In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
In 1904, the Denver Union Water Company built a sand filtering plant 1/2 mile east of Waterton. The name was later changed to Kassler, after G.W. Kassler, president of the Denver Union Water Company from 1915 to 1918.
The Hugh T. Craig settled in Mt. Vernon Canyon from Virginia from 1870. They left a legacy of much open land that became granted to the City of Denver or purchased by Mt. Vernon Country Club. Katherine L. Craig grew up in the area and became Jefferson County Public School Superintendent and was elected three times to the position of State Superintendent of Public Instruction from 1905-1930. An oversized native stone marks her grave next to her parents at Rockland Cemetery. She specifically donated the 56-acre tract to Denver Mountain Parks “for the education of youth.” She wrote Craig’s Brief History of Colorado “for Teachers and Students” in 1923.
The Works Progress Administration established a Civil Conservation Corps base camp on this land to help build US Highway 40, Genesee Parks roads, and other public roads during the 1930s. The government financed buildings, which have been improved and maintained by the Girl Scout Organization. They have also added playground and picnic areas, and provided wildfire mitigation and wild land stewardship services.
Mt. Vernon Metro District (Country Club) Open Space, a nine hole golf course in the 1920s, is adjacent to this park on the north. The Genesee Crossing residential community was developed adjacent to the west boundary off South Mount Vernon Country Club Road.
This Water District #7 lake was named for Dr. James Kelly, who owned farm land at this location. Claimants for adjudication in 1936 were Christ Weber, Louisa Weber, S.A. Mohart, and W.S. Wilcoxen. This lake was constructed in 1865 drawing water from Dry Creek (Kelly Creek) (Van Bibber).
Built in 1879 by contractor D.M. Orr for Dr. James Kelly, this two-story, brick, 3,392-square-foot house contained six large rooms and cost $8,000. Dr. Kelly died at the age of 88 from a fall in the house and left the house to his son, Dr. John Kelly. After the son’s death in 1928, his widow, Addie, lived there until 1943. The Kelly Mansion was occupied by the family for 64 years. The structure is Golden’s best example of the Italianate style. This house is characterized by a low-pitched hipped roof, widely overhanging eaves with decorative brackets. The beige porch was added in 1903.
Origin of name has not been learned.
In 1953 this open pit mine operated 150 days with two men. 40 feet wide and 70 long and 32 feet deep with nearly vertical walls, it produced feldspar, beryl, and mica. In 1953 the mine produced 86 tons of feldspar valued at 433 dollars ,532 lbs. of beryl valued at 133 dollars, and 5 lbs. of mica valued at 92 dollars.
This school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It was opened in 1970 for grades seven and eight with a capacity of 800. It was named for the nearby Ken-Caryl Ranch.
The population in 1980 was 10,661. Bradford House ruins are all that remain of the town of Bradford, founded by Major Robert B. Bradford in the 1860s. The name Ken-Caryl was from the names Kent and Carroll, the sons of John C. Shaffer.
Built in 1976, it was originally the sales office for Ken-Caryl Ranch. Today it is the headquarters of activity for the Ken-Caryl Ranch Master Association and the Ken-Caryl Metropolitan District. Ken-Caryl Ranch consists of 9139 acres with almost 4000 acres additional in open space, which is owned by the master association. The Ranch House sits on a 17-acre park and houses the recreational and administrative staff.
A wood frame, 58 feet by 24 feet, Tudor Revival house. The building plan is a modified U-shape topped by an intersecting gable roof and faced with brick.
Named after Frank C. Kendrick, an irrigation specialist and railroad surveyor, who moved west from Ohio in 1872. The family owned acreage extending west from Old Kipling to Green Mountain, including 3 farms, 4 lakes, and 2 ponds.
Built in 1970. Was named for the Kendrick’s family. There were 4 lakes on the property.
Begins about one mile southwest of Conifer and runs in a generally southeast direction following Foxton Road from Highway 285 to the North Fork of the South Platte River three-quarters of a mile northeast of Foxton. Named for George O. Kennedy, an early settler who lived in the Hutchinson and Beaver Ranch YMCA Camp areas from 1860 to 1895.
A gulch beginning between Bergen Park and Hidden Valley and running southeast to join Bear Creak about a mile east of Kittredge. Kerr Gulch joins Swede Gulch about 1-1/2 miles northwest of Kittredge. Named after Sheriff Kerr, a Jefferson County Deputy.
This Water District #7 reservoir was named for W.H. Ketner, a former area dairy farmer.
Built in 1877, this two-story brick house with eight rooms remained with the Kimball family for more than forty five years. Until 1977, it occupied two full lots. The original owner, George K. Kimball, first came to Colorado in 1860 for the mining and milling in Central City. He then moved to Golden to work as a passenger conductor and freight agent for the Colorado Central Railroad. Kimball eventually was Golden postmaster, Golden city clerk, and Jefferson County Commissioner. He also served on the board of the State Industrial School.
The Kimbrough Home, 5591 Carr Street, was built in 1907 by the Denver Shale Brick Company. George and Clara Bell (Swadley) Kimbrough inherited the brickyard property at Oberon and Carr Streets when Clara Bell’s father, George Swadley, died in 1906. Swadley also owned the property where the Kimbrough house was built. The date 1907 was inscribed on the front steps when the house was completed. The carriage house to the rear has been converted into a garage.
The call letters meant, “Key to the Inter-Mountain Network”. KIMN was the largest independent station in the Denver area. KIMN began broadcasting from the Albany Hotel. As the station expanded, it was moved to Edgewater. An exclusive service offered by KIMN was an Air- Alert during specific times of the day. During these times, Don Martin would fly over Denver directing traffic where there were accidents or traffic jams. KIMN was relocated and built in 1954. In the early 1980s KIMN was replaced by the Edgewater Market Place.
The church was organized on Palm Sunday, 1958. Services were held in schools until Valentines Day, 1960 when services were held in the new church building. Charles W. Hoenig was the first pastor and served from 1957 until 1964. Cornerstone was laid for the second phase of the church in 1967. The third phase of construction for six new classrooms, kitchen, offices and parish hall was dedicated on Palm Sunday, 1982. The last major construction was that of a pipe organ in the sanctuary which was dedicated on March 8, 1987.
This church was organized in June, 1973. The first Pastor, Ivan Gunderman, dedicated the new church building in March, 1975.
King Street was named after a prominent pioneer merchant of Golden. It was renamed in 1904 by city ordinance to 7th Street. Owing to construction of Highway 58, only 3 blocks remain today.
Claimant in 1936 was E.H. Kingsbury. Construction was started September 1, 1888, and filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via Farmers High Line Canal and Bright & Brown Lateral. Abandoned February 3, 1988. Kingsbury lived at present day 72nd and Sheridan.
It was named for John S. Kinnear, land owner. The Water District #7 reservoir has a appropriation date of March 4, 1902, with water diverted out of Coal Creek.
Named after an early settler, Mr. Kinney.
From 38th Ave. to Ridge Rd., this street was originally named for Carson Howell, a veteran of the 1864 Sand Creek Massacre, who settled in 1860 in Jefferson County. Today, this street is named for the British author, Rudyard Kipling.
This 1904 1-1/2 story, front gabled, brick 1,260 sq. ft. bungalow was built by Otto and Alice Kirkley. Kirkley was a clerk at W.A. Hover & Company.
Established in 1955 as the Kittredge Union Church. The building was constructed by Justis Roehling in 1925 and was the Kittredge Elementary School building until 1967 when it was deeded to the church. Name from community.
From the Golden Globe of March 3, 1884: “District 3 election next May to vote for tax for new school building.” The school was built, a red one-room frame structure. It was a school without a name, but finally the children chose the name “Sunnyside”. Charles M. Kittredge donated land near the old school and was responsible for the construction of a new school by Justis Roehling in 1925. Classes were held there until 1964, when the Kittredge Elementary School Building was deeded to the Kittredge Community Church.
Located on Highway 74 between Morrison and Evergreen. Platted in 1920 by The Kittredge Land Company which bought 300 acres of the Luther Ranch. Charles M. Kittredge applied for a Post Office in 1921, and the office was opened in 1923.
A Denver Kiwanis Club committee purchased a 240-acre tract east of Genesee Mountain in the mid-1920s. A platt allowed as many as 370 summer cabins, a summer camp for underprivileged children, a golf course, a permanent camp for Boy Scouts, private lodges, and a club house. Kiwanians worldwide were invited to invest and visit to enjoy mountain recreation. Several cabins and lodges were built by wealthy club members before the Great Depression halted the development. The land was incorporated in the massive Genesee development approved in 1973.
Built ca. 1888. Dr. Frank Luce lived here when he came from Denver in 1890. Around 1915 he moved to the house next door. Mrs. Effie Knolls lived here after she married James Knolls. Effie May’s parents were Nancy Jane and James Groom. They came from Kentucky in a covered wagon. They had 12 children, and Effie was the eldest. She occupied the house until her death in 1961. Her husband James was a rock mason. He and Effie had 14 children. Their son, Edgar Knolls, drove the stage coach in Morrison, worked in the rock quarries, and had other jobs in the area.
This brief connection for the Golden and Ralston Railroad was established in 1878, on the west side of North Table mountain to Murphy Coal mine. To accommodate traffic originating on the “Knox Branch” the Colorado Central added a third narrow gauge rail north from Golden to Dry Creek. By 1880, the entire line from the Colorado Central connection to the Murphy Coal mine had been abandoned. It is not known why the Knox Railroad was named so.
About one mile long. Named for Ernest S. Koch who homesteaded in the gulch in 1862. The original buildings are in ruins, but the large red brick house c. 1900 is still standing. The road through Koch Gulch linked the original Gregory Road with Gregory Toll Road.
This church was established in September 1971, and the Northern American Baptist Church, at the above address, was purchased in 1983. Rev. Woong Kil was the first pastor.
Charles B. Kountze was one of Denver’s pioneer bankers and had extensive land holdings in the Alameda area, including a portion of the Belmar Estate where Kountze Lake bears his name. In 1971, five high school students discovered that Kountze Lake had been drained. As part of their Citizen’s Action Lab the group adopted the preservation of the Belmar grounds as their semester’s project. They obtained 3,000 signatures on petitions, wrote letters to the editor, and even appeared on television to promote their cause. Nothing immediate resulted from their efforts, but they did bring to the forefront the need to preserve the property. Two years later, in 1973, the people of Lakewood voted to purchase the land, over 127 acres. Cement for the construction of a widened Colfax Avenue that was to become a part of the transcontinental U.S. Highway 40 in the 1930’s, “wound up in the bottom of Kountze Lake…”
Name, with a slight change in spelling, from John Krynders who homesteaded land adjoining the peak.
This was a private family plot, with the first burial in 1882. Presently not in use, but it is still maintained by members of the Kuehster family.
Frederick Kuehster came to the vicinity in 1875 and built a two-story frame structure in 1877 with a dry wall cellar and several log outbuildings. The property was named the Kuehster Ranch. This homestead house was still standing in 1981 as the Jack Kuehster family home, grandson of Frederick. In March of 1880, Elbert Headley filed for a homestead portion of this land and built a one-room log cabin, furnishing it with one crudely made table and an oil drum stove. Headley and another miner by the name of young occupied it while working a nearby mine. It still stands and is known as the Miner’s or Headley Cabin.
Land purchased in 1959. School opened on February 3, 1961, and was dedicated May 22, 1961. Named for pioneer, Hattie Kullerstrand, an active supporter of schools and education throughout her life time.