This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.

IDE Storage Pond

Filled from Big Dry Creek (Walnut). The earliest appropriation date May 22, 1986.


Idledale School

First School was a one-room frame building north of present building. It was in District 42, closed in 1964 and is now used as a community church. In the early days it was named Starbuck, after John Starbuck.


Idlewild Park

This park has a playground, picnic tables, horseshoe court, flower gardens and open play area.


Idlewild Street

This was the former name of Harlan Street from W. 38th Avenue to W. 48th Avenue.


Ikenberry Cabin

Built in 1892, according to Jefferson County tax records.




Independence Park

Independence Park was purchased by the Arvada City Bond Referendum approved by the voters in 1974 and the City’s share of Open Space funds, approved December 15, 1975. A resolution passed by Arvada City Council, granted $28,000 to North Jeffco to develop the park the following year, and voted to name it Independence Park in 1977. Owners of Oberon Ditch Company and the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad Co. requested that a durable pipe be constructed and channelled through a residential area to carry the 100-year flood and or waters coming from Hayes Lake to Ralston Creek. Jefferson County Commissioners approved Open Space funds be used to build Hayes Lake spillway in 1980.


Indian Gulch

Called Indian Gulch by local ranchers because of early Arapahoe Indian travois trail the gulch accommodated. Tributary (left hand) of Clear Creek headwaters only. S21, T3S, R70W, south of Tucker Gulch. B.H. 1906 (1939), Atlas of Colorado. Highway Commission, 1943 (1954).


Indian Hills

Post Office established June 23, 1925 by George Olinger. Olinger came to this mountain valley about 1918. Promoters of the development in this area gave it the name of Indian Hills.


Indian Hills Community Hall and Firehouse

The property is associated with the Indian Hills Improvement Association. C. 1953, this police, fire, and health protection organization converted and expanded the former 1923, one room wood frame Parmalee School to serve as a combination volunteer firehouse and community meeting hall. It was listed on the State Register of Historic Places (5JF1041) on May 14,1997.



Indian Hills Post Office

Established in June, 1925, Frank Brinkhaus was appointed postmaster. It carried on postal operations in Chief’s Inn – later named Trading Post. George Olinger of Denver came to this area in 1918 to subdivide mountain property. These developers gave Indian Hills its name. Because of increased population, a new building was built in 1951.


Indian Hills Trading Post

Designed and built by Al Rigg, Jr., in 1923 for Denverite George W. Olinger, this rectangular log lodge has twin dormers on the second story and fronted by a large stone porch. The lodge was originally called Ho Cha Nee Stea, or Chief’s Inn, and was the first stopping place for buses and cars bringing sightseers and prospective buyers to Indian Hills. In 1925, the first post office in Indian Hills opened in the structure with Frank Brinkhaus appointed postmaster.




Indian Tree Golf Course

“Golf course construction was authorized in 1968 as a result of a major bond issue passed by North Jeffco District residents. In 1969 the course was officially opened and named Indian Tree Golf Club,” named for a legendary hackberry tree in the area which became a landmark, atop a hill, for the pioneers in the 1860s and 1870s. Indians had planted seeds on hills as a guidepost for their trails. Before the highway department could move the tree, vandals demolished it in 1937. A slab of the tree was taken to the U.S. Forestry Service who determined that the tree sprouted in 1807, was later struck by lightning, and had survived three severe droughts. The Indian Tree Golf Club is located on the old Schneider homestead.


Indian Tree Post Office

Indian Tree Post Office was named for Indian Tree-Marshall Shopping Center, in which it is located. Dedication ceremony was held on March 16, 1991. Johnnie Summerfield is the new Station Manager.


Indian Tree Village Park

This park was located in Indian Tree Village Subdivision by an agreement between North Jeffco and Tanco Corporation. The property was deeded to North Jeffco from the City of Arvada, May 17, 1971. Indian Tree Homeowners Association requested the North Jeffco Board name Indian Tree Mini Park after Emil Schneider, Sr. The park was rededicated August 10, 1979 and named Emil Schneider,Sr. Park for the former owner of the park site.







Irwin Language Development

Florence Irwin was principal of Washington Heights School. This school has been used for regular school, then phased out, and now back in use for language development for about one year.


Isiah Greene/Carl Kuehster Sr. Homestead

Originally homesteaded by Isiah Greene, the original stone and log cellar house and barn were built in 1877. Later, Carl Kuehster, born in 1881, purchased the homestead and built the two-story frame house and another cattle and hay barn. The civic minded Kuehsters were active in the Lamb School and the local Grange.