In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
This station measured the acre feet of water through a given point.
Gail Stout Playground Park was the first park in Arvada to honor the Federal Americans With Disability Act. The Park was dedicated with a plaque for Gail Stout, a longtime Arvada resident, known for his love of children and outdoor recreational activities. Funds for the park were raised in 1990 by Stout’s family, friends and the North Jeffco Foundation.
Constructed by Italian immigrant Charles Garbarino in 1870, this home was originally a 1 1/2-story frame house that stood in the rear of the property at 1213 Washington Avenue. It was used for many years as a support building for the hotel establishment standing in front of it, including being a home for hotel workers as well as its ownership. In 1909, prominent Golden contractor John H. Linder acquired the residence and moved it to its present location, covering it and adding to it with gray brick siding and wide arched windows on all sides, the rear wall of the original building being stuccoed. It is the last known surviving work of Linder’s in existence.
Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad built, in 1878, the Garfield 3′ gauge Branck to the Garfield Quarry and Satanic Mike site.
That portion of Garrison Street between West 44th Avenue and Ridge Road was known as Juchem Lane before county street names were revised. In Arvada Heights, it was known as Majestic Avenue and extended from West 67th Avenue, south to the Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad tracks. In 1949 it became Garrison Street and was named for the Garrison family, who published the “Golden Globe.”
In 1938 this was the site it a Texaco station operated by Charles W. Schultz. The business became “the shanty” in 1942, operated by Al Linke who also owned Linke Hardware in the later to be Lakewood area. In 1943 the name of Smith Road was changed to Garrison Street. During the war, the business was known as a “road house,” receiving a lot of business from the Remington Arms Manufacturing Plant at the Federal Center. The “Monvue Tavern-Dancing and Mixed Drinks” was the next name change, with Al Luino shown as the proprietor in 1945. In April 1978 the name was changed to the current name, Garrison Street Station by present day owners Don and Carolyn McEndaffer.
Walking trails and picnic tables.
It appears this hotel survived in later years, being ran as a hotel and toll station at the mouth of the canyon by John Couch and his wife. Couch earlier had co-owned the Office Saloon in Golden.
Built around 1912, it had a stepped parapet front and held the Golden Athletic Club on the second floor. During the summers, the theatre occasionally held lottery for free bags of groceries. The Gem Theatre was one of Golden’s first silent movie houses.
It was named for the Commanding General of the Union Army and later president. It was mentioned in Croffutts’ book as having operated before the turn of the century; exact location is unknown.
1928, work was done with day laborers sinking a shaft, sample testing property for ore values. Seven man are employed. The vein is supposed to be a fissure and it looks as though it was about four feet wide. More or less open cut work has been done on the surface to locate the vein on which an incline shaft or stope has been sunk 40 feet: non-producer of gold, silver, copper.
The Store was established in l897 by Sam Auger, a young entrepreneur who also had the first telephone, part of the Denver exchange. Twice a week as a bonus service to this customers he delivered groceries house to house . Also he picked up customers mail at the Edgewater Post Office and delivered it to his customers till Rural Delivery was established.
July 5, 1884, it was reported work (mining copper) was being done at the Imperial Mine, formerly known as the General Thomas Mine.
Denver enclosed 160 acres of Genesee Park for 23 wild elk and seven bison in 1914. Caretakers lived in the historic Patrick House (1860) located east of Chief Hosa Lodge (1918) and south of Interstate 70. Wildlife conservation was the primary purpose of establishing the preserve. Also, World War I was causing scarcities and semi-domesticated bison and elk could provide supplemental meat should the supply of beef and poultry run out. Denver Mountain Parks must comply with USDA livestock immunization rules.
The herd pasture now includes 500 acres on both sides of the highway (crossed by a tunnel underneath) for maintaining approximately 30 adult bison and 20 elk. Each bison eats 150 tons (at $130 per ton) of native grass hay cut at Rabbit Ears Pass near Steamboat Springs. Proceeds from the spring sale of 25-30 bison provides funding for the feed and veterinarian services. Caretaker Marty Homola, who lives in the Patrick House, said, “You can’t put a monetary value on these bison. People stop to see them every day just to be reminded of the Wild West.”
After choosing to be “excluded” from the Idledale Fire District boundaries, Genesee real estate developers formed the Genesee Fire District in 1973. It serves approximately 1500 homes and the Genesee Business Center that total 3.4 square miles.
Founded November 1, 1913, with 65 charter members meeting at the Rockland School (1873), then at the Ralston family store (1904). When Ralston Elementary School was built in 1955, the Genesee Grange gained a perpetual lease from School District R1 for the second Rockland School (1939) where it has resided ever since.
The name Genesee comes from a New York state Indian tribe.
This was the first Denver Mountain Park started in 1912 after a charter amendment was approved by Denver voters. More parcels were gradually purchased from the federal government and private land owners. Lucian Ralston donated over 50 acres adjacent to his residential “Genesee Ridge” plat. Eventually totaled 2400 acres by 1937. The Genesee Ski Jump was operated adjacent to the south park boundary from 1920 to the early 1960s. The Genesee buffalo herd is maintained within the park. The park features playgrounds, softball field, picnic tables, fireplaces, shelter house, 200-acre playground, and a buffalo herd. The park includes an elevation of 8274 at the southern summit down to a northern elevation of 6400 at Clear Creek. The northern park includes the “Genesee Wilderness Area” where Denver Parks and Recreation provide wilderness experience for inner city youths. The Stapleton Trail in the northern area accesses the Beaver Brook Trail. The park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF590) on November 15, 1990. Its name came from a New York state Indian tribe.
In 1919, Rocky Mountain Ski Club president, Dr. Menefee Howard (a dentist) persuaded wealthy Denver club members to establish a ski jump northeast of the summit of Genesse Mountain, which was owned by Denver Mountain Parks (1912). Mt. Vernon Canyon resident Lucian Ralston cleared a path for the jump on his ranch land. The hill was 1,000 feet long and had a grade of 35%. Thousands of people walked, rode horses, and drove cars to watch the “ski riders” perform. Several national championships were held there during the early 1920s. The jump was abandoned during the 1930s and revived by University of Denver Ski Team in the 1950s. Doctor Howard operated a fur farm on the land during the 1950s and 1960s until Genesse developers purchased the land in 1964. The site was considered for the proposed for the 1976 Winter Olympics, which was defeated by Colorado voters in 1972. The jump is still visible from I-70, above the Chimney Creek Condominium. The chimney from a large warming house still stands alongside the drive into the development.
100 acres to International Sunday School Association in 1922 for religious instructions for boys and girls. In 1973, fire destroyed buildings but was rebuilt and operating giving counseling and training.
In 1963, owned by Colorado School of Mines. It has a total of 240 feet running due north of four feet six inches by seven feet six inches tunnel with a side drift running due east 110 feet of three feet six inches by five feet six inches for an extensometer station. An instrument area or room is located between the 100 foot and the 130 foot stations of the main tunnel and is ten feet six inches by 30 feet by seven feet six inches high. The Hardrock Contracting company is made up of students from the School of Mines. The rock is drilled with a jack leg, blasted and mucked or removed with a slusher. The tunnel will be concreted when completed.
Gertrude Wheeler Bell was a Golden pioneer and educator. She attended the South School and graduated in 1904. She began her teaching career in 1904 at the North School and later became the principal. She transferred to Mitchell Elementary School in 1941. Gertrude died in 1963 at the age of 87. That same year, a new school (Gertrude Bell Junior High School) was opened and dedicated to her. In 1994 the school underwent major remodeling and added a two-story classroom addition, a larger library, and a new office space. The school is located on a twenty-seven acre site.
1883 Henry Koch located this claim
A gulch beginning southeast of Stanley Park and connecting with Parmalee Gulch in Indian Hills. The name is probably descriptive of the geologic feature.
The Gillchrist home was originally a pioneer home in what is now Pleasant View, probably built sometime around the early 1900s. In 1925, owners C.L. Gillchrist moved it from Pleasant View to Golden, enhancing the underbuilt portion of Clark’s Garden Addition. The moving contractor was E.W. Blood. In later years, the Spring family lived in this residence.
J.W. Gleason had a blacksmith shop at his residence on the Middle Golden Road, the first in Wheat Ridge. His residence was an impressive two-story red brick Denver four-square.
In 1862, the land was originally given to a widow, Miguela Torres, of a veteran of the Indian Wars as bounty. Purchased by Cyrus J. Creighton in 1920, the original plat of Glen Creighton Subdivision filed with Jefferson County on February 7, 1923. The initial construction of streets in Glen Creighton was accomplished in 1923 by Cyrus Creighton using a grader drawn by a four horse team. A total of 15 homes were built in the 1920s, with an additional 35 in the 1930s, 51 in the 1940s, 33 in the 1950s, 8 in the 1960s, and one each in the 1970s and 1980s. The houses are a blend of picturesque English Tudor cottages, Gothic elements, Colonial Revival, French Provincial and American bungalow. Designed by DeBoer, Denver Mayors Speer’s and Stapleton’s renowned landscape architect, it was Denver’s and Lakewood’s first landscaped subdivision. The subdivision’s theme was “Glen Creighton is the park for quiet restful homes.”
Glenco Lime & Quarry Co. have started to develop a coal vein.
The Glencoe Quarry located on Ralston Creek was worked for durable creamy sandstone. Just north of Ralston Creek is the old Glencoe community, now a part of Ralston Reservoir. This early quarry was in full operation between 1884 and 1898 due to the Denver and Middle Park Railway which transported the sandstone. It is not known why the community and the quarry were given the name Glencoe.
This is composed of a cluster of vacation homes, having at one time a central dining room and recreation hall.
Original owner planted a tree for each species of tree growing native to Colorado and wrote book.
This park has flower gardens and open play area.
Not developed as yet.
Built in 1958. Named for its community.
This church has a complex background. A chronological outline follows: 1953 – St. Timothy’s was organized; it was the first in Colorado District Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod to leave the Synod and join AELC. The church site was 4A southwest corner of 32nd Avenue and Youngfield. 1963 – St. Mark’s LCA was organized at 12200 West 38th Avenue. 1976 – Agape withdrew from Bethlehem Lutheran, Missouri Synod, and met in St. Timothy’s church. 1979 – “after living together in the same building” the two merged and became Gloria Dei. 1980 – Gloria Dei and St. Mark’s merged and became Gloria Dei – St. Mark’s met at 12200 West 38th Avenue. 1982 – Changed its name to Glory of God Lutheran. 1988 – Constitution of Glory of God accepted.
Named for the mountain goats that used to be found in abundance here. Now the area supports a large population of Bighorn Sheep.
This c. 1882 Late Victorian, rectangular, 2 story, cross-gabled, brick, 3256 sq. ft. house was built for Eva St. C. Millet. Lavina and John Whitman owned the house from 1887 to 1898. The Whitmans had come from New York to Colorado for health reasons. Their son, Walker Whitman, was a dramatist and a Shakespearean actor. Trained in the East, he was the favorite performer at the Wheat Ridge Lyceum and a member of the Elitch Summer Stock Company. Later, Whitman would play Broadway and tour Europe for years. Lester M. Godley, a sales manager for Liebhardt Commission Company and owner of Arnett-Godley Commission Company, purchased the house in 1898. He later built a four-level tree house for his daughter, Sophie, who entertained college friends in it. Sophie was a Denver University Alumna and taught Edison School in Denver for years. Sophie Godley, inherited the house in 1923 and kept it until her death in 1965. Stanley E. Johnson, an engineer, purchased the house from her estate.
Golden took its name from Thomas L. Golden, who with other prospectors camped at the site during the winter of 1858-1859.
This railroad used narrow gauge tracks of the Colorado Central Railroad, but added a third rail for accommodation of larger equipment. This portion of Colorado Central was opened and incorporated in March, 1878 as the Golden and Ralston Railroad to accommodate the owners of the coal mine at Tindale. The entire line from the Colorado Central connection to Murphy Coal Mine was abandoned in 1880.
The Golden City & South Platte Railroad was created on January 18, 1872, with Charles C. Welch as president and E.L. Berthoud secretary. The line was charted to start at the Colorado Central rail yards, crossing Clear Creek on a low bridge proceeding south on what was once East Street, located now behind Safeway. It turned southwest just before the present day 13th Street and crossed over at a 45 degree angle to what is now Jackson Street through the cut that creates the corner of Jackson and Ford Streets in Golden. It went due south on present day Jackson as far as the Golden High School, where it again went southwest negotiating the terrain in a curving manner. It cut through Golden Cemetery and south past Morrison to Littleton, a distance of 17 miles.
Bonds were sold in January of 1873 and the line was believed to have been built as far as a local coal mine to supply the Colorado Central with fuel for its locomotives. The Crash of 1873 stopped construction at that point until 1879. Then most of the 17 miles was graded, but rail ran out at a clay pit at Hoyt’s Ranch and a lime kiln nearby. Grade was completed in September 1879, but construction was halted in 1880 due to the right-of-way of the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad cutting the Golden & South Platte Railroad off from Morrison.
The construction began March 1879. Filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via Barber Ditch, Church Ditch and Golden, Ralston Creek Ditch and seepage. This system lies in Water District #7.
March 14, 1885, it was reported that indications are brightening in the Golden copper mining district.
This ditch is in Water District #7. Claimant for adjudication, October 4, 1884, was the Golden Flume and Ditch Company.
Jan. 2, 1892, it was reported that the company owned 800 and 900 acres of clay land that has every kind of clay that is known.
from Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
Golden Gate & Gregory Road (1862)
This toll road climbed Tucker Gulch and Golden Gate Canyon to access the Central City Mining District. It operated through 1871.
Canyon takes its name from the 1859 Pikes Peak gold rush community of Golden Gate City, named for Tom Golden, located at its mouth. This canyon offered an entry way for people and machinery to reach the mining district of Central City. On August 15, 1862, the Golden Gate and Gregory Toll Road Company was chartered and ran from the mouth of the canyon to Michigan House in Cold Springs Valley.
The name has evolved to represent that Front Range region bounded roughly by Colorado Highway 119 on the west, the northern boundaries of Golden Gate State Park and lower Ralston Creek drainage on the north, Clear Creek Canyon on the south, and the foothills between Clear Creek and Ralston Creek prairie entrances. The canyon encompasses both Golden Gate Canyon State Park and White Ranch Open Space Park. The canyon occupies portions of Tungsten, Eldorado Springs, Black Hawk, Ralston Buttes, Golden, Evergreen and Squaw Pass quad maps. It was originally designated an eight-mile, east-west canyon that opens onto prairie one mile north of Clear Creek Canyon (see Tucker Gulch).
The first tract of land to be purchased by Colorado State Parks and Recreation Department in 1960 was 200 acres in Gilpin County. The park was opened to the public in 1965, and at present encompasses 8,500 acres. The land was acquired from ranchers, Bureau of Land Management, Department of Interior, and Colorado State Land Board. The park headquarters are located at the junction of Ralston Creek and Golden Gate Canyon Road.
Received legislative authorization August 15, 1862. “‘Golden Gate and Gregory Road Company. From Golden Gate via Tucker’s Canon or nearest and best route to Michigan House in Cold Springs Valley.” “Golden Gate, a village of 26 buildings in all stages of completion. Entered mountains here, thru a toll gate, paying 75 cents per wagon.” James Bond owned and operated the lower ten miles of the toll road from 1869 to 1883.
Built in the early 1950s on one acre of land donated by rancher Bessie Nare to the grange for a community center. Prior to having the building, the grange alternated monthly meetings between Belcher Hill and Robinson Hill schools. Mary Jane Nare, daughter of Bessie, later donated an additional acre to increase the parking area. A bronze plaque on the front door of the grange reads: “In memory of Bessie and Mary Jane Nare, Golden Gate Pioneers who donated this property to the Golden Gate Grange for the benefit of the community.”
June 21, 1884, the Golden Gate copper mine was reported to be being worked by George W. Hill of Denver. A tunnel was driven to strike the vein at a depth of 75 feet from the surface. The ore was recently assayed at 185 dollars to the ton.
The 1924 building, designed by noted architect Eugene G. Groves, is significant as a rare and well-executed local example of the Beaux Arts style. In spite of additions to the school during the 1950s and 1960s the building retains a high degree of integrity. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1997 (5JF.653).
In the mid-nineteenth century, independent Jewish mutual aid societies began to found cemeteries and provide funeral arrangements for their members. The West Side Benevolent Society was formed in 1906 to meet this need. In 1908, the WSBS purchased a rural parcel of land on West Colfax Ave. which opened as Golden Hill Cemetery. Bisected by the former road to Golden, the two sections of the cemetery were very different in character and use.
The lower, southern section of the cemetery is the larger of the two, and is well landscaped, well maintained and still in use. The upper, northern section in steep, rocky and neglected. Essentially the northern section (containing 746 grave sites) was reserved for the indigent buried at community expense, for suicides (restricted from the other graves by Jewish custom) and the numerous tuberculosis patients from Jewish Consumptive Relief Society. The victims of tuberculosis were also restricted due to the belief that persons visiting the cemetery could contract the disease through the deceased. Many graves are unidentified and still others have not been maintained over the decades. The Hill Section of the cemetery was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995 (5JF975).
The new Golden Library opened in 1996 in the newly renovated recreation center. The library began in a wood frame building near 13th street and was first organized in the early 1900s.
Nov. 17, 1883, it was reported Messrs. Brown, Brady & Truesdale have staked a claim 1/2 mile above the Maggie Mine just west of Golden and called it the Golden Lode. Nov. 24, 1883, it was reported a shaft of over ten feet had been sank and over 1,000 lbs. of good smelting copper ore with some silver and gold were taken out.
The building was constructed between 1864 and 1866. It was originally believed to be a dairy, then served as a church hall, and later a plumbing shop. In 1966 Golden Camera service was in operation there.
The Golden Opera House was built by the builders Milliken and Lee in 1879. Formerly dedicated on October 25, 1879, the two-story brick building had an ornate, pressed metal cornice, first floor offices, and a second story.
The reservoir was established by the city of Golden in 1904 to hold water for the city system. Water was piped from Squaw Mountain across Beaver Brook and Lookout Mountain, then from the reservoir into the city. Easement for the piping and reservoir were traded for residential development water taps, sold initially by Rees C. Vidler, and later by other developers. When Golden changed their water supply to Clear Creek in the 1960s, mountain residents were forced to accept continued untreated water until the Lookout Mountain Water District was established in 1988. The district purchased Golden’s rights to reservoirs on Squaw Mountain, the pipe system, and the “Golden Reservoir” on Lookout Mountain.
In 1881 this coal mine owned by the Williams Coal Mining Co. had a shaft 110 feet down.
Golden Street was platted with the Golden Park Addition, and not opened until the 1950s due to its passing through Cemetery Hill. It was probably named after the town of Golden. Its name was changed by city ordinance in 1904 to 4th Street.
Built in 1949, by persuasion from Lu Holland, head of the Chamber of Commerce and owner of the Holland House (now Table Mountain Inn), at a cost of $7,500. The Golden Welcome Arch is listed on the State Register of Historic Places.
Origin of name not learned.
Named for the nearby creek.
It begins about one mile northwest of Highway 285 at Richmond Hill Road and runs southerly into Elk Creek near Glenelk. Named for the numerous gooseberry bushes along it sides.
Goosetown is Golden’s historic German district, having come into its own during the 1870s as immigrant railroad workers settled around the main works of the Colorado Central Railroad on its north side. It was named “Goosetown” either for the nearby flock of geese Adolph Coors kept, or the cackling of the female inhabitants of the locality. Although Goosetown’s earliest buildings dated well into the 1860s, the bulk of the locality was built by speculative builders in the 1870s, resulting in an explosion of nondescript frame housing and a fire hazard, prompting Golden’s first anti-growth ordinance in 1874 banning such construction. Goosetown was home to a rowdy set of blue-collar German families, as well as a scattering of other immigrants including persons from Sweden, Poland and England. Goosetown, being near the freight depot, had a number of hotels, including the Burgess House, Omaha House, Pennsylvania House, and the German House which had earlier served as Germania Hall. Numerous bars dotted the district. Over time, Goosetown came more under the influence of Golden’s Swedish population, who took over many of its establishments. After the railroad tore down its buildings there in 1927, Goosetown fell into decay for some 70 years, losing many buildings to arson and Coors expansion. By the time preservationists led by the Golden Landmarks Association began its renewal, about 80% of the district had been lost, and its last historic business (Goosetown Tavern) moved to Denver in 1998. However, its western side and most of its important landmarks remain, including the Burgess House, several homes of the Maas family that has lived in Goosetown for over a century, 2 fraternal lodges, and the historic fire station given to Goosetown by William A.H. Loveland in 1879.
In November 1915, John Gordon and his family lived in a tent on this land. In May 1916, Gordon built the original 10′ x 10′ log cabin, now used as a kitchen. Gordon died in 1929 and his wife sold to Prince Balthasar Gialma Odescalchi, a noble of the Holy Roman Empire. After purchasing the land and cabin, the Prince built the 3,200 sq. ft. stone house, turkey house, meat locker, bridge, pump house, one room cabin and the barn. The Prince’s wife, Elaine Wilcox Odescalchi, was daughter of Charles McAllister Wilcox, who was president of Daniels and Fisher when the D & F Tower was built in Denver in 1910. The Prince and his family lived here until it was sold to R.W. Drake in 1940.
Built initially in 1890 by William Thomas Gorell, this is one of the dwindling reminders of Lakewood’s distant rural past.
After nine years working fro a land owner named A.R. Ayers, building fences and completing other jobs, Gorrell bought the first piece of land that, by 1906, totaled 320 acres, reaching west to today’s south Garrison Street, east to Wadsworth Blvd. And south to Florida Ave. The 1890 purchase was quickly followed by construction of a two-story farm house and some outbuildings. Two years later, in 1892, Gorrell married Anna Aduddell. They set up housekeeping in the new house establishing a long residence that continues today. It remains the home to Nora Gorrell Luino, and a grandson, Norman Nicholas.
The Gorrell dairy farm became prosperous through endless days and years of hard work. The big barn sheltered 30 milking cows and the usual array of other farm animals. Grains and corn grew in the fields and were stone in Gorrells silos to feed the stock. Gorrell sold cattle and also rented property on Green Mountain as pasture for dairy cows.
In 1924 the house caught fire, no one was harmed. Gorrell and son Fred built a new brick home on the old foundation in 1925.
Eventually, William Gorrell gave each of his six children six acres for their homesites, dictating exactly how they should be built.
Bob and Everett Gorrell stayed in the dairy business until after WWII. In the mid 50s they sold a large part to developers of the Palomino and Greenwood Park subdivisions. The dairy itself was sold in the 1960s.
Built ca. 1885. The site of the Morrison Stone, Lime, & Town Company. The kiln (built ca. 1878) made the mortar that was used in many of the houses that still stand today. Jonas Henry Schrock was believed to have had a saloon in this building. The Gotchalks started their bakery downstairs and lived in the one-and-a-half story rear apartment in 1889. Later, this building was used as the Morrison Post Office. At the present time it is a liquor store.
Built in 1927. Designated a county landmark 9/8/2003. Lot #1, Orchard Addition #2, Wide Acres subdivision; 2/3 acres. Mountjoy & Frewen, architects; Georgian Colonial, Dutch Colonial or Old English.
Located two blocks south of West Belleview Avenue and west of Wadsworth Boulevard in the Governor’s Ranch community, this school opened in August 1987. It was named Governor’s Ranch because the land was originally owned by Colorado Governor Grant. This school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District.
The church was established in 1983.
It was established after 1938 by Grace Methodist Church of Denver and became a summer camp for boys in 1959. The main feature is a beautiful stone chapel near Highway 285. For many years the property was the Beaver Ranch Children’s Camp, Inc. In 1994 most of the property was acquired by the Camping Services Branch of the Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) of Metropolitan Denver and renamed it Camp James Q. Newton after Denver’s youthful post World War II mayor, “Quigg” Newton. The original nucleus of the Grace Community Center is now privately owned.
The park was given by Judge Samuel Wallace Johnson to the Wheat Ridge Lion’s Club, which gave it to the Wheat Ridge Recreation District. When the City of Wheat Ridge was incorporated in 1969, the Wheat Ridge Recreation District disbanded and all property was given to the city. It is now a segment of the Green Belt. Biking and walking paths, a playground, picnic tables, fishing, the natural environment, and rest rooms are the varied facilities here.
Grand Camp Creek was the original name of Bear Creek, given to it in 1815 by Auguste Pierre Chouteau and Jules de Munn. They were the leaders of a French trading party formed in St. Louis who came here in September of that year looking to trade with local tribes. The party of 47 men held a “grand council” with the Indians of the area at what is now Bear Creek in the mountains of Jefferson County. This name continued in use at least under the Long expedition in 1820.
Dec. 29, 1883, it was reported the Grand View a new discovery by Mr. Koch, shows copper sulphurates in great profusion in a regularly formed crevice.
This was a lane to the Martin Everett house and later to the Bungers and was often called Bungers Lane. It went only to what would be 35th Avenue today. When it was extended to West 32nd Avenue and on to West 26th Avenue it became Grandview Street. The final name is Teller Street.
This main Arvada avenue was originally called Railroad Street in 1870 because it ran parallel to the Colorado Central Railroad tracks. Before 1934 this avenue was spelled as two words. Grand View Avenue extended from Lamar to Yukon Street and was known as the first “paved road” to Denver. This achievement prompted the first Arvada Harvest Festival in 1925. With the exception of four years, the celebration has continued every year until 1995. Grandview Avenue currently extends from Lamar Street west to Independence Street and is probably named for the grand view of the mountains.
This lake is located east of Wadsworth and north of West Bowles.
This reservoir is located east of Wadsworth Boulevard and North of West Bowles.
This reservoir is located east of Wadsworth Boulevard and north of West Bowles.
Grant School was built of adobe brick in 1864, but melted in a spring rainstorm by 1866. It was replaced by a log school c. 1867 at approximately Ward Road and W. 64th Ave. Grant School was named for Grant Precinct in which it was located. The precinct was probably named for President U.S. Grant.
Grant Street and the Town of Arvada became official in 1870. The street was named for Ulysses S. Grant, the United States president from 1869-1877. After Jefferson County revised the street names in 1949, Grant Street became Grant Place.
Grape Creek was the original name of Deer Creek, given to it by the Stephen H. Long expedition in 1820.
Producing uranium mine, employed six people. E.E. Lewis Inc. contacts, Wayne Freedman et al owner. At least 91 feet level shaft, 150 tons per month regular, 215 tons peak 1959 100 foot level, spread mine, 160 foot level, total depth 163 feet, drifts southeast up to 170 feet, mined 1957-67.
This was a crude wagon road from Mt. Vernon to Bear Creek Canyon, west of Morrison, until 1938 when Jefferson County constructed the road to provide access to US Highway 40 in Mt. Vernon Canyon to escape flash floods that occurred on US Highway 74 along Bear Creek.
Grassy Mountain is the earliest recorded name of Green Mountain south of Golden.
Charles Graul bought 15 acres in 1887 and began truck gardening but soon tired of it and returned to Denver where he built and ran the Tremont Hotel at 13th and Blake. His son Charles was left in charge of the Wheat Ridge property. In 1897 young Charles traded strawberry plants to Roe Chamberlain for pansy plants and became a florist. He and the plants survived the first winter under crude, demanding conditions and in 1898 he built two greenhouses. He was a florist, but in 1930 he grew cucumbers which retailed for $1.00 each. By this time he had 50,000 sq. feet of “glass.” He also later grew tomatoes and pioneered greenhouse vegetable culture. His grandsons George and Charles III continued the business retail and wholesale.
Oliver Graves was a Fifty-niner, who came from Illinois to Spring Gulch, Colorado to mine for gold. He bought the Golden Gate Toll Road, but sold it when he moved to Arvada in 1862. He and his wife, Lucy (Story) Graves purchased 160 acres and built their home on what became known as Graves Avenue. This lovely home has since been demolished. Oliver’s son, William Graves, built a blacksmith shop on the northeast corner of Wadsworth and Grandview Avenues. By 1916, A.L. Davis bought the site for Dodge Brothers and Chevrolet cars.
Built in 1893, J.H. Kriege was the cabin’s first owner. Mrs. Kriege was Molly Brown’s personal nurse. A 2-room cabin was built in 1908, according to Jefferson County tax records.
This ditch lies in Water District #7. Its water is diverted from Clear Creek via the Slough Ditch. Claimant for adjudication in 1884 was Oliver Graves. He was a pioneer farmer in Arvada. The ditch appears on an old map, circa 1900, once used in the Old Jefferson County Courthouse.
Oliver Graves subdivided this land April14, 1890. This subdivision was in small acreages for small farms and has been later re-subdivided into home sites and business locations.
This ditch lies in Water District #7. Water came from Clear Creek via Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was Oliver Graves. According to a chart compiled by C. L. Chatfield, in 1919, the ditch was not in use at that time. But it still appears on the State Engineer’s “Water Rights Report,” June 1989. Ditch tender for the Slough Ditch Association stated in March, 1990 that it had been abandoned to housing. Pioneer Oliver Graves was a resident of Arvada in 1862, and his priority in Graves South Ditch dates from May 21,1863.
Oliver and John P. Graves subdivided this land December 18, 1888. This was the second subdivision Plat filed in the arvada area.
This reservoir is filled from Clear Creek, Elk Horn Draw, and Walnut Creek. The earliest appropriation date is December 31, 1878. The water is used for irrigation and municipal (Broomfield) needs. Municipal water was transferred into Great Western from Nissen and Zang Reservoirs in 1984, all in Water District #7.
It is composed of private family plots with several unmarked graves. Only two tombstones remain. The first known burial was in 1914 and the last 1941. It is now abandoned.
Only about two miles long, Green Creek runs into Cub Creek at Brook Forest. Name origin unknown.
Myron Neusteter and nephew, Norman Gross, bought land from Vernon Z. Reed Jr. The Jewish organization was looking for a house and future site of a golf course in the 1900’s. Green Gables has been annexed to Denver.
Built in 1968. Was named for nearby Green Gables Country Club.
Placed on the National Register of Historic Places October 1, 1974, 5JF192.
The dense green growth on this mountain was the probable source of its name.
Green Mountain was used for hunting elk, deer, and jackrabbits. It covers over 7,000 acres, 900 hundred acres under irrigation by the Agricultural and Welch (Golden Flume) ditches. Green Mountain was formally part of the Hayden Brothers Ranch that stretched westward from Harrison Street to the Hogback. John and Lou Hayden acquired the land in the early 1900s by assembling hundreds of subdivided lots that had been sold during the 1880s. The sale of the 50- by 150-foot lots by mail throughout the U.S. and Great Britain was one of the first sales of this kind. Col. Jacob Downing previously owned the land. The Hayden brothers operated the cattle ranch through World War II. In 1941, the federal government began taking title of eminent domain through the ranch property for the Remington Arms Plant, now the Federal Center. The Hayden’s donated 360 acres to Jefferson County Fairgrounds for the Westernaires and their needs, plus land for an Open Space park in memory of William F. Hayden.
The majority of Green Mountain has been donated by or purchased from the Hayden family since 1972 with funding from Jeffco Open Space and the City of Lakewood.
Originally Landmark Baptist for 4 1/2 years. In 1962 moved from Alameda and Moore Streets in 1963. Facilities were used by the Jefferson County Health Department, for a well baby clinic on Wednesdays.
Named for the nearby mountain.
Built in 1962. Was named for its Geographic location.
Built in 1972. Named for the geographic area.
This park is a neighborhood park which has been used for little league football and baseball with picnic facilities.
The land was originally registered in a mining claim for “Happy” Jack Schofield. The copper mine was unsuccessful and Schofield abandoned it and the cabin. The property was homesteaded in c. 1871 and the ranch house was built in 1894. In 1895, Edwin Eugene Culver moved in and established a timber pre-emption nearby. Culver filed a homestead claim and proved up on it in three years by building a ranch house, corrals, and plowing the necessary acreage. The log house occupied by the family was built in 1895 of hand-hewn logs. Culver ran cattle on open range from Pikes Peak to Long’s Peak and drove cattle to market in Denver, often with his daughter, Ethel, as one of the wranglers. Culver ran cattle until 1927, dying in 1938. The 1895 ranch house and carriage barn are the only two original buildings remaining on the property. Many of the original outbuildings were razed during the construction of Highway 126. The ranch has continued to be the vacation home of the Myers family, Ethel Culver having married Horace Myers. The cabin is without electricity, plumbing, and running water to this day. The ranch was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 1, 1974 (5JF.193).
The origin of the name of Green Street is not clear. It was re-designated as part of Ford Street in 1888, the first Golden street to be renamed.
Platted by Carl and Elizabeth Edwards in 1956. Name from Green Valley Ranch from which subdivision was formed.
This was the first wagon road into the mountains north of Clear Creek Canyon. It opened with fire wheels May 4, 1859 and was about 22 miles long. It was engineered by John Gregory to accommodate supplies of gold seekers from Indiana. The road left Golden Gate City in S20, T35, R70W, Golden Quad. It climbed 7,120 feet to enter the mountain and proceeded west/northwest along the back of the mountains. It reached Guy Gulch through Booten Gulch at S17, T3S, R71W Ralston Buttes Quad. It thence approximated contemporary Golden Gate Canyon Road as far as Dory Hill in S30, T2S, R72W, Black Hawk Quad. The road proceeded south down the west fork of Four-mile Gulch staying west of principal gulch to reach Clear Creek in S7, T3S, R72W Black Hawk Quad. The eastern most portion, from prairie west to Guy Gulch, was used less than two months by gold seekers. “The road was exceedingly steep and difficult to ascend. On arriving at the summit, I was astonished beyond measure at the scenery…”
Gregory Street was named for famed gold discoverer John Hamilton Gregory, who had lived near Golden in the gold rush times. It was platted with the Golden Park Addition, and for many years was the northernmost opened street in Golden. Its name was changed by ordinance in 1904. Later, a circular street up Cemetery Hill above it was named Gregory Circle.
Genevieve Chandler Phipps was divorced from multi-millionaire Colorado Senator Lawrence Phipps, bought 1,000 acres on upper Bear Creek, west of Evergreen, and in 1916-1917 built an elegant mansion and a complex of buildings for herself and two daughters. In subsequent years and through several owners, Greystone has functioned as a family home, cattle ranch and guest ranch for the rich and famous. Name source is unknown.
Built ca. 1882. Mr. Grosser worked for Mr. Beckett and Mr. Ross. He built the jail with the door pins on the inside. He was the first prisoner in the new jail and the first to break out.
This c. 1899 one-story, front gabled, wood frame dwelling has 594 sq. ft. of living area with two bedrooms and a 180 sq. ft. enclosed porch on its south side. Roy and Florence Gunn were the original owners with Glen Niles purchasing the property on Oct. 15, 1929.
About 7.5 miles long, this is the largest canyon opening on Clear Creek Canyon from the north. It was named for John Guy, the first settler to homestead in the gulch in 1859. It was full of beaver dams prior to settlement. It accommodated a well-traveled wagon road between Clear Creek and the upper regions of Golden Gate Canyon. It was considered by Loveland for a railroad route; by the time railroad construction reached the mouth of the gulch, Loveland decided to continue on up Clear Creek Canyon. The lowest mile of the gulch is the roughest; the wagon road was eventually abandoned. Foot traffic used a game trail that climbs over the ridge between Guy and Huntsman Gulches (see 1942 Denver Mountain Parks Map) to where the railroad ran on the north side of Clear Creek. A stop on the Colorado Central Railroad. (See Evergreen Quad, Railroad Bridges and Depots, Clear Creek Region, Jefferson County.)
This 2.75-mile long road traversed Guy Gulch to connect with Clear Creek Canyon Wagon Road on the south and Gregory Road on the north.
Named for John C. Guy, early homesteader in Guy Gulch.
Named for Guy Hill which takes its name from John C. Guy, early homesteader in Guy Gulch. Built in 1876. Building: 1-story frame, o.d. 30.5′ x 19.5′, shingle roof; white with green trim outside, light color inside; 2 windows each on long side, 1 window in door; 1 entrance; anteroom with water container on table, closet, coat hooks; 1 school room, stove at front of room. Surrounding area: swings and teeter-totter; 2-door outhouse; stable; in later years separate teacherage converted from well house and coal-storage shed. Building sold April 1961 to Victor Nelson. Eventually acquired by Frank Stermole and donated to Golden Civic Fdn. Moved to 12th and Ford Streets in Golden in 1962. Still standing as historical exhibit. At its original location served also as community center for an occasional dance, meetings, Sunday School services.