In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
Elizabeth (Clemens) and Rev. J.F. White, formerly of Penryn, Cornwall, England, came to Colorado in 1876. Rev. White served as a minister in Silver Plume, Idaho Springs, Longmont, Golden and Black Hawk before he and his family moved to Arvada in 1890. A two-story house was built for him in 1893 on Grandview Avenue. This home is in very good condition: pillared front porch across the width of the house; and noticable gingerbread under the gabled roof on the south, east, and west sides. White is given credit for being the original editor of “The Arvada Enterprise,” July 3, 1908, and was also president of the First State Bank in 1925.
A small general store built in early 1880s was bought by John W. Green in 1883. The sign above the entrance read, “J.W. Green, Dealer in Everything.” Fire destroyed the frame building in 1898 and a new structure was built of two-foot granite blocks from a local quarry. The store stands today and houses a U.S. Post Office and is the location of the local precinct polling place. It was the ticket office for the Colorado & Southern Railroad (narrow-gauge) until it was discontinued in 1937. The fourth generation of the Green family now assists in the operation of the store which continues to deal in everything. Placed on National Register of Historic Places, October 1974. (5JF.192).
Formerly called Birdland Park, the name was changed to Jack B. Tomlinson Park after his death for the contributions he had made to the City of Arvada and to North Jeffco Metropolitan Recreation and Park District. Jack was on the first Board of Directors for North Jeffco, a member of City Council, 1963-1967, and served as Mayor 1965-1967. He was awarded Arvada’s Man-of-the-Year in 1960 for his work with youth groups. Jack Tomlinson died on March 26, 1987, the park was named for him October 19, 1987 and a gazebo in the park was dedicated to him in June of 1889.
Jackson Hill was an historic marker along the Mt. Vernon Road to the Jackson gold diggings in the mountains. It stands above the junction where the road turned southward before heading for Mt. Vernon Canyon.
Jackson’s Rapids are a turbulent section of Clear Creek as it debouches from the mountains. It was originally named after an incident in June 1859 when famed gold discoverer George A. Jackson was swept up in a flash flood while fishing and nearly drowned. Rescuer and partner Thomas L. Golden tended to him until well enough to return to their base camp, by this time being laid out as a town. The entirety of Jackson’s Rapids were acquired in 1997-98 to be perpetually preserved as Jefferson County Open Space.
Built in 1884 by William Beckett, aided by Mr. Crosser. The jail was completely enclosed and is now just a room in the house. Mr. Palmer lived in the house until his late 70s and had spent 30 years building it from reclaimed material. All inside and outside walls are solid wood and are insulated with from 6″ to 24″ of spun glass taken from old refrigerators and stoves. All floors are made with hard oak. It is today an ingenious example of recycling, economy and practicality, which is typical of our Morrison pioneer ancestors.
Built ca. 1873. Mr. Jameison was the distributor for Conoco Oil for many years. Pete Morrison, the town founder’s grandson, lived here when he was a young man working on the railroad and rodeoing with Clyde Hocking, Edgar Knolls, Joe Schrock and other old timers. The house is now a rental (residential).
This park has a playground, walking trails, picnic tables and open play area.
The coal mine was opened by J.M. Thomas and Evan Jones in 1878. They sank a main shaft 100 feet. A north level extended 720 feet and a south level 60 feet. At these two levels five rooms were opened out. In April 1879, James Prout leased the mine and sank the main shaft 70 feet deeper. In 1880 the mine was producing 20 tons per day. 1879 coal output was 1000 tons. 20 men were employed with four teams hauling coal.
A one-story, frame, 1305 sq. ft. house built in 1923. An estimated three additions converted the house into a duplex.
As the community developed, this section of the Prospect Trail was named Jefferson Avenue. Later it became West 44th Avenue. It was also called the North Golden Road.
The church was named for the site, Jefferson Avenue, now 44th Avenue. Founded in 1891, they met in homes and Fruitdale School at first. In 1904 the church was built on the southeast corner of Jefferson Avenue and Howell (44th and Kipling). In 1960 a new church was built on the northwest corner of 44th and Kipling. This was a mission church of Wheat Ridge Methodist until 1949 when it was assigned its first full-time minister.
The structure was built in 1937 as an automobile repair shop with attached living quarters. Most recent use as a homeless shelter.
Opened to the public in 1993. Within the Center’s boundaries are the District Attorney’s Building, the Sheriff and Detention Facility, Human Services, and the Administration and Courts Facility. The Administration and Courts Facility is often called the “Taj Mahal” because of its beautiful golden dome and grand appearance. The complex was designed to represent an open and accessible government. The $102 million courthouse is a monument of tan and brown cast stone culminating in a 130-foot high glass dome atrium from which four wings arc through landscaped courtyards. The atrium’s lobby is trimmed with brass and cherry wood with balconies extending in semi-circular bays from the upper three floors, and neutral colors are sparked by bands of blue, green, and rose terrazzo and bits of red granite in the floors. To one side are county administrative offices; opposite are twenty-eight courtrooms. The buff precast concrete exterior has darker squares and crosses inset to humanize its massive scale.
Built in 1928. Merged the Tanglewood School in Golden and Open High School in Evergreen.
Located throughout the county, it is a department authorized by the voters in 1972 to acquire, develop, maintain and administer open space lands and historic properties for the enjoyment of the citizens. A one-half cent sales tax has provided funds, up to the present, for preservation of more than 18,000 acres in 25 parks.
There are playgrounds, tennis courts, walking trails, and picnic tables in this area.
The new building for the Jefferson High School, grades 9-12, was completed in 1957. In 1955, when Edgewater and Mountair High Schools were combined into a single school, a vote of the student body renamed the school Jefferson High. When the new building opened in 1958, it carried the name Jefferson High. Triads were added in 1964, library additions were built in 1966 and 1972, and a girls’ locker room was expanded in 1986. The school is named for Thomas Jefferson and Jefferson County.
According to former student Sid Martin, the school was opened in 1959, with his class being the first to attend all three grades (10-12).
Established in 1971.
Mountain peak located about three miles west-northwest of Evergreen. Named for John Hendry Jenkins, a Colorado businessman associated with the development of the Bear Creek area, in recognition of his public service to his state and nation.
This park has a playground, walking trails, picnic tables and flower gardens.
There were about 35 buildings of different shapes and sizes and ages, positioned on about 100 acres of land, which was known as the American Medical Center of Denver. Now devoted to cancer research and treatment. Dr. Charles Spivak was founder of J.C.R.S. in 1904. TB was rampant at the time and weather conditions here were beneficial in treatment. Thousands of volunteers gave money,J.C.R.S. would take anyone who needed help and care. Dr. Spivak, a Russian Jew, came to America in his teen years, working as manual labor of anything to earn money to go to Jefferson Medical college in Philadelphia, receiving his diploma in 1890. He taught at the Denver Medical School. He helped acquired necessary text books for students and helping to add to the Medical Library. Dr. Spivak was instrumental in starting J.C.R.S. because most hospitals only took special cases of TB. Fresh air and sunshine were the best treatment known for tuberculosis. There 34 tents and used for 15 years. Doctors and volunteers responded with their skills and money. The farm raised grains and food, they ran a dairy and poultry farm, a book bindery, a print shop, and a general store. One 2 story-building was destroyed by fire in 1920. Dr. Spivak toured the country and came back with money to build a bigger hospital to serve 204 patients. Many people who came to be cured of TB are still around here. Many worked around the grounds in many capacities. One ex-patient worked in the Post office, which started out in a tent, known as Sanatorium, Colorado. The District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 26, 1980 (5JF.178).
John Perkins James Ditch was in Water District #7. Claimant in 1936 was John Perkins James, dating from October 1, 1893. This ditch picks up unused water and seepage from the Brown and Baugh Ditch.
Built ca. 1876 of native stone and still owned by John Ross’s daughter’s family. Mary Quaintance Estate of Golden, Colorado. The building is now vacant and has been for a few years.
John S.Risdon Ditch was in Water District No. 7 and had a priority dated December 31, 1875, out of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1936 were Estate of Mary I. Stewart, Swayze Estate, Matt Hawkinson, Edward B. and Minnie B. Van Hooser, Isan R. Barber, Lauretta and Holland and Gustaf B. Bloom.
One-story log cabin not at its original site.
This reservoir is located in Clement Park and was purchased from the Grant Family by Jefferson County Open Space. It is now part of the Foothills Recreation District.
Built in 1873. It was the Methodist Church’s first parsonage. Andy, under pressure, accompanied his wife when she wanted to move uptown. Mr. Johnson worked for the Morrison Post Office from about 1910 to 1950. Mrs. Beatta Johnson lived 97 years.
Built ca. 1910. This house was built for the parsonage of the Methodist Church in Morrison on Market Street (Pillar of Fire).
The claimant in 1936 was Elizabeth Jane Kirkpatrick. The reservoir is filled from Clear Creek via Agricultural Ditch and Salisbury Lateral. Construction began March 1, 1887.
Juchem and Quellette Ditch in Water District #7 had priority #30 (May 28, 1863). It was filled with water diverted from Clear Creek, via south bank of Slough Ditch. Claimants in 1884 were John Juchem and Moses Quellette. Both were early farmers in the Arvada area and their properties show on Willet’s “1899 Farm Map.” State Engineers Records show transfer to Farmers High Line and Reno-Juchem Ditches, June 6, 1989.
This Jefferson County District R-1 School was built in 1955. It was named for Henry J. Juchem, an Arvada grocer who had served on the Arvada School Board for nine years. He was the son of pioneer farmer, John Juchem, who owned 400 acres between Kipling and Garrison streets and between Grandview and W. 44th Avenues.