribed aspen trees and a small depression. The cabin measures 10′ x 17′ and was constructed of notched logs. Approximately the lower 1/2 of the walls are intact. Directly west of the cabin are five inscribed aspen trees with the earliest legible inscription dated 1920.
Built ca. 1890, with additions prior to 1920. It is a medium gable, one-story frame house with shingled walls and a rear cinder block lean-to kitchen addition. There is a small front porch with turned posts and on the left side a stucco bedroom addition.
Ed Fleming was a fine rock mason and worked on many of the vacation homes in the mountains. His specialty was native moss rock fireplaces. He also rodeoed with “the gang” and worked at the Rooney Coal Mine. He served on the Morrison Town Board for many years and was highly regarded in the Morrison community. The house is still a residence.
Built in 1963. Named for Fletcher Miller, who was the first Superintendent of R-1 schools.
The Flintlock Mine is a clay mine forming a scar running the length of the east side of the large hogback ridge north of Golden. Having always been owned as School Trust land by the State of Colorado, it has been leased out over many years to various entities to mine clay. It was originally started in 1890 to serve the Church Bros. brick works nearby, which became the Golden Fairview Brick Works. During the early 20th century its privately-owned southern end was mined by poor Italian immigrants, until it was seized during the Great Depression. During the 1990s it has been operated by the Robinson Brick Co., and is one of Jefferson County’s longest-lived mines at over a century of existence. One small concrete utility building remains at its southern end.
Built ca. 1889. Florence Beckett came to Morrison from London, England with her parents and sister Lucy. She lived here after she got married.
Built ca. 1899. This was Lucy Beckett Smith and Robert Smith’s home. Robert was a son of Jeremiah and Margaret Smith, who homesteaded in the Indian Hills area. There are five generations of Smiths still living in and around Morrison. This house was moved from Spring Street to its present location in 1905.
The Girl Scout Mile-Hi Council acquired the ranch in 1945. The southern portion was originally the Runner Ranch and dates from the 1880s. The upper, or north, portion was homesteaded by Louis Busher, the first forest ranger in that part of Pike National Forest. The property changed hands many times before the Girl Scout Council acquired it. The Homestead House (of the Runner family) and a barn are on the National Register of Historic Places. The origin of the “Flying G’ name is unknown.
The malachite vein containing copper was first discovered in 1866 and was worked periodically until 1917. Piles of timber, tailings, and a huge rusted-metal boiler remain at the site. Remnants of several crude buildings are also visible. The boiler provided energy to operate a crusher to produce sludge that was transported to smelters in Golden. Resident Stanley Thiede says his father worked on the FM&D in 1904 and again in 1917.
Precambrian Metamorphic Formation.
This property was worked as a uranium mine from 1955 to March 1964. Water was kept out until Jan. 1965. Radiation was a problem in this mine until proper ventilation system was installed . A 200-foot ventilator and escape raise to surface was run during 1963 at a location just beyond the underground hoist. The lower three levels were developed through a four-foot by eight-foot two-inch compartment vertical winze (shaft?) some 315 feet in depth. The levels were run out and the vein or deposit and the ore stopped through to the main level. The level average 600 feet running southeast. Prospecting via the core drill method was carried on at great extent and several 1000 feet of core retrieved. The stopes were blocky and after the fill ore was pulled they caved readily. The upper workings are beings used by the Civil Defense Agency for shelter and supplies. 1965 production 805 pounds of uranium valued at 3,620 dollars.
Surface area of Bear Creek:
1960 employed 9 men with monthly production of 800 tons.
1960 production of 23,934 pounds of U3O8 valued at 98,076 dollars
1970 report has five foot by seven foot tunnel going in westerly direction from portal. A raise goes out to surface at about 500 feet. Drift is about 650 feet to face. A winze goes down 250 feet about 500 feet in front of portal.
1977 property is being operated by Cutters. At this time they have cleaned up about 400 feet. They are heading for a shaft.
1963 production of 3,657 pounds of uranium valued at 62,169 dollars
1964 ” ” 3,756 ” ” ” ” ” 75,000 dollars
Mine officially closed 1978, shaft filled with water.
Cotter Corp. Owners.
This is a private liberal arts school, grades K-8, organized in 1980.
This building was built to help provide for the Presbyterian congregation’s spiritual needs in Golden and the surrounding areas. The city of Golden dates back to 1860, and the church building was built 12 years later in 1872. It was the first permanent building erected in the area that was to be known in future years as “Courthouse Hill.” That name stems from the construction of the Jefferson County Courthouse on Washington Street at the intersection of 15th Street, almost directly across Washington Street from the church in 1878. In 1892 a residence for the minister was built on the same block just northwest of the church. For five years, 1862-1867, Golden was the capital of the Colorado Territory until the territorial legislature decided to move the capital back to Denver.
In 1898 a bell tower was added to the church. The plans were drawn by Professor Horace B. Patton of the Colorado School of Mines. The builder of the addition stayed as closely as he could to the original building materials so the tower would not look like some glued on addition. The construction of the tower and renovation of the church to accommodate the tower cost a total of $2,500.
The congregation outgrew the church in the 1950s and built a new church. They leased the old church to the Unitarians. The Unitarians used the church on Sundays and opened it to the art community during the week. Irma Wyhs, a watercolor artist and member of the Unitarian church, was asked to conduct a watercolor seminar for interested artists in 1961. From that beginning came the Michiona Watercolor Society, and as it and the scope of the Annual Golden Sidewalk Watercolor Art Show grew, they realized they would need a place of their own, and the church building suited their purpose. In April 1968 they contracted to purchase the old church and rectory for $30,000. The Foothills Art Center opened in April 1968. The Center grew quickly and a second floor gallery was added in 1980. In honor of the architect, Alan Peterson, who contributed his talent to design the gallery, it was named the Peterson Gallery. It did not take long for the Center to use all its space and have to look for more. To solve that problem, the Center bought the adjacent building at 1510 Washington Street. This building is known as Foothills II.
The Foothills Art Center was awarded a National Register of Historic Places designation in March 1991 (5JF.418)
Built in 1970. Named for the area.
In November 1996, landowners of the three districts approved consolidation. All three communities volunteered for bucked brigades and makeshift trucks with garden hoses until the 1950s when the population began to expand rapidly.
The first Idledale fire house was built in 1956 and the district was formed in 1960. Idledale’s territory was from Bear Creek to U.S. Highway 40 (north of I-70) until 1972 when the Genesee development was “excluded” from within the boundary. Idledale volunteers formed the Highland Rescue Team in the 1960s. HRT became a separate non-profit EMT service for the entire Central Mountains community during the 1980s.
Mt. Vernon Country Club was the first planned development in Mt. Vernon Canyon with homeowners volunteering bucket brigades. They formed a special district for one square mile (where homes were built) in 1958.
The Lookout Mountain Fire District was formed in 1960 by a core group of dedicated volunteers. The district served the entire area, including non-tax producing Denver mountain Parks and Jefferson County Open Space.
The consolidated Foothills Fire District has mutual aid agreements with Genesee and Evergreen Fire Districts.
Edward Chase Ford and Edward McClintock Ford, brothers, established a gambling tent in June of 1859 near the present day intersection of Ford Street and 12th in Golden. The tent was used as a church by the Methodists on Sundays prior to 1868. Ford Street was named for the brothers and their original gambling establishment.
This was originally a water district established in 1962. The land was replatted in 1973 for a 205 acre planned development of a hotel, shopping center, gas station, and residential units named Forest Hills. It was never constructed. Ownership of the land changed many times from 1980 to 1992 when the Riva Chase residential community was marketed. Water and sanitation services were combined with road and open space maintenance and development of an infrastructure, hence a Metropolitan District replaced the single purpose water district. The plan for 150 units was 90% built in 1998.
The first structure was constructed in 1959 and the outdoor riding arena in 1963. The Westernaires are an equestrian drill team that performs at rodeos and fairs throughout the west. They are headquartered at Ft. Westernaire and have a museum based on equestrian history with such items as early saddles from around the world, original calvary tack items, plus uniforms, Conestoga wagons, fire wagon, Baby Doe’s side saddle, Indian costumes, etc.
Foss Drug sits on the site of the tramway station that brought tourists from Denver to Golden. Henry and Dorothy Foss bought H. Langenhan’s drugstore in 1913 and built the current building. Henry and later his son Heinie, expanded their business into a huge emporium. The slogan of the store was, “Where the West shops.” On the south side of the building is a mural painted by Robert Dafford, depicting historic Golden.
Martin and Susan Foss purchased 163 acres in 1918. Part of this property became a Park or a Camp for members of the First Baptist Church of Denver. So many came that eventually seven buildings were constructed. After Susan’s death, in 1938. Mr. Foss deeded the property to the First Baptist Church with the provision that he remain on the property for the rest of his life. In 1940 Mr. Foss commissioned Mr. Roehling to design and build a stone chapel in the park in memory of his wife.
The City of Arvada utilized Block Grant funds to develop and construct playground fields at Foster Elementary School. In 1983, the Recreation District provided for the maintenance of the facilities developed by the City and the R-1 School District.
The school was named for Dr. Edwin Lincoln Foster, a long-time pioneer doctor. The school was built in 1953.
There are basketball court, playground, walking trails and open play areas.
It was established in 1876 by Dr. Alvin Morey, the area’s first settler, who named it Park Siding for its park-like appearance. Park Siding Post Office was in operation from December 27, 1890, to May 26, 1896. In 1909, the name was changed to Foxton by a merchant, J.O. Roach, after the village of Foxhall, England. It was a stop on the Colorado & Southern Railroad, having an open shelter station platform. A post office was located here from January 21, 1909, to 1990. The property is presently owned by the Denver Water Board and several cabins are leased by the Board.
A small, old cemetery with three unmarked adult and four children graves at the edge of Conifer. The first known burial was in 1869, and the last in 1891. Notable was the deaths in 1879 of the four children of W.R. and C. Head. The children’s age ranged from 16 days to nine years old and died within a period of 20 days, possibly diphtheria: Charles A. Head, age seven years old, died Feb. 4, 1879; Celia J. Head, age nine years old, died Feb. 13, 1879; Orillia D. Head, age three years old, died Feb. 19, 1879; Willard Head, age 16 days, died Feb. 19, 1879.
The burial ground was also known as Beaver Ranch Cemetery. It is no longer used, but is fenced and maintained.
This was a stop in Foxton of the Colorado & Southern Railroad’s narrow gauge line until it was discontinued in 1937.
It was established Jan. 21,1909, with John O.Roach as Postmaster and discontinued operation in 1990, when mail was sent to Buffalo Creek Post Office. A Park Siding Post Office is on record as having been at this location from 1890 to 1896.
Frederick Kuehster homesteaded this ranch in 1877 and subsequently built a series of log buildings: house, one-story bunkhouse, barn with hayloft, and blacksmith log shed. Frederick Kuehster came to Colorado during the 1859 Colorado Gold Rush and worked for Central City’s Bobcat Mine for a number of years before moving to Jefferson County to homestead in 1876.
The school was named for Jessie Benton Fremont, wife of John C. Fremont, who explored the western part of the United States in 1840. The school was built in 1891 and replaced a one-room brick school built in 1869-1870. Fremont school originally taught students from first through twelfth grades. The first high school graduating class consisted of four students in 1893. The school was formerly in District No. 6, and is currently a Jefferson County R-1 School.
Jefferson County School District #32 was organized March 21, 1883 Land for a school was donated half by James A. Lewis and half by Jacob H. Brown. A “reverter” clause in the deeds restricted the land “for school purposes only.” A stuccoed one-room log building was constructed and the school was known as Vasquez School.
In 1901, a two-room brick structure replaced the log one and was used until it was destroyed by fire in 1926. In May 1901, the school was named Fruitdale School District #32.
As part of Jefferson County R-1District (1950) additions were added on the east and west. The building through the years was the center of all community activities. In October 1984, a centennial celebration was held, although the elementary school was closed in 1978. The building continues to be used for “school purposes”: preschool, day care, adult education, and administrative offices.
This was also the site of the Bonnie Bonham Library.
Fruitdale is the name of the original community the park name honors. The Wheat Ridge Recreation Department park was temporarily designated Muegele Park for a family from whom the city had purchased the acreage. At first it was listed only as having a natural environment, but now it is listed as having the following: basketball, bike path, playground, picnic tables, pavilion, rest rooms, and a “natural environment.”
The Fruitdale Sanitation District was established in 1948. It’s general service area is from Lee Street to Ward Road, North of Clear Creek to 54th Avenue.
In the 1940s, a Mother’s Club sponsored a library service for the Fruitdale Community. It was located in the “backstage area” of the school auditorium. It was open once a week. Books were furnished by the Colorado State Library and were delivered in large locker trunks. These were replaced once a month with different selections.
In 1950, after R-1, the library was moved into the former custodian residence on the campus and the Jefferson County Library District was established. This unit became part of the County facility.
Bonnie Bonham, an active, civic minded woman was honored by the Library being named the Bonnie Bonham Library.
Built ca. 1880. Kate was a Groom, one of the oldest families around Morrison. She was a sister to Effie Mae Knolls and Julia Ann Baker. She was one of 12 children. The house was moved to this location from Market Street in 1926.