This Water District #7 reservoir is filled from a spring (1/2 acre foot). Appropriation date August 24, 1974.
In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
This Water District #7 reservoir is filled from a spring (1/2 acre foot). Appropriation date August 24, 1974.
This Edwardian Vernacular house was built for the Reverend R.W. Maddox in 1903 for $2,800. It has a round second floor window that looks over 12th Street. It was later owned by Frank and Laura Hills. Franklin was a chemist at the School of Mines. There is rumored to be the ghost of a seven-year-old boy in the basement.
This open pit was formerly worked by the International Minerals and Chemical Corp. for feldspar. In 1965 Robert Beal is mining quartz and rare earth and the pit was 75 feet by 50 feet. That year 20 tons valued at 4,000 dollars was extracted.
In 1883 the Maggie was the first copper strike in Golden district. It was struck 10 feet down with a vein three feet wide with an occasional 3-inch streak of pure copper with a trace of gold and silver. Owned by C.C. Welch, F.D. Benjamen, and Henry Koch.
March 1884 the mine was 100 feet down.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF223) on August 21, 1980.
Claimant in 1936 was the Agricultural Ditch and Reservoir Company. The reservoir filled from Clear Creek via Golden or Welch Ditch and Agricultural Reservoir Ditch (which is an extension and enlargement of the Golden or Welch Ditch). Work was begun on construction February 1, 1901 and was completed in 1908.
Main Street was the original identity of 2nd Street, platted with the Golden Park Addition. Its name is possibly reflective of the ambitious Golden expansion aspirations of the platters. It was renamed in 1904 by city ordinance.
Majestic View Park was one of the 30 parks voted on in the City Bond election of 1974. It was named for an old street, now W. 66th Ave. and for the name of the original subdivision, now Huntington Heights. The park was expanded in 1984. Ten acres of Mr. Harder’s land, west of the park, was purchased with Jefferson County Open Space funds, authorized by the Jefferson County Commissioners, in 1986. Tennis courts and horse shoe pits are built on the acquired land.
The Malachite Mine was primarily a copper mine on an 80-acre tract along Bear Creek. Its mill site occupied 10 acres on Bear Creek. The mine’s approximate production was $35,000. Its ore was described as massive and consisted of coarse masses of chalcopyrite, zinc blende and pyrrohite, and some nickel. It contained very little gold or silver. Dike runs generally in an east-west direction in a gravite schist formation. There are two tunnels 350 feet in length, a shaft 150 feet in depth and an open cut measuring 15 by 25 feet, 15 feet deep and shows a vein on the surface to be 4 feet wide.
The school was named after the nearby Mandalay rail station. Mandalay School, District 25, was established in 1928 with donated land, building materials, and labor from the local residents. It began as a one-room school for grades one through eight. Later the student enrollment supported a second teacher and a dividing partition was built in the center. It housed grades one through four at the time of its 1954 closure with the creation of Jefferson County School R-1 School District. The building had many other uses over the years and is currently leased to Heritage Christian School and American Reformed Church by the Mandalay Historical Society.
Mandalay Middle School opened in 1984 as Mandalay Junior High on a year round schedule with 1,200 students. It was reorganized into Mandalay Middle School, grades 7th and 8th, in 1990. Its current enrollment is 970 students. The School Names Committee, Lloyd Gorrell, Ruth Stockton, and Virginia Weigand, named Mandalay Junior High School in 1983. Since then, these area schools are called Middle Schools.
Mandalay Station was a structure with two intersecting walls and roof to provide weather protection for the customers of the Interurban Railroad. It was located 12.14 miles from the junction in Denver. Time Table Number 5, which is not dated, lists Mandalay. Consecutive time tables were not available, however, a time table dated January 1925 omits Mandalay but lists a Churches Road Crossing at 12.15 miles into the route on the other side of the track. Mandalay Station was dismantled when it was no longer in use. It was probably named for the Rudyard Kipling song, “On the Road to Mandalay.”
Manhart Ditch in Water District # 7, obtains its water out of north bank of Ralston Creek. Currently is part of Baker Metropolitan Water and Sanitation District. It was priority #1 out of Ralston Creek, dated August 3l, 1860. Claimants for adjudication in 1884 were William Light, Henry Brothers, A.S. Larey, Julian Scott, and R.S. Boyles. William Light was one of the first officers of Clear Creek Valley Grange, served on the District No. 2 Arvada School Board, and was Past Grand Officer of Arvada Oddfellows Lodge in 1903.
“The Manor House was built in 1914 for $100,000 for John C. Shaffer, a one-time owner of the Rocky Mountain News. Shaffer, an industrialist from Chicago, financed the Chicago Grand Opera in 1910 and was the first person to bring Hereford cattle to Colorado.” Prior to Johns-Manville Company buying the Ken- Caryl Ranch, the interior of the manor was painted silver. Johns-Manville stripped the silver paint off and restored the house to its original condition. The Manor House is a privately operated restaurant today.
This school was built in 1878 at a cost of $1,000. The structure had brick walls a foot thick and 12-foot high ceilings. It was also known as “Black School” because the land was donated by the Black family. The building, with its subsequent additions, was torn down to make way for a gas station.
This church and school purchased 10 acres, a house and barn in 1982, which was originally owned by Rodney Curtis, for whom Curtis Street in Denver was named. Curtis was one of the founders and former president of the Denver Tramway Company. He built the home for his daughter, Katherine C. McDearmon in 1910. Rev. Don Miller became pastor of the new church and director of the school in 1982.
The mine occupies 330 acres. Average content of a ton of ore consists of 1/5 ounce gold, 16 ounces of silver, 31% lead, 6 1/2 percent copper, 11% zinc, and 31% iron. Total development in 1916 included shafts of 50 feet; 2- 30 feet, and 450 feet crosscut.
Marge Roberts Park, originally named Holder Park, was purchased with Arvada’s share of Open Space funds, August 20, 1979, but was never maintained properly. Nearby King of Glory Lutheran and Arvada Mennonite Church had been trying to have the park site upgraded for sometime. A neighborhood group was organized in 1986 and decided to use a “Naturalistic Approach.” Through the efforts of Marge Roberts, a park for the young and elderly was finally completed, dedicated and named for Marge Roberts, June 8, 1990.
Graves Avenue was named for pioneer Oliver Graves, who secured 160 acres by military bounty in 1867. With the revision of Jefferson County street names in 1949, this thoroughfare became Marshall Street, named for John Marshall, Chief Justice of the United States from 1801-1835.
Built in 1928. Designated a county landmark 9/8/2003.
Opened in 1980 to serve the North Turkey Creek Area and subdivisions along Highway 73. Name from area location.
A lodge built in the 1920s by Dr. Wilbur Marsh, a dentist. From 1968 to 1986 it was the summer headquarters for the 75-member Colorado Philharmonic Orchestra. Named after builder.
Jefferson County District R-1, 1955. Named for pioneer family son Lou Martensen school board. Daughter-in-law Marina, County Superintendent of Schools in 1950 R-1 days. In the 1980’s the extended school housed “day care”.
The entrance to Martin Marietta is located at the southern end of State Highway 75. In 1955 the site was selected for the facility to build the Titan Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles (Titan I). Other projects produced at the Waterton facility include: Titan II – Manned space flights (Mercury and Gemini programs) Titan III – Transtage to move satellites to different orbits Dyna-Soar Project – winged reusable space vehicle Skylab – space station Viking – Mars lander Lunar Drill – to obtain samples from the moon Voyagers – to Jupiter/Saturn and beyond External Shuttle Tank Design – built in Michoud, Louisiana M.M.U. – manned maneuvering unit – allows astronaut to fly outside shuttle
Mason Creek runs into Elk Creek. Name origin unknown.
In 1930 the Masons purchased the building at West 25th Avenue and Eaton Street and moved in March of 1931. As the Mason’s membership continued to grow, they purchased lots in 1948 along the north side of 25th from Eaton to Fenton Streets for $4,500 to construct a large temple, which was accomplished.
Massey is a creek bed that is mostly dry. It runs from Jefferson County into Arapahoe County and into the Platte River.
At the Interstate 70 entrance to the Rocky Mountains (Mt. Vernon Canyon), at Highway 26, Jefferson County Open space purchased 1,095 acres which includes the original 1860 plat of Mt. Vernon town. Trails are available for hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikes.
Maxwell Creek begins about one mile northeast of the top of Black Mountain and empties into Cub Creek about three-quarters of a mile east of Brook Forest. Name origin unknown.
Named from falls and creek of same name.
This one-story bungalow was built c. 1919 for Fred W. McCartney, an Edgewater real estate agent. Originally McCartney owned the entire block. George Olinger purchased lots 1-6 in 1919. Thomas and Mary Bates purchased the house on January 24, 1923.
Built c. 1917 for Fred W. McCartney, this one-story, side gabled, wood frame building faces east. There are ornamental front and side panels on the covered front porch, as well as railings and support columns.
This one-story, wood frame bungalow was built c. 1919. It was built for Fred W. McCartney, a Denver real estate agent with an office in Edgewater. On Jan. 28, 1925, Evert and May Baker purchased this house and the lot.
Built in 1902, this one-story bungalow with wood siding was a rental owned by Fred W. McCartney. There is a covered front porch with the main entry door in the center of the west wall. There are two small three-over-three pane glass windows on either side of the door.
McDearmon Home was built by Rodney Curtis, an enterprising businessman in Denver, who was the first and long-time president of the Denver Tramway Co. It is for him that Curtis Street in Denver is named. Curtis built this large home for his daughter, Katherine C. McDearmon in 1910. The home was located near the Leyden Tramway tracks at Ralston Station. Captain and Mrs. Mark Rhoads purchased this home (1937-1963) and named it Strolling Acres. The grounds changed considerably in 1982 when it was purchased for a church and school. The house, except for repainting outside, has been kept relatively the same.
Built ca. 1873. Vinton Amos, a blacksmith in Morrison, lived here ca. 1880. Mr. and Mrs. Peinze ran a grocery store and market and a real estate office here since 1923. It is now a restaurant.
McIlvoy House was named for Dennis D. McIlvoy, who built the house in 1897. The house was deeded to the City of Arvada in 1919 by Mrs. Clemancy McIlvoy, including a codicil stating that the house shall be known as “McIlvoy House,” and that no alcoholic beverages be sold on the premises. Through the years the City rented the dwelling to various civic organizations; Park or Legion House, Arvada Library, Mental Health Office and Urban Renewal Authority.
McIlvoy Park was named for Dennis D. McIlvoy who built the house in 1897. The house was known as the Park or Legion House, Mental Health Office,and Urban Renewal Authority. After her husband’s death, Mrs. Clemancy McIlvoy gave house to the City of Arvada in 1919, with a codicil stating: “The grounds be known as McIlvoy Park and that no alcoholic beverages be sold on the premises.” This was Arvada’s first public park in 1935. Tennis courts were built on the property by funds raised by the Town Board and School District No. 2. After the American Legion vacated the building, arrangements were made for an Arvada Library to be located in the City owned building 1950-1966. The three acres of land at the park site were leased to North Jeffco for 99 years in 1958. In the early 1990s plans were underway for outstanding playground facilities and a pavilion to be built as a memorial for Dick Connor, an admired sports writer for THE DENVER POST.
A private cemetery with two known burials, the first in 1868, the second in 1880. Bentley states, “Since this is the homestead land of the son, Daniel W. McIntyre, quite likely this is the grave of his wife and child.” The grave is marked only by an almost imperceptible mound and circle of stones.
McIntyre Gulch is named for the early Lakewood settler from Pennsylvania, William W. McIntyre, who obtained his 160 acres north of West Sixth Avenue along present day Wadsworth Boulevard through a military patent issued to Pero Quinto Pereider, a Mexican War veteran. It flows eastward and joins Lakewood Gulch west of Wadsworth Boulevard.
McKay Ditch flows from Coal Creek to Walnut Creek east of Highway #93.
Isiah Green began building on this 144-acre ranch these structures in 1887. 1977 survey listed two one-story houses with lofts and one dairy barn with a loft.
Claimant in 1884 was F.J. McQuiston who owned a farm “11 miles west of Denver on Ralston Creek.” He was granted Ralston Creek priority #7, dating from 6/25/1863.
Francis James McQuiston from Erie, Pennsylvania, was on his way to Mankato, Minnesota, when he heard of the gold discovery in Colorado. With five others, he was one of the fifty-niners who changed course to seek his fortune. He returned to Mankato several times before he applied for a Homestead in 1864, in an area which became known as Ralston Crossing. Here he built a cabin and received his patent from the United States Government in 1870. He was in the right place at the right time for the development of a bustling village. This was the safest crossing for stage lines and travelers over Ralston Creek to the gold fields. A stage stop, blacksmith shop, supply store with post office, and Ralston Crossing School were built on Frank McQuiston’s property. The McQuiston house at 6550 Indiana Street, built in the late 1880s, is all that remains of the early settlement. The house has been remodeled and has had several owners and renters, but is known as a well-kept house then and now. It was a two-story, frame house with fish scale decoration on the upper story, and gingerbread ornamentation around the front porch. A large screened-in porch has been added to the south, a second story has been added to the addition on the north and all of the windows are modern, large and with metal frames. When the stage stop was razed in the 1970s, newspapers from Mankato, Minnesota were found, being used as insulation and dated 1856 and 1861. This innovative man built a ditch with J.S. Kinnear and W. B. Alford in 1864, which is known as the Church Ditch. McQuiston was a postmaster, 1868-1870, and County Commissioner, 1887-1891.
Property for Meadowbrook Village Park, containing 1.25 acres, was purchased with Jefferson County Open Space funds in 1975, and was named for Meadowbrook subdivision in which it is located. The “brook” refers to Van Bibber Creek near the park. Meadowbrook Nature trail runs from the northwest corner of the park to the northeast corner. Lottery funds from the County Commissioners to the District were used to develop Meadowbrook Park in December, 1985.
Meadowglen Park includes a trail along Little Dry Creek, The area to the north is a private homeowners association.
When Meadowlake Village subdivision was developed by Ron Hossington, the City of Arvada’s six per cent development requirement was to be used for the park. Meadowlake Park was named for the subdivision in which it was located.
The Medlen School began in 1886 as a log structure. Around 1900, clapboard siding covered the logs and a small frame teacherage rose beside the school. The complex served as the educational and social focal point of the Medlen community until school consolidation forced its closure in 1952. Now used as the Turkey Creek Community Center. This property was placed on the State Register of Historic Places (5JF946) on March 8, 1995.
Built in 1879 for a rental and it still is.
Two acres of Callahan and Melmon Subdivision were deeded for park purposes, November 22, 1967. For a period of time the park was managed by various civic clubs and organizations. Finally a request was made by Arvada Jaycees that the District develop in cooperation with Boy Scout Troop 231 Melmon Park. With North Jeffco specifications Scouts and Jaycees provided manpower and as much material as possible. They built bridges, installed picnic tables, planted grass and trees, and spruced-up the greenbelt along Ralston Creek.
Melody Park is an extension of Youth Memorial Park on Alkire Street. This is a blue grass area surrounded by a split rail fence. It is not known why the park was named Melody Park.
Memorial Park is a park for the handicapped approved in the Arvada 1974 Bond Referendum. It consists of a playground behind Arvada City Hall, and seating for parents, constructed in 1984. A footbridge across Ralston Creek was approved and built in 1986. The name for Memorial Park was approved by City Council, June 20, 1977 for the numerous persons who had contributed greatly to the Arvada Community.
In 1956 operator Joseph W. Walsh extracted 443 tons of uranium ore valued at 12,276 dollars.
1958: 368 tons of uranium are valued at 21,513 dollars extracted with five men, operated 198 days.
1959: 142 tons of uranium are valued at10,525 dollars extracted with four men, operated 232 days.
1960: 210 tons of uranium are valued at 8,370 dollars extracted with four men, operated 202 days.
1962: 326 pounds of uranium are valued at 1,198 dollars extracted with three men, operated 81 days.
1968: No operations. The old adits had had doors an locks installed at the portals. The 100 foot shaft filled with water. On the surface was a hoist house and compressor shed.
Due to the severe winters, the school was in session for only 3 months during a school year. Some students attended 3 months at Mendenhall and 3 months at Echo Valley School.
In the 1940s Gamma Phi Beta purchased Stone Crest. It was used as a camp for needy girls. From 1957 to 1962 the camp was used for fall, winter, and second spring sessions by groups from Jefferson County schools. Ridge Home for Retarded Children used it in 1963. In 1969 the Messiah Lutheran Church purchased the property, renamed it Messiah Mountain, and uses it for continuing education and recreation for all age groups.
The church, which was made of sand and brick, was built in 1868 and was the second Methodist Church organized in Colorado. Before 1868 services were held in Ford’s Tent, the first being held on Monday, July 4, l859. The first pastor was Rev. Jacob Adreance. The church was enlarged in 1903 and razed c. 1960, when a new church was built at 15th and Ford St.
It was built in 1881 and said to be “beautiful.”
A Jefferson County Open Space Park of 397 acres acquired in 1986. It features hiking and riding trails, picnic facilities, scenic overlooks, wildlife, and a popular winter sledding hill. Named after former owners, Norman and Ethel Meyer.
The fifty-meter indoor Meyers Pool was funded by the last of the 1974 bond money and was dedicated February 12, 1979. North Jeffco operates and maintains the pool, although the facility is owned by the City of Arvada. The pool was named “Meyers Pool,” for George Meyers (April 27, 1924-May 5, 1977). He devoted his life to the education of children through his vocation as a teacher and vice principal of Arvada Senior High School. He actively participated in North Jeffco programs by supervising and teaching the ski program and by supervising the North Jeffco Swimming Pool. He was also a member of the City of Arvada Planning Commission since 1963 and chairman of that commission since 1964.
This road entered Wheat Ridge at Sheridan Blvd. and extended W. through Olivet Rd. to Golden.
from Cultural Contexts report:
“Middle Golden Road (circa 1962)
Also known as Old Prospector Trail, this road ran between Denver and Golden along present-day West 26th and 32nd Avenues.”
This two-story, 12-room Victorian ranch house built by Louis Ramboz in 1889 was one of the first substantial frame houses in the area. Its name derives from its sometime use as a way station and hostelry on the Denver Turkey Creek and South Park Wagon Road, more or less midway between Denver and points west. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 9, 1990, 5JF303.
Midway resort was a popular place of ill fame between Morrison and Denver during the Prohibition years. Like other notorious roadhouses, Midway was periodically raided by the Jefferson County Sheriff. On July 1, 1925, Midway was finally busted for good when Sheriff Johnson, Undersheriff Hall, and several deputies raided the establishment, and after much puzzled searching discovered a large buried cache of moonshine booze on the premises waiting for the coming 4th of July. Arrested were Midway’s proprietors: Fred DeNave, Fred Goeritz and Walter Ronaldson.
Established by P.C. Schreiner in 1920. Produced eggs and fryers and was the largest employer in Jefferson County during this time period. Had a second facility in the Golden area at 15200 W. 44th Avenue.
In Water District #7, Miles and Eskins Ditch had priority #15 (June 1, 1861). Claimants in 1884 were William Sanderson, William Lee and Alfred H. Miles. Sanderson, Lee and Miles were farmers in the area. Miles came to Arvada in 1859. Eskins farm appears on the “Settlement Map of the Region Near Arvada, Colorado,” between what is now I-70 Highway and Mt. Olivet Cemetery
Origin of name unknown.
About two miles long; divides in Section 26 to drain east slope of Guy Hill and north slope of Saulsbury Peak; opens on Tucker Gulch from the south. Named for Miller, who homesteaded there. Flat at entrance; favorite stopping place for wagons. Also called Four-mile Gulch for distance above Golden Gate City on Gregory Road.
Site consists of a sunken track from a wagon road along the side of Miller Gulch. Remnants of wooden fence are visible in some areas. This route may have been used by J. Higginson in the 1860s to access his Wellington Lake Ranch from the North Fork if the South Platte River valley. From 1880 to 1920 the road was used to access habitations in the upper Miller Gulch Ranger Station.
The church was at first named for the community but later was listed as the Miller Street Church of Christ.
A large one-room log cabin with one window built in 1881 or 1882 by Mr. Hadley.
Prior to 1870, the Mitchell School was the first Jefferson County school organized in District No. 7. The school first held classes in the Mitchell residence, hence the name. Eventually, a brick school was built three miles to the west and became known by various names: Haines, Ballinger, and Upper Ralston Elementary schools.
This site is an historic sawmill site that operated ca. 1865-1920. Some of is associated features include remnants of a log loading dock constructed with raw, saddle-notched logs situated in meadow a few meters above Shinglemill Creek and adjacent to Old Wagon Road. Also, there are remnants of an old wagon, manifest as milled wood side boards, machined bolts and metal brackets and straps, located 70 meters north of the loading dock. A milled wood shed is located 30 meters northwest of the wagon.
The Moffat Filtration Plant was a W.P.A. building project.
David Halliday Moffat, Jr., an empire builder, lived in a portion of the Nelson/Smith home, at 6440 West 60th Avenue while planning a new railroad in 1903 which became known as the Moffat Road. This railroad was the first to master the Continental Divide. Although the railroad did not get past Craig, Colorado, it did dig the 6.2 mile Moffat Tunnel under the Continental Divide. When completed in 1928, this tunnel was the longest in the United States.
Built in 1954. Named for the Eli C. Moloholm, who was a Jefferson County Judge.
This has only a tot playground.
Origin of name not learned.
The first church was at 14th and Ames Street. It was the second oldest church in Lakewood in 1927. The members met in homes in the beginning, and they sold original news letters from 1956. They picked up coal to heat the building.
Montana Creek was the third name of what is now Bear Creek. It was named in 1858 after the town formed along the South Platte River opposite the mouth of the creek. Montana City was the first town founded in northern Colorado, and continued to exist until its population was lured away by Denver and Auraria in 1859.
Origin of name unknown.
The property for Moon Gulch Park was provided by the City’s 6% park requirement from Melody Homes Development and by the City’s portion of Jefferson County Open Space Funds. This five-acre park includes a softball field, back- stop and tennis courts. Part of the area is recessed for flood retention and gives the impression of being moon-shaped from overflow of heavy rains, giving it the name Moon Gulch Park. Walkway doubles for bike path along W. 72nd Avenue.
from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
Morrison & Bergen Park Wagon Road (1876)
This road ran up Bear Creek Canyon and through Troublesome Gulch to Bergen Park.
Built by James Abbo in 1887. Henry Smith and Frank Baker operated a garage here. It was destroyed by fire in 1931 and rebuilt of Morrison brick that same year.
This uranium mine has a 65-foot tunnel that has been tunneled most of the way. The tunnel is located on an outcropped vein.
1957, Uranium Mine operated by Four Corners Uranium Corp. for 282 days with four men. Property owner Pallaro Ranch. The Morrison Mine is located on the east side of the Hog Back three miles south of Morrison. In 1955 the company sunk a 70-foot shaft to reach a body of ore 400 feet long and 60 feet wide located by drilling and core samples. A head frame and hoist was erected.
Built ca. 1877 by the son of founder George Morrison. Tom was a stage coach driver from Morrison to Bradford Junction (now Conifer). He also had a butcher shop (No. 9 in the Morrison Historical Guide) and a saloon at different times.
Morrison was laid out into lots on November 21, 1874 by the Morrison Stone, Lime and Town Company. Although he did not sign the plat of the town, George Morrison was an early resident. He was a Welsh stonemason, who owned parcels of land and built some of the stone buildings, including his own home, in what became the platted portion of town. Governor John Evans was connected to the founders through the Denver South Park and Pacific Railroad, which had been built earlier the same year. The economic reason for being was to haul stone, lime for brickmaking, coal and lumber, which was being timbered farther up Bear Creek Canyon and hauled by horseback to the rail head. Cut to the nearby rock formation, called “Garden of the Titans” by its promoter, John Brisben Walker, passenger traffic soon became a large part of the railroad’s freight. The town soon reached its peak population of 750 in 1880, even boasting a funicular railway up the face of Mt. Morrison (grades for the tracks can still be seen behind the amphitheater at Red Rocks Park). The decline that followed was due to the slow down in lumbering and mineral and stone extraction. By 1910 the population had dwindled to 250 where it remained until 1939. Population gradually increased to the present day population of 465. Morrison was named a Colorado Historic District and place on the National Register of Historic Places on September 28, 1976 (5JF.176).
Morse Park has been established for many years and with the added land from open space that makes all the picnic grounds and facilities, ball fields, swimming pool, lighted tennis courts, flower gardens, concession stand and restrooms makes this park a very popular place. Check with the park for reservations to use picnic facilities.
Uranium mine prospecting on an 800-acre lease with un-patented claims No. 1,2,3,4,5. Property owner Drum and Leavitt Booth. In 1954 three men worked 182 days. Work started 5/1/54. Has 25 foot shaft.
In 1961 this mine was open for guided tours for tourists. Operated by Robert J. Miller.
After Italian-born Francesca Maria established the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart in 1880, she arrived in New York City in 1889 to care for the immigrant orphans and poor. In 1900, most of the Italian workers in Colorado were employed in the mines and their ties to Catholicism were strained. At this time, Bishop Matz of Denver invited Mother Cabrini and the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart to Colorado. In 1903, she opened a school and orphanage in Denver. While picnicking in the mountains, she found a site suitable for a summer home for the orphans. However, there was one severe drawback — lack of water. Mother Cabrini instructed the sisters to dig in a rock strewn gulch and they excavated a spring which has been flowing since. Later, rocks were hauled by donkey to the building location. Mother Cabrini soon left Colorado on other missionary travels and never saw the orphanage finished, which was not completed until after she died in 1917. The Sacred Heart Sisters built two barns, an icehouse, and living quarters of stone. The main house of three stories and 14 rooms was completed in 1914. It is still used for conferences and retreats today. In 1929, a grotto modeled after the Great Shrine of Lourdes in France, was built at the spring Cabrini discovered in 1912. It was improved upon by the Knights of Columbus in 1959. A 22-foot statue of Jesus Christ was erected at the summit of their land in 1954. More than 100,000 “pilgrims” climb the 373 steps to the statue annually. A new convent with a chapel was built in 1970. Mother Cabrini died in 1917 and was canonized in 1946. She established 75 convents, and 67 clinics, hospitals and orphanages. During her lifetime she recruited 3,000 women to the Sisters of the Sacred Heart. The Queen of Heaven Orphanage Summer Camp was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 14, 2000 (5JF.2212).
Massive rock Old Man of the Mountains and inspiration point in Clear Creek Canyon along the Colorado Central Railroad.
This mountain was named by Johnathan Higginson, who homesteaded the Z Bar D Ranch, in honor of his wife, Ruth Anne Banner.
Mt. Dexter is a 1,600-foot high cliff towering over Clear Creek Canyon. It was a scenic point along the Colorado Central Railroad.
The Mount Falcon ruins are the remains of the summer home of John Brisben Walker. Located on a 1,490-acre site, the ruins dominate a property which was untouched since the mansion burned in 1918.
In 1909, John Brisben Walker built Mount Falcon, a handsome sandstone mansion, as a summer home for his family and as a place to entertain his friends. The mansion was situated on a spectacular location of over 7,000 feet overlooking a vast unspoiled acreage including a canyon that plummeted 1,500 feet below.
The basic plan of the building consisted of two one-story wings flanking a courtyard that faced south. Many of the design elements of the structure were similar to Frank Lloyd Wright’s “Prairie” style of architecture.
Although the property was never landscaped, there were stables, a racetrack, a lookout tower, and green space for games. The grounds surrounding the mansion also contained Italian marble benches and other garden furniture in addition to a well head with elaborate wrought iron decoration. Mount Falcon was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Established in June 1980. Name source unknown.
This mountain was named for Josephine Green, wife of John W. Green of Buffalo Creek and the owner of the J.W. Green Mercantile Company. The name was bestowed upon the mountain in the late 1890s.
The mountain had been used in the past by Native Americans as a watch point and signal station. In the 1930s, George Olinger, Sr., founder of the Olinger Mortuary, acquired the mountain and named it “Monte Lindo,” for “beautiful mountain.” Gradually, the mountain became known as Mount Lindo. Olinger planned a subdivision for the mountain and it had limited success. In the 1950s, Olinger sold the mountain to Francis S. Vanderbur. Once when Vanderbur was visiting the mountain with his father, Francis C. Vanderbur, the elder remarked to his son, “I’d like to be entombed up here, and I want a cross to mark the spot.” A mausoleum was built in 1963 and named the Garden of the Cross. Upon the 1964 death of Francis C. Vanderbur, his body was entombed in the Garden of the Cross and his son ordered the construction of a cross on the mountain that would be visible to his widowed mother, Pearl Vanderbur, from her Denver home. Dwight Johnson, vice president and lighting engineer for Sturgeon Electric Company, was assigned the job. The cross was 390′ tall and 254′ wide and its 20,000 watts of fluorescent light were easily seen from Denver when it was illuminated in 1964. The Olinger Cross took first place for Johnson in the International Lighting Competition in New York in 1965. In 1967, the Mausoleum of the Cross was built at the top of the mountain.
This geographic feature is the tallest mountain closest to the town of Morrison. The town was named for George Morrison, an early resident and presumably a part of the Morrison Lime, Stone and Town Company. The town itself was named “Mt. Morrison” until sometime in the 1940s when the US Post Office shortened the name to “Morrison”.
Filled from seepage and Farmer’s High Line Canal, this Water District #7 lake lies northwest of the Mount Olivet Cemetery.
A canyon paralleling Interstate 70 for two or three miles just west of where westbound I-70 enters the foothills. Named after early town of Mount Vernon, which was named by Colorado Governor Robert Steele after the residence of George Washington. The route was recognized by early settlers as the Ute Trail.
In 1992, Intermountain Realty Company of Denver recorded 600-acre lots measuring 25 feet by 125 feet, a 9-hole golf course, and 100 acres of “open space.” The first “members” built summer cabins and adopted covenants to protect wildlife, native plants, and hiking trails near and within the development. “Do Not Pick the Flowers” sings were conspicuously placed everywhere. Two miles of pipeline were laid, and seven miles of roads were cut.
Native stone was the primary construction for the $60,000 club house. There were two kinds of memberships available, both costing $120: “residential” and “associate.” “Residential” families spent the summer at their cabins, enjoying summer recreation, and ate most meals at the clubhouse. Mount Vernon Country Club became non-profit corporation in 1926. The annual fee funded club operations, maintained a water supply, and roads.
By 1939, the golf course became “open space” and all unsold lots were conveyed to the corporation which acted as a homeowners association. By 1941, 71 cabins had been built, and 26 families lived there year round. After World War II, the housing boom hit Mt. Vernon Canyon, and in 1956 the board established a maximum of 100 homes could be built. More land was purchased to total 1200 acres of permanent “open space.”
Many additions to the clubhouse has helped ti become a popular wedding reception, luncheon, dinner dance, special event, center. The swimming pool and tennis courts were added during the 1960s. More water rights, new water mains, and a fire hydrant system were installed in the 1980s.
A metropolitan district was formed in 1992 to provide quasi-city services to residences and the club operation. There are approximately 3500 non-resident members, 700 members in the mountain area, and 100 families who live within the district boundaries. Mt. Vernon residents are ardent environmentalists committed the the preservation of Clear Creek Canyon. In 1996, they voted to release development rights of 340 “open space” acres to the Clear Creek Land Conservancy to allow a public easement through to JeffCo Open Space “Dekker” property.
The sources of Mount Vernon Creek lie north and south of the Genesee exit of I-70. They join on the foot of Mount Vernon and form Mount Vernon Creek. The creek then flows toward the east along I-70 for about 2 1/2 miles until it is blocked by the Hogback and is forced to continue south into Bear Creek in Morrison.
Mount Vernon District was a copper mining district during the 1870s in Jefferson County. Its mines included the Malachite and Morrison.
The stone lintel over the front door is inscribed “1860.” This may well be the erection date of the house as the first recorded date for the house is 1867. The Steel House may have been one of the earliest stone houses built along the Front Range during the 1859 Gold Rush. Built in the “rural cottage” style, the exterior has rusticated polygonal stone on the first level and a “shingle style” treatment on the second. George Morrison built the house. Robert W. Steele occupied the house during the period he was elected “governor” by the local citizenry, a term lasting from October 1859 until June 1861, when Governor Gilpin, President Lincoln’s appointee, took office as Territorial Governor. The Steele house served as a stage station, saloon, Wells Fargo Express office, general store, and post office during its long life.It was listed on the National Register of Historic Place Names (5JF185) on November 20, 1970.
Mount Vernon was one of the first towns to be plotted in the short-lived Territory of Jefferson. In the “Rocky Mountain News, November 17, 1859,” Dr. Joseph Casto announced the new town. In 1860, Mount Vernon was described as having “… has four houses finished and inhabited, and full 20 others under way… Mr. Morrison is building a stone house of delicate chocolate covered tinted free stone….”
Among this first settlers in the spring of 1859 were Robert Steele, the first “Provisional Governor” of the Territory of Jefferson. Another was Dr. Castro, a clergyman, a member of the town company and its chief promoter, one of incorporators of the wagon road that ran through the proposed town to the mines, and later Chief Clerk of the Assembly of the Territory of Jefferson. An early plat of Mount Vernon town is a grid of 3,600 tiny lots. Early settlers built a school and a church. George Morrison built a hotel and toll gate at Mount Vernon before moving to found the town of Morrison.
In 1869 “There are 9 dwelling houses, 2 hotels, 1 store, 2 blacksmiths shops, 5 barns, with other usual outbuildings and that said town now contains about 50 inhabitants.” The school was maintained in the town until 1875 when the Morrison School was opened. By 1885 “Crofutt’s Guide” still listed a post office, a stage stop, and fifty inhabitants. The town was short lived as a result of the railroads’ bypassing Mount Vernon for Golden and Morrison. Two private historic houses and a small fenced cemetery remain and Mount Vernon Creek flows through the site before turning south to meet Bear Creek in Morrison.
Built circa 1924. Designated a county landmark 4/5/2004.
Ball field, basketball court, concession stand, restrooms, soccer field, playground, tennis court, picnic tables, walking trails and flower gardens.
Chartered 1972. Had Colorado’s first mercury vapor street lights. Area is 12 square blocks. The name probably reflects the site of the city. In 1904 the view of the Rocky Mountains would have been spectacular. The town was platted in 1988 as part of Berkeley Subdivision. This crossed county lines into today’s Denver. It was also known as Berkeley Gardens.
Established in 1978. Name descriptive.
Named for town of Mountain View. 1978 – closed sold for private school, Berkeley Annex Elementary.
Probably named for local lakes and nearby mountains
This Church was originally organized as the Center of Hope and moved into their building at 8400 W 94th Avenue in 1971. It became the Mountainview Church in 1983 with Rev. Mark McDowell serving as the first Pastor. Mountainview. Church was reorganized in the same location in 1987.
This park has baseball field, basketball court, concession stand, restrooms, soccer field, playground, tennis courts, picnic tables, walking trails and flower gardens.
Mountair School was organized in 1923 and was created from part of District Number 21. The first school was built about 1908. A red brick, two-room school was constructed south of the location of Belmont Junior High. In 1927 a new six-classroom brick structure was constructed and added to in 1930. In 1955 this building was converted from an elementary school to Belmont Junior High.
This house was built in the late 1800s. The land was owned by the Sloan Lake Family. (Sarah Sloan) Emily K. Crawford lived there as a girl.
Built in 1872, the 4,500-foot long Mower Ditch is an earthen berm ditch that runs along the bottom of a small rise, following the natural contours. The ditch intersects Woman Creek with a headgate to divert water to the ditch. The ditch floes to the Mower Reservoir just to the east of the plant site. Most of the ditch’s improvements were made in the 1950s, including a concrete headgate. A large portion of the ditch was completely retrenched in 1972.
This Water District #7 reservoir spans Woman Creek.
This temporary name came from the Muegele family from whom Wheat Ridge purchased the property with Jefferson County Open Space funds allocated to the city.
On February 20, 1918, John J, Mullen purchased the 720-acre property from Frederick Buechner. Shortly thereafter Mullen built the three-story Pennsylvania Dutch barn with many parallel windows, wooden scalloped boards with an oak hayloft floor that later supported barn dances. The barn was used for shows of J.K. Mullen, Denver flour milling tycoon.
1879 – Incorporated Dec. 27, 1871. Capital Stock 200,000 dollars. John Q. Charles, pres.; Henry C. Dillion, secretary and treasurer; D.M. Murphy, supt. The property comprises 480 acres of land on Ralston Creek, five miles from Golden and one mile form Colorado Central Railroad. Mine had a shaft 14 feet wide by 18 feet long and 150 feet deep. On the surface are two 60 horsepower engines capable of raising tons of coal daily.
Murphy Gulch is an area founded by Eugene Van Murphy in 1915. In the 1930s Ed Stewart, who now resides on the property, built six log houses. In the 1950s there was a real influx of year-round dwellers. In 1978 Murphy Gulch made national news with a terrible forest fire that burned 3000 acres of land. Due to the superb performance of the Inter-Canyon Fire Department, there were no homes lost except for the old Murphy’s Roost, the original structure in the area.
A gulch running northward from Dix Saddle to the vicinity of Kittredge. Name source unknown.