This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
It was built in 1900 by John L. J. Jerome, who engaged architect Frederick J. Sterner to design a large two-story shingle house along with five additional structures. It was decorated in the William Morris style with train loads of furniture, pictures, wallpaper, etc. from New York, Philadelphia and London. Almost unchanged to this day, except for the addition of a swimming pool on the grounds, it remains the summer home to descendants of John L.J. Jerome. It was listed on National Register of Historic Places on July 20, 1973, 5JF190.
In 1963 this uranium mine was operated by the Cotter Corporation and operated with two men for 50 days. In 1975 this mine was operated by the Reserve Oil and Mineral Corp. for 90 days with four employees.
1972 Colowest Development Co. operated 150 days with six employees
1976 Energy Fields Nuclear, Inc. operated 40 days withs 3 employees.
1976, 2000 tons of ore
1975 Golden Mining Corp. operated 240 days with five men
1968 Kerr-McGee Oil Corp. operated 120 days with five men
1971 Reserve Oil and Mineral Corp. had an eight foot by eight foot tunnel in about 3,500 feet to face.
In 1876 operated by South Deer Creek Mining Co. showed a crevice of galena ore.
Ladybug Park was one of the City Parks approved in the 1974 referendum. The name was suggested to the Board by a neighborhood child and accepted by City Council, March 22, 1976.
Built ca. 1870. The LaGrow family occupied this house until 1975. Additions were made as the family grew. Mr. LaGrow came from Gillsburg, Illinois in 1868. Andy Jordon (his brother-in-law) also lived in a small house on this same property, but it burned down. Mr. LaGrow’s wife’s parents also lived with them. Her father was Flavious Jordon, a Civil War veteran.
A Jefferson County Open Space Public Park of 316 acres acquired in 1987 along and south of Bear Creek just west of Idledale. It has 1-1/2 miles of Bear Creek stream frontage. Named by subdividers; source unknown. Previous owners called it Mountain Nook.
This lake is in a natural drainage area dating from farm irrigation days of early times in Arvada. It has been improved and incorporated into part of Lake Arbor Park, and both received their names from a nearby subdivision.
In June 1974, the City of Arvada purchased the lease for Lake Arbor Golf Course at a Small Business Administration Foreclosure Auction and sublet the operation as a public course to Top Golf, Inc. In October, 1975, the city canceled the sublease due to the financial difficulties of Top Golf. City personnel were hired to operate the course. The city purchased Lake Arbor Golf Course in 1976 with a portion of the city’s share of Jefferson County Open Space Funds. The city also purchased the partially completed club house and, upon completion, leased it to a private operator. The City of Arvada has operated the restaurant since 1987. Lake Arbor Golf Course is named for the subdivision in which it is located.
Lake Arbor Lake was the last of the city’s 30 bond issue parks to be completed in 1977. A Resolution authorizing the Mayor and Arvada City Clerk to execute a contract to purchase Real Estate at Lake Arbor for $355,000 was passed May 5, 1975. Funds for the project came from the referendum, purchase of 12 acres by Open Space, summer 1976, and $100,000 received from the Federal Government. The total complex included 98 acres, 35 of the 98 acres is water surface, originally known as Church Lake, or Tynon Lake. Arrangements were also made for school land (Far Horizons Park) between Lamar St., Pomona Drive and the housing development north of W. 80th Avenue for recreational purposes to be maintained by North Jeffco. A Joint Park Fund between the City of Arvada and North Jeffco was initiated as a result of the City’s bond drive for 30 parks, approved in 1974. More recently, North Jeffco contributes to the Park Fund but does not manage and maintain the City’s Parks.
Lake Arbor Recreation Center includes a swimming pool, gym, game rooms, concessions and was approved by City Council October 19, 1970. This is a City owned center, and was funded by City’s share of Open Space Funds and Witkin Homes 6% developers fee for recreational purposes.
This lake is part of Lakeside Amusement Park.
First platted in 1882 and replatted in 1889. This is a part of the James W. Richards 160-acre property. Mr. Richards excluded about 3 acres, the grounds for “country residence.” This is the restored Richards Hart Estate owned by the city of Wheat Ridge.
This plat was recorded Dec. 7, 1886. Evidently, the lake view was of Berkeley Lake West, now known as Lake Rhoda in Lakeside Amusement Park.
This is a re-subdivision of Block 3 of the Henderson’s subdivision recorded on Nov. 11, 1889.
Lakecrest Park was introduced by the City of Arvada in 1985 as a park/school facility, and was dedicated a year later. By 1992, the park’s name had been changed to Northey Park, which was dedicated with a monument in May. Mike Northey was an Arvada Police officer who was killed in a job-related accident in 1979. A native of Harrisburg, Pa., Northey was 25 years of age when he was killed.
The city of Lakeside includes Lakeside Amusement Park, race track, Shopping Center (first in Jefferson County and now demolished), and Lake Rhoda. The name chosen by Adolph Zang in 1907. Lakeside was also known as the White City. The facilities were painted white and profusely lighted. Ben Krasner and associates acquired the park in 1936. His daughter, Rhoda, later became owner and manager of Lakeside Amusement Park.
In 1955 incorporated by Jerry Von Frellick, consisting of 58 acres. Opened August 1956. Denver Dry Goods Co and Montgomery Wards key occupants. this was the first shopping center in Jefferson County. No city sales tax. Lakeside National Bank was a major addition in 1959.
The incorporation of the Town of Lakeside and Lakeside Amusement Park in 1908 prompted the name change of the station from Berkeley to Lakeside Station at Forty-sixth Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard.
The congregation met in the V.F.W. Hall on 14th and Carr Streets,and then in Mary Lou Runyan’s home. With her interest and dreams of a church, land was acquired at 20th and Kipling streets, plus 3 houses on 21st Place, used for Sunday School, mental health facilities and a parsonage called the White House. They celebrated their 40th anniversary in 1991.
It’s been said Frederick G. Bonfils started the Lakewood Country Club as an act of defiance because he had been denied admittance about 1907-1911. The original founders were M.A. McLaughlin, Theodore C. Smith, J.Frank Adams and L.F. Twitchell.
There are playgrounds, tennis courts and a open play area here.
They rent the playground space to the Y.M.C.A. Children day-care program.
The first two meeting places were abandoned because of fires. Members donated both money and energy to build a new Grange that is still standing at W.14th and Brentwood street. It was dedicated in Oct. 6, 1928.
Lakewood Gulch originates on the north west foot of Green Mountain in Lakewood, flows east through Sixth Avenue West Park, and continues east through Lakewood into Denver, where it joins the South Platte River southwest of the intersection of I-25 and Colfax Avenue.
Built in 1958. Named for the area of Lakewood.
This park has lighted ballfields and tennis courts, picnic facilities, lighted football and soccer fields, volleyball court and concession stand.
Lakewood’s first post office opened in the metal foundry building of the Denver Hardware Manufacturing Company near West 13th Avenue and Brentwood Street. On April 21, 1892, Joseph B. Wight, a pioneer settler, became postmaster and his name and the designation, “Lakewood, Colo.” were printed on tags used in building mail destined for Denver. Not until 1937 did today’s city have a post office branch all its own, and during those three-and-a-half decades Lakewood residents often were listed as living in Edgewater. A second post office was opened in June 1937. James Tinsley was first postmaster when the office opened at 7640 West Colfax Avenue, June 7, 1937. During the next three decades it was burglarized and used as a front for counterfeiting. Frank Davidson was postmaster from 1940 to 1968 and can tell many stories about the history. The Lakewood Post Office moved to 1477 Carr Street, the next move was to 8765 14th Avenue.
Construction planned for 1993. underdeveloped open space adjacent to 300 acres of greenbelt.
As early as 1881, many private homes and a school house near Colfax and Wadsworth Avenues were utilized for the church. After the school burned down in 1892, a new building was constructed at 10th and Wadsworth Avenues. In 1902, land was given for a Methodist Church to be built at West Colfax and Allison Street. The church members had many disagreements between 1927 and 1929, so a small congregation voted to become a Community Congregation Church. Two years later they reverted back to the Methodist affiliation when it was impossible to use the church property at their own discretion. Between 1929 and 1941, Lakewood was a growing suburb and in 1945, land at 14th and Brentwood Street was given for a Methodist Church. A new building was built in 1950 for new population growth at 1390 Brentwood with new additions added in 1954 and 1962. During the war, with little fund to use, the membership started box suppers and renting the church facilities as a meeting hall. They provided space for a public library and rent-free headquarters to Scouts, Red Cross, 4-H groups and volunteer groups.
In 1937 Andy Johnson was elected Fire Chief and he held this position until 1951. In 1937 there was only 27,000 inhabitants in Jefferson County. When the fire station began, all firefighters were volunteers. On July 10, 1958 the International granted a Union charter in the name of the Lakewood Professional Firefighters Association and the Local 1309 was formed. Not until the beginning of the 70s was there a transition from two-platoon system to a three-platoon system. It meant more jobs, a more tolerable work schedule, and it remains a permanent structural component today. It also welcomed a full paid fire department. The volunteers have since disassembled.
This is an abandoned private family plot with the undated graves of two daughters of Coral Dudley and David Albert Lamb.
Lamplighter Park was one of five joint parks. Others were Arvada Center Parking construction, Moon Gulch Tennis Courts, Meadow Lake, and Shadow Mountain. These parks were jointly funded by North Jeffco, and the City of Arvada, who authorized Open Space funds to be used. The park was named for the subdivision in which it was located.
Located in the Big Hill mining district. The ore produced contained gold, silver, and copper sulphide in granite and gneiss. A 1901 assay report: copper pyrite, 3% to 9% copper and 1/2 ounce gold, valued at eight dollars and 60 cents a ton.
Has an incline shaft of 40 feet and an extension with a shaft of 10 feet and a tunnel of 86 feet.
Robert T. Cassell subdivided this land November 18, 1898. The 37 1/2 acres were subdivided into 18 sites for small farms and family living.
Lane Ditch in Water District No 7, filled from water diverted from Clear Creek via south bank of Slough Ditch, had a priority dating from June 20, 1864. Claimants in 1884 were John S. Lane, Annie Lees, James A. Lewis, Jacob H. Brown, and James H. Baugh. The ditch appears on c. 1900 map circa, once used in the Jefferson County Courthouse. Listing is still on the State Engineers Records, priority #39 (June 20, 1864).
The gulch runs from northeast of Marshdale and joins Cub Creek. Origin of name unknown.
from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
This road ran from Golden to Laramie, Wyoming. The road was vacated in 1886, when Standley Lake was built.
1883, located by Sam Eldridge, G.E. Hanks and R.P. Miller
from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
Leadville Free Road (circa 1865)
The Leadville Free Road was built to compete with toll roads. Built to compete with the toll roads at Apex and up Mount Vernon Canyon, it ascended Chimney Creek, ran along the east face of Lookout Mountain, through the New York Ranch and on the south slope of Genesee Mountain to Cold Springs Ranch, to reach Bergen Park.
Located south of West Bowles Avenue and east of South Pierce Street, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It was opened in 1972 and was named after the subdivision in which it is located.
Henry Lee came to Colorado in early 1860. He pre-empted and homesteaded hundreds of acres in Wheat Ridge-Highlands Avenue to Prospect Avenue, Wadsworth to Garrison Street. He was an implement dealer and garden and seed store owner in Denver and purchasing agent for the State Grange. He was the Democratic representative in the Colorado General Assembly and Senator for two terms. He was one of the founders of the Agricultural Ditch Co. He gave the ground for the first Methodist Church at 32nd and Wadsworth, was a member of the early school board, Ceres Grange, an outstanding leader in the community and the state. Margaret Lee sold the area from W. 26th to W. 32nd Ave., Wadsworth to Howell (Kipling Street) to Crown Hill Cemetery in 1908. This house was built in 1912. Henry Lee died March 30, 1914.
William Lee was born on January 27, 1837, in London, England. At the age of eight he immigrated with his family to the United States. Lee came to Colorado in May 1859 to seek his fortune in the gold fields and prospected for a short time. He purchased a squatter’s claim to 160 acres on the Prospect Trail at what is now 38th Avenue to Clear Creek and Youngfield to the east. Lee had an active interest in all phases of agriculture and improved on methods and adaptations to the semi-arid environment. He was an esteemed civic leader and represented Jefferson County in the first Colorado Constitutional Convention. He was a member of the Ceres Grange, P. of H. #1 and the Colorado Pioneers’ Society. Local folklore says Lee planted Colorado’s first apple orchard. He married Mary J. McBride in 1866. They had two sons: William, who died in childhood, and James, who with his descendants lived on the farm into the 1970s.
Lees and Baugh Ditch is in Water District # 7, with water diverted from the north bank of Clear Creek, has early priority No. 2, dated May 15, 1860. Claimants for adjudication in 1884 were Annie Lee and Joseph A. Baugh. Some of the water was later transferred to Golden City and to Agricultural Ditch. The Lee families owned properties in the area on either side of present-day W. 44th Ave., east of Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
Lee’s Ditch is in Water District #7, filled with water diverted from the south bank of Clear Creek, has early priority #14, June 2, 1861. Claimant in 1884 was William Lee. Some water was later transferred to Agricultural Ditch.
Lee’s Island Ditch is in Water District #7, running from the north bank of Clear Creek, and has early priority #8, June 30, 1860. Claimant in 1884 was Annie Lee.
This lane was named for the Lee family.
William Lee came to Colorado in 1859 and purchased a squatters claim of 160 acres at what was Prospect Trail and Olivet Road (38th Avenue to 44th Avenue, Youngfield Street). The property bordered on Clear Creek on the north and there is a large spring near the creek. Lee’s two-story brick house was atop the bluff near what was soon to be West 38th Avenue. He built a large water tank near the house and pumped water from the spring and stored it for full domestic water and some irrigation use.
Named after Joseph Legault, a pioneer who came from Quebec about 1870 and homesteaded and ranched in Pleasant Park adjacent to the mountain which bears his name. Up to 1997, five generations of the Legault family have occupied the ranch property for 130 years.
The founding namesake of the American Legion Post #17, was Robert Downing, Jr., a graduate of Edgewater High School who died in World War I. The Post was activated in 1948 at 22nd and Sheridan after an earlier aborted attempt following World War I in memory of Paul Tomlin. The Legion plays an active part in the Edgewater community through city events, scholarships and donations. The Sexsons donated the lot and financed the new building in 1974 located on Harlan.
This appears to be a family cemetery. The earliest grave that is apparent has a date of March 5, 1870. This cemetery is east of the Martin Marietta property and southwest of Chatfield Reservoir on the mesa under the power line. Pictures attached.
Lena Gulch begins in Jefferson County near East of I-70, north of Colfax Boulevard and drains into Maple Grove Reservoir.
Lew Walsh Park, a City owned park, was originally named Hideaway Park. Lew Walsh was a cowboy from Wyoming, who took horses to school to let the children ride. He was quite a friend of the young people. It was discovered he had Lou Gehrig Disease in 1991 and he died in the spring of 1992. City of Arvada officially change the name to Lew Walsh Park July 6, 1992.
July 25, 1885, J.J. Wanamaker sold the Lewis Bar Placer Mine & Arapahoe Bar Placer Mine to a unnamed company belonging to J.E. Chaffee and G.W. Cummings. They began using high pressure water hoses with water taken from the ditch of Golden Ditch and Flume Company. The hydraulic mining discharged water at a force of 87 1/2 pounds to the inch. Investment of the pant cost. 10,000 dollars and the purchase of the old 120 acre Lewis farm where it was located cost 9,000 dollars.
May 22, 1886. The Lewis Bar operations are under charge of California A.E. Schwatka, sent by the inventor of the Hendy Elevator, Mr. Hend, whose elevator the mine uses. Thei two inch giant nozzle usues 1,100 inches of water with 194 feet pressure, and were tearing up the ground rapidly, passing everything through the elevator 37 feet high to the sluces six feet above, boulders and loose rock being carried away rapidly through it to a dump 100 feet away.
This Victorian, 1 1/2-story brick rectangular house (ca. 1879) has a shingled high gabled roof. The upper 1/2-story is an arched open alcove with fish scales shingles at its gabled ends. The top of the windows are segmental with a slight curve above the windows. There is a one-story kitchen and porch on the rear. On the right side there is a back hipped roof entrance to the kitchen porch. The house was built with Morrison brick.
Tom Lewis and his family lived here and he operated the livery stable where the Morrison Garage was located. Tom and Sarah Lewis had two children. Their son, Oscar, was killed as a teenager by John Brisban Walker’s horse at Abbo’s stage coach stop. Their daughter married James Abbo, but died as a young woman of alcoholism. There were no heirs of the Lewis and Abbo families. All four of the Lewis family and James Abbo are buried in the Morrison cemetery.
This lane is named by the James Lewis family.
This is a small park sponsored by both the Cities of Lakewood and Wheat Ridge. It has trails and bike paths in a natural environment.
Tom Lewis’s home was built in ca. 1879 of native brick. Mr. Lewis ran a livery stable in Morrison. His son was killed by John Brisben Walker’s horse. His daughter died as a young woman (Mrs. Amy Abbo). Tom and his wife, son, and daughter are all buried in the Morrison Cemetery.
The Town of Leyden was named for the three Leyden brothers, Martin, Michael and Patrick, who discovered rich coal seams along a creek also named for them in 1865. It was coal instead of gold that led to their fame as well as their tragedy. Michael Leyden was murdered in 1869 and Martin was killed in a mine accident in 1870. In 1903, Robert Perry, manager of the Leyden Coal Mine, named the town Leyden for the three brothers.The town housed a significant number of the mine’s over 100 workers. It consisted of a sizable number of red cottages, church, saloon, boarding house, foreman’s house, and company store laid out along a small street grid at Quaker Street and Leyden Road.
On July 13, 1961, two divers were sent by Public Service of Colorado down in the flooded #4 shaft to see if a two-inch pipe, which was showed on an old map, was still in place between two levels. The area was 700 feet below surface under 40 feet of water. Public Service wanted to use two shafts for gas storage. Divers reported the pipes plug was gone and the pipe corroded and it could be sealed when concrete was poured.
The Leyden Chapel was originally built in the town of Leyden with the rest of its buildings in 1903. It was served by the Presbyterian church to accommodate the 100+ miners who labored in the Leyden mine. In 1925, it was moved to its present location and was converted to a garage. After modern subdivisions surrounded it, this building was spared destruction and given a small park to surround it, and is presently undergoing restoration led by the Arvada Historical Society.
This creek was named for the three Leyden brothers who opened coal mines along the creek in 1869.
Leyden Creek Greenbelt or Trail was built as a result of the City of Arvada Bond Referendum in 1974. It was designated Leyden Creek Corridor at that time. It extends past Leyden Reservoir and the Town of Leyden, through hogback formations, and finally tying into the proposed trail along the east side of Colorado Highway No. 93. It connects to Leyden Creek Park and finally at Davis Lane Park at the confluence of Leyden and Ralston Creeks.
Leyden Creek Park is one of 30 City parks approved in the 1974 Bond Referendum. It was completed in the Fall of 1975 and is part of a greenbelt system.
Neighbors in the vicinity agreed that the playground should be re-sited as well as replaced. The present location was not visible to allow supervision and is surrounded by a swamp. City Council approved that the playground be replaced as a part of a Park and Trail Master Plan process. All nine playground replacements will be paid for by JCOS-City Share and have been included in Joint Park Fund Budget for 1989.
Leyden School was the last District No. 7 School to be organized. By 1904 there were 75 area school children with no school available. The Leyden Mine Coal Company began operations c. 1900 and later set up the school in 1908-1910. Originally the land and building were deeded to Wayne Harkness. By 1954, the property was abandoned as a school and returned to Harkness who in turn leased it to the Leyden Civic Association for community meetings, Sunday School and church services. In 1972, the structure was almost destroyed by a lightning caused fire, but was later remodeled for a private residence.
Named for the nearby community of Leyden, and Leyden Creek. It is just west of the north end of Ralston Reservoir.
Takes name from Leyden Creek. About one mile long.
The 1936 claimant was the Farmers High Line Canal & Reservoir Company. Construction began July 12, 1905, and completed April 1909. Located in Water District #7, it is filled by waters directly from Leyden Creek and from Ralston and Clear Creeks via the Church Ditch for the Farmers High Line Canal.
In search for gold, the three Leyden brothers discovered a coal mine in 1865. They built a road, had the mine working in 1869, and delivered coal by oxen at three dollars a ton to Golden and Denver. In 1870, Michael Leyden was murdered near the mine and Martin died of methane gas in the mine. In 1902, the Leyden Coal Company was incorporated by Charles J. Hughes, Jr., Albert Smith, and Clyde Turnbull. During that year the Denver and Northwestern Railroad, headed by D.H. Moffat, built tracks through Arvada to haul coal from Leyden to Denver. In 1903, the coal company and the electric lines of the tramway, delivered coal to a large yard at 38th Avenue and Tennyson Street, across from Elitch Gardens. Robert Perry, manager of the Leyden Mine, named the town for the three brothers, but the mine honored the names of the Leyden brothers, Michael, Martin, and Patrick. Today the mine is closed and used to store natural gas.
Claimant in 1936 was the Farmer’s High Line Canal & Reservoir Company. Construction began July 12, 1905 and was completed April 1909. It is filled by waters directly from Leyden Creek and from Ralston Creek and Clear Creek via the Church Ditch (by written agreement) for the Farmer’s High Line. Probably so named because of the creek bed it dams. Appears on 1915 “Map of Denver & Surroundings.”
The Lichen Lakes are two small dam-created lakes used to water livestock grazing atop North Table Mountain.
The first mass was celebrated by Father Frank Syrianey, at Colorow Elementary school, on July 5, 1979. Soon Sunday mass expanded to three masses plus a Saturday evening mass at Hosanna Lutheran Church. On Easter Sunday, April 2, 1982, some 200 families held a ground breaking ceremony at 5903 South Kline Street. First mass was celebrated on Holy Thursday of 1984. The church building was dedicated in September 1987. On June 10, 1989, ground breaking was held for an addition to the east and west ends of the existing structure. The parish is presently served by Father Patrick Tierney. The church has a 2600 family parish.
Named after a land owner named J.G. Lilley. “J.G. Lilley was born in England 1833, and came to Colorado in 1860. When a search for gold proved futile, he bought 160 acres near Littleton in 1862. He increased his land holdings to 320 acres, and became an active and progressive member of the community. One of Lilley’s ventures was the Rough and Ready Grist Mill, built in 1868. This mill shipped flour to places as far away as Boston. Lilley was involved in politics and served 25 years on the local school board and was a representative to the state legislature.”
This ranch first opened in 1970, and served as a marginal cattle and horse ranch for 40 years. After WWII the ranch was rebuilt and became a boarding and riding ranch until the property was acquired by the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC), later became the Department of Energy (DOE).
The site consists of an intact house, barn, remnants of two other structures, pole and rail fenced, and a stock chute. The house is frame construction on a formed concrete foundation, and the barn is similarly constructed. Both of these structures are post WWII. The site retains no intact fixtures representing the earlier occupation. Later the existing buildings were used for Department of Energy’s Rocky Flats Plant’s security training.
The mountain was named by Gilbert Lininger a dentist who moved to Colorado in 1906 and purchased the mountain in 1929 to build a home for his family of five daughters. Lininger gained approval for a plot of 20 lots during the late 1960s and sold most of the lots to individual buyers while continuing to expand his family home. He practiced dentistry until he died at the age of 97 in 1993. He was buried next to the home.
Origin of name unknown.
The Lion’s Head is a rock formation along Clear Creek 2.1 miles west of Golden in Clear Creek Canyon. It was a point of interest along the Colorado Central Railroad due to its obvious appearance.
Lions Park was the contribution of one of Golden’s several civic groups in the early 1900s before the local parks and recreation district was organized. The park has a pond, playground, and picnic areas.
In 1886, Amos Post sold the Episcopal church to the trustees of the Methodist Church for the sum of $1. Originally the property was part of the Mary and Williams estate, rumors say that she did not include the restriction that no alcoholic beverages could be sold. Around 1915, Prince McCracken and his wife Maude opened a drugstore on the site. They soon added a dancehall on the east side. McCracken sold his building and enterprises to Darst E. Buchanan and his family in the late 1930s. They retained ownership of the property until 1964. During that time, the name of the drugstore was changed to Evergreen Drug. The Buchanans continued the music and dancing, adding a bar to liven things up. They named the new spot the “Round Up.” In 1964, the Buchanans sold to Ross Grimes, who still owns the property and building. A singer and songwriter form Des Moines, Iowa, Denny was known as the “Music Man” and was soon a regular performer. Soon after Denny took over, he teamed up with Bill Seeburg and Ron Roderick to open a franchised “Red Ram” where the Round Up had been. In 1972, the entire Red Ram franchise chain went bankrupt and Denny reopened the club as the “Little Bear.” In 1976, Denny sold the enterprise to Kenny Jeronimus and Russ Bullemore.
Built of Morrison native stone c. 1880, this long rectangular building on Main Street (Bear Creek Avenue) has two front doors flanked with store front windows. It has housed a saloon, barbershop, and a drugstore. Mr. Hopper was the barber around 1910 and lived in the Tuttle’s house at 107 Bear Creek Lane. Also, in front of the building was the first filling station, c. 1916, with one hand pump located on the sidewalk.
In 1959 the H&G Mining Co. operated this uranium mine. It had a four-foot by four-foot tunnel driven 100 feet southeast, 50 feet northeast, and 50 feet southeast. Avein had been located at the breast, several small drifts and crosscuts had been run. On the surface there was an eight-foot by ten-foot plywood change room and shop. 1960 Depts. Of Health report stated that in the dead areas without ventilation had between 27 to 40 times the normal working area’s concentration of radon gas.
It was built of logs and redwood timber in 1901 for a non-denominational church. A cemetery adjoins the chapel, dating back to the 1880s. Services have been held without interruption throughout the years on Sundays during the summer and Christmas Candlelight Vespers each December – plus many weddings, christenings, memorials and burials.
Designated a county landmark 9/8/2003.
Lots 7, 10, Block 8, Christmas Hill addition.
Little Church Ditch is filled with water diverted from Coal Creek via the Upper Church Ditch. Earliest appropriation date was July 1, 1871. It was partially abandoned February 3, 1988.
Runs into Bear Creek in Evergreen. Name origin unknown.
This creek was probably so named because of the proximity to another drainage called “Big Dry Creek.”
Funds for Little Dry Creek Park were provided by the City of Arvada Bond Issue approved by the voters in 1974. The 4.277 acre park was built in 1975 and includes a basketball court and playground. It is named for Little Dry Creek in close proximity to the park.
Little Dry Creek Trail is an Open Space Corridor which runs along the drainage way from Chase Drive on the east edge of Arvada to the west end of Little Dry Creek near Indiana Street. This trail provides an access to: Little Dry Creek Park; around the City’s shopping complex at 80th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard; along major growth areas in Arvada/North Jeffco; through a Westminster subdivision to Sheridan Boulevard; to Standley and other lakes; and is included on the Trail’s Master Plan. City of Arvada and Western States Reclamation Incorporation authorized the building of the trail from developer’s escrow funds.
In 1955 the principal product of this quarry type open pit was carnotite. Owned by R.B. Stevenson and Co.
This grade school was built in 1973. It was named for Dr. John R. Little who was superintendent of Arvada School District No. 2 from 1941 until the reorganization of the Jefferson County Schools in 1950. Dr. Little later became Professor of Education at the University of Colorado.
Adit is tunnel five feet by seven feet, timbered 70 feet with 12-inch posts and caps. Vein material of gold, silver, and lead exposed approximately 20 inches. There is a 10-foot by 12-foot house by the mine. The owners A.R. Write and Sons, have four claims on the south slope of Guyot Mountain, the Little Hope; Nos.1,2,3,and 4.
A Denver Mountain Park of 400 acres west of Idledale, bought in 1917 from the Bureau of Land Management for $1.50 per acre. The unusual eight-sided stone shelter house was designed by Denver J.J.B. Benedict and built by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Its Rustic style design utilized native stone and timber to blend into the natural setting. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF977) on February 24, 1995.
It was probably named for the topography of the region. This is the lesser of the two Scraggy Peaks in southern Jefferson County.
This Water District #7 reservoir is filled via Tynon Lateral from the Farmer’s High Line with water diverted from Clear Creek. Constructed in 1890, the claimant in 1936 adjudication was Denver Joint Stock Land Bank. This reservoir shows on land owned by R. Tynon on an 1899 farm map. The area now known as Lake Arbor Golf Course.
1892 output 25 tons of coal per day
This park was donated to the City of Arvada by Thomas C. Lively and his sister Ellen M. Taylor in memory of their father, Clarence Lively, who operated Atlasta dairy in the area prior to the development of Club Crest Subdivision.The park joins the Croke and Farmers’ Canal Greenbelt system, which includes a pedestrian trail and bridge adjacent to the property. This is a native area and an extension of Club Crest Park. Arrangements for this donation became final on July 2, 1979, and the the site became known as Lively Park.
Sarah Lochnane came from the French Quarter of the Louisiana Territory to Idaho Springs, Kansas Territory in 1860. She was a widow with two children who joined a wagon train to the West. In 1863 she pre-empted 120 acres and built a house. Sarah had a cattle ranch and ran cattle to Golden Gate Canyon during the summer. Her gun was used several times as a protection against cattle rustlers. She was one of the first to use a brand for cattle in this area, “SL” within a circle and a backward “J” as a horse brand. She not only raised her two children, but also raised her granddaughter, Lola Montez Adams. Lola became a midwife and assisted pioneer Dr. E.L. Foster in Arvada for many years. The Lochnane house was destroyed when I-70 was built.
The membership originally met in area homes at South Federal Boulevard and Iliff Street in 1954. They built their church in 1971 at 1354 South Union Boulevard in Lakewood.
Built ca. 1918 by Ted and Joe Schrock for Olinger (mortuary) as a real estate office to promote selling Indian HIlls property. It was moved from Bear Creek Avenue to its present hill location. It was used as a Girl Scout cabin in the 1940s and is now a residence.
Name is descriptive.
Named for a nearby rock formation.
This was one of the first gold strikes in area–now a quartz mine.
Rudy and Harlan Long (brothers and partners) built the garage in 1916 and it has operated ever since. The present building is the third structure built because of highway construction and changes. The present garage on Highway 285 approximately four miles southeast of Conifer was built in 1948 and is the only one offering AAA service to surrounding communities. It continues to be operated by members of the Long family.
Claimants in 1884 were V.J. and John Churches. Filled from Ralston Creek with headgate for the feeder being on the south bank of Ralston Creek in the NW 1/4 S6, T3S, R70W. By the 1936 adjudication, claimant was Long Lake Reservoirs Inc. and the feeder ditch was sometimes known as Campbell Ditch, said ditch being a combination of open ditch, tunnels through hard rock and siphons of steel pipe. V.J. and John Churches were farmers in the area. John Churches built irrigations systems in the area.
Lower Long Lake’s water comes through the Upper Long Lake. Construction began in 1909 and was completed in 1913. Various enlargements were made until 1928. A tunnel 500′ long, through the Hogback carries water from Upper Long Lake to Lower Long Lake.
Irrigation canal, Denver Mountain Map, 1950. Intake in Ralston Creek (right bank) in S31, T2S, R70W at dam above Ralston Reservoir. Parallels creek to map edge.
It was probably named for the topography of the region.
This was a working ranch,1880-1932. A portion was sold in the late 1940s and became a private girl’s summer camp (Long Scraggy Mountain Ranch), 1950-1971. In 1971 a church organization bought the buildings and acreage to operate a retreat. The remainder of the ranch property has been developed with year-round homes. Origin of name, probably from the near-by peak, Long Scraggy.
In early 1900, this was a residential settlement with a post office. It was probably named for the view from the place.
It was established April 4,1911 and discontinued December, 1919.
Native Americans, trappers, and early tourists savored the extraordinary views of the Front Range to the east and Continental Divide to the west from Lookout Mountain. A resort was planned there in 1899, and a residential development platted there in 1904.
The City of Golden established a reservoir west of the summit in 1905. A funicular brought visitors up to the summit from Golden from 1912-1914. A dance pavilion and several restaurants were popular there after there Lariat Trail was completed in 1914. William “Buffalo Bill” Cody was buried north west of the summit in 1917.
An estimated 12 homes and ranches occupied Lookout Mountain in 1954 when the first broadcast transmitter was installed on land sold by former Jefferson Count Commissioner John Browne, who had picked up the land for taxes in 1937. The summit of Lookout Mountain is now occupied by an “antenna farm” of broadcast transmitters, antennas, microwave and satellite devices surrounded by 350 homes within one mile.
The first Funicular proposal to rise from Golden to Lookout Mountain was in 1890 as part of the resort and residential housing development,”City on the Hill” (see the Lariat Trail). The idea was again proposed in 1898 and again in 1904. It finally realized in 1912 by real estate developer Rees C. Vidler. It was the first electrically operated funicular railroad built west of the Mississippi River.
One car rose while another came down, passing on the two tracks. The cars each had a capacity for one hundred passengers and the trip about twenty minutes. In 1919, Lookout Mountain Development Company Land was sold for taxes and the funicular never operated again. A Denver wrecking business slid the rail ties down from Lookout Mountain in 1930, leaving a construction scar still visible today.
Charles Boettcher purchased 112 acres from Lookout Mountain Development company (Rees Vidler) between Lookout Mountain Road and Colorow Road in 1918 and built a hunting lodge. He fenced the land to keep “pet” elk and other wild animals. His daughter, Charlene Breeden, gave the land with mansion to Jefferson County. The Jefferson County Open Space program took over management of the land and a small house used by the Boettcher cook and her family. Trails were cut into a “Forest Loop” and a Meadow Loop.
The Lorraine Lodge is managed by Jefferson County as a conference center. A new Nature Center was built in 1997 to accommodate nature exhibits and seminars.
Real estate developer Rees C. Vidler donated an estimated 50 acres of his residential platted Lookout Mountain land to Denver to become part of the city’s mountain park system in 1913. After more than 20,000 people participated in Buffalo Bill’s funeral procession up the Lariat Trail on June 4, 1917, Denver purchased more land and established this park with fireplaces, picnic tables, and a shelter. The park continues to be one of the most popular for city residents. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 15, 1990 (5JF.648).
Lorraine was the first school in District No. 25, established in 1884. The school was built and opened for students in the Fall of 1885. By 1917, plans for consolidation were introduced and became a reality in 1928, when Lorraine School was joined to the new Mandalay School. Two teachers were hired for the two schools and the name would be changed to Lorraine Mandalay Elementary School in District No. 25. New lumber was promised by the former school and people of Mandalay School agreed to do all labor free of charge and lease the building to the School District for one dollar per year. Board also decided to furnish Mandalay School, fix fences, paint and clean the interior of the former Lorraine School. The original one room school was moved to Broomfield in 1956 and still exists. It is not known why this school was named “Lorraine.” Lorraine was a flag stop on the Denver and Interurban Railroad.
In 1915, Charles Boettcher purchased 62 acres on top of Colorow Peak for the erection of a “summer cottage.” It was known by the name “Lorraine Lodge.” The building has seven bedrooms and contains 10,000 sq. ft. The stone living room measures 25′ x 50′ and is dominated by a huge fireplace. As Charles Boettcher and his wife, Fanny, separated in 1915, it was used as a home only by Charles. He is said to have lived there in the summers and to have driven into his office daily. In 1922, Boettcher purchased adjoining property to make a total of 110 acres. In 1968, Boettcher’s granddaughter, Charlene H. Breeden, donated the estate to Jefferson County. Before being donated the house sat vacant for several years and was in need of repairs and remodeling, that eventually cost $140,000. Today, the building and its grounds are used as a conference center and nature museum. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF323) on January 18, 1984.
Lorraine-Mandalay school was built in 1928 with some of the lumber from Church’s Stage Stop and additional lumber was supplied by G. H. Church. According to Mary Jump, a teacher at Mandalay School in 1928, the school was named for a Rudyard Kipling song, “On the Road to Mandalay.” This school was originally in District No. 25, but is no longer used as a school. However the dwelling still exists and is used as a community building. Lorraine and Mandalay were two flag stops on The Denver and Interurban Railroad. Since these stops in the vicinity of the school existed several years before the school was built, it is very probable that this school was named for the flag stops on The Denver and Interurban Railroad.
Origin of name not learned.
A resort ranch and a working ranch, owned by the Foster family since the 1950s. William Graham homesteaded the land in 1885 and built a log cabin on which he made additions in 1900 and named it Graham Ranch. The cabin is two stories with hand hewn horizontal shaped logs with dovetail centers. It is approximately 25′ x 25′ and a surrounding covered porch with a medium hipped roof. The present name is derived from the valley in which it is located.
This District No. 23 school was named for W.C. Lothrop, who built the school with Henry D. Calkins somewhere between 1871 and 1875. Wilbur C. Lothrop was State Superintendent of Public Instruction in 1871. The structure was moved and converted into a temporary classroom in 1956.
The City purchased the land in 1988. It is a small neighborhood park that has a play ground and picnic tables.
The 1863 Loveland Building and 1906 Coors Building are significant for their long-time association with Golden’s commercial history. A 1992-93 renovation project connected the first floors of the buildings through their adjoining sidewalls and restored the storefronts to their 1905-06 appearance. They were listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF411) on May 16, 1996.
1891, White Ash Coal Co. reopened the Loveland mine shaft down to 582 feet and cutting coal at 372 foot level, 452 foot level and the 532 foot level. Each level runs 128 feet before reaching coal vein. Output is 50 tons per day.
This two-story, cross-gabled, brick house was built by William A. H. Loveland. Loveland was an entrepreneur that built one of the first stores in Golden. An incorporator of Golden and its first treasurer, he was also on the Board of trustees of Colorado Seminary (Denver Seminary) from 1874-1878 and a trustee and acting head of School of Mines. Loveland built the first wagon road up Clear Creek to the mines and began the Colorado Center Railroad in 1866.
History not available
Claimant for adjudication in 1936 was George H. Church. Construction began in 1878. This Water District #7 lake is filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via the Church Ditch (formerly Golden City and Ralston Creek Ditch) and the extension known as the Graves and Dollison Ditch. Built by George H. Church, rancher and farmer north of Arvada. Also known as Mandalay Lake.
Claimant for adjudication in 1936 was Long Lakes Reservoir Inc. Filled from Ralston Creek through Upper Long Lake. Construction began June 6, 1909. Completed in 1913. Various enlargements were made until 1928. A tunnel 500 feet long through the Hogback from Upper Long Lake carries the water to this reservoir.
The site is a ca. 1880-1920 historic cabin constructed with raw, saddle-notched logs of local origin. It is situated in a side-hill, leveled excavation in a gully above the drainage which measures 11 feet by 12 feet by three feet deep. This dirt material from the excavation was shared with saddle-notched loop and utilized as the lower part of the walls of the structure. The entrance door appears to be situated in the south wall. An old wagon road is located approximately 30 meters east of the cabin.
This is a family cemetery containing the bodies of early property owner John Lupin, his wife, and his daughter, Mary. Mary died suddenly. John’s wife died mysteriously and John was charged with her death in 1881, but not convicted. Years later, John was found dead in his bed with a bullet wound in his head. Granzella said in his interview that Lubin was dying from tuberculosis and committed suicide. It was Granzella’s father, Jimmie, who found the body.
The Lubin/Blakeslee Place consists of one small northeast facing cabin made of squared log, a log barn, a frame barn, and two frame sheds. The log buildings date to the 1870s or 1880s, and the other structures date to the early 20th century. The house has been remodeled in recent years, with the addition of a concrete foundation and a lean-to room on the rear. The exterior historic integrity of the house has been preserved. The cabin is made of hand-hewn logs in alternating tiers with half-dovetailed joints. It has been lined with split logs and then doubled. The two-story log barn has saddled-notched corners with a log lean-to on the west side. The land was originally homesteaded by Duncan McIntyre in the 1860s. In 1883 McIntyre sold 480 acres to Louis Rambo, owner and builder of the neighboring Midway House. The remaining 160 acres were sold to John Lubin. In 1881, he was accused of his wife’s murder, but later was acquitted. At that time Lubin was described as a 47-year-old Frenchman who had been married to the victim for 20 years and had four children, three sons and a daughter. The daughter, Mary, also died suddenly, and one of the sons committed suicide. Lubin himself was found dead in his bed at the cabin with a gunshot to the head. In 1959 the property was purchased by Norm Meyer; it was designated a County historic landmark on 4/5/2004. Cabin and log barn moved to new location at Norm Meyer Ranch in Sept 2004.
This rectangular framed house with white wooden shingles on the exterior walls was built c. 1915 for Dr. Frank Luce. It was built with lumber taken when part of Abbo’s Livery Stable was demolished. Dr. Luce lived here until 1922, when Bob Smith purchased the property.
This school in the Jefferson County R-1 School District was named for Amelia Mae Lukas, a former Jefferson County teacher and principal. The school was built in 1988.
Lumberg Elementary School was named for Harry H. Lumberg, who came to Colorado from Denmark in 1886 at age 14. He moved to Edgewater in 1906. The school for grades K-6 was constructed in 1955 and by 1961 had already added an extra classroom wing and a gym. From time to time temporary buildings were moved in as enrollment surged. A library was also added. In conjunction with the City of Edgewater’s Park and Recreation Plan, the playground was totally re-landscaped in the mid 1980’s. Drainage and playground equipment were installed in a park-like atmosphere that was open to the public.
Built in 1954. Named for Harry Lumberg, who donated the land. He was former mayor of Edgewater. He was also president of the school board in 1927.
Edgewater contributed $25,000 of Open Space money to the development of the Lumberg School Park. The park consists of two tennis courts, a play ground, and a ball field.
The church was established in 1964.
Lutheran Church of the Master was founded at 12100 W. Alameda Parkway in 1962. New location is at 14099 W. Jewell Avenue since 1983.
Established in 1961 and has continuously enlarged from the original 20 acres to 112 acres with modern of medical facilities and office buildings. In 1993 purchased the West Pines psychiatric center. Completed in 1988 by a company under lease-contract. No longer officially “Lutheran” auspices. There is a very active Lutheran Auxiliary that supports the hospital with thousands of volunteer hours of service each year and raise thousands of dollars through special events and the Blue House activities.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, Denver, saw need for a “health resort” for tuberculars coming to Colorado. A tent city was established in 1905 on 20 acres farm buildings on property were used as office and dairy farm needs. In 1921 a “Pavilion” was built. In 1910 the Walther League sold Christmas stamp seals. The facility continued to grow with a waiting list until 1959. In 1961 became Lutheran Medical Center, the only general hospital in Jefferson County at the time.