This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
A Denver mountain park of 860 acres, the last major acquisition in 1938, forms a continuous area with Pence Park on the south and Corwina Park on the north. It has trails, fireplaces and picnic grounds. Named after the donor, Martin O’Fallon, an Irish immigrant, plumbing supply owner, Catholic layman and philanthropist. The park, in combination with Corwina and Pence Parks, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF643) on December 28, 1990.
Named for the O’Kane family. Barney, Elizabeth and Betsy. Betsy a daughter still lives at First Avenue and Pierce Street. They had a dairy called the Harp Dairy. Mr. O’Kane died in 1918 and Mrs. O’Kane died in recent years. Barney O’Kane was Jefferson County District Attorney and State legislator and is still practicing.
North Jeffco purchased the property from Thomas D. and Marjorie B. Vanderhoof, August 3, 1962. Funds for Oak Park were made possible in 1967 by the approval of North Jeffco Metropolitan Recreation and Park District. The park is adjacent to 10.7 acres of Campbell School property. In addition to 11.67 acres for the park, the City of Arvada leased the obsolete Campbell Cottage School property to North Jeffco for Oak Park in 1980. North Jeffco converted that area into midget football, baseball and softball fields in 1993. The Park was probably named for the nearby grove of oak trees planted by pioneer David Milne Stott.
Prior to the revision of Jefferson County street names in 1949, this street was named Davis Lane for Harpin Davis, who built the first house on the lane. The Davis family moved west of Arvada in 1864 and homesteaded 160 acres. Harpin was a successful rancher and farmer. Later, some of the land was donated for a roadway called Davis Lane. In 1949 the Jefferson County Zoning Board changed the 10800 block west of Sheridan Boulevard to Oak Street. Oak Street was named for several Burr Oak trees in the area and is in the first double alphabet listing through Arvada.
The community of Oberon was established by February 2, 1904. It never developed into a town but the Oberon Land Company and the Oberon Water Company still exist in this area. It is not known where the name Oberon originated.
A town named Oberon was platted in 1904 but never materialized. However, Oberon Land Company and Oberon Water Company were developed and are currently used. When a Jefferson County District R-1 School was needed in this area, it was given the name Oberon Junior High School (probably for King Oberon in Shakespear’s “Midsummer Night’s Dream”).
Claimant in 1936 was Oberon Water Company. Construction began January 1, 1887. Its water is obtained from Clear Creek via Farmer’s High Line Canal to the Oberon Lateral. Named for the platted subdivision wherein they lie. Oberon Land Company purchased from the Rands. Rand had earlier subdivided an adjoining area below the railroad line and Interurban.
Oberon Road was named for the undeveloped town in which it was located and claimed Oberon Station on Denver Tramway Car No. 82 that traveled between Arvada and Leyden. The name Oberon was taken from William Shakespeare’s play, “Midsummer Night’s Dream.” In this classical play, Oberon was the King of the Fairies.
The Village of Oberon was established Feb. 2, 1904. It never developed into a town, but the Oberon Land Company and the Oberon Water Company still exist in the area.
INACTIVATED AS REPEATS OBERON ENTRY 4/25/14
Built between 1924 and 1930. Designated a county landmark 8/2/2004.
The barn was constructed with squared logs in the mid or late 1930’s.
One of the very earliest mountain area subdivisions, the park, located in Pleasant Park east of Conifer, was platted in 1926 by C.F. Oehlmann.
A simple 8-foot by 15-foot concrete slab bridge spanning an unnamed drainage into Bear Creek. The parapets have crumbled, the wing walls cracked, and the metal is rusting.
A simple 8-foot by 15-foot concrete slab spanning an unnamed drainage into Bear Creek. Iron pipe railings sit atop concrete parapets.
This house was built in 1913. The grounds were elegantly landscaped with a sunken garden, statuary, flowers, shrubs, and trees. The Olingers entertained graciously community, business and social groups-one time 3,000 al fresco. The Olinger Quartette would perform and the entertainment was very special. It was no longer a residence in the 1960s and was converted to a mortuary, most of the gardens became the parking lot. The estate continues to be an attractive establishment.
This road was an early street and connected Middle Golden Road and North Golden Road. It was named for the Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
The log house in which the Robbins Incubator Company was founded was built before 1906 by Mr. And Mrs. Ralph Ord. The couple had worked at the Peabody Ranch east of Dover Street and north of West Colfax Ave. The John Robbins family later leased the house and land, moving away about 1939. Harry and Catherine Chrisman, who bought the house in 1965, began researching the history of the place. Mrs. Ralph Ord came and talked to the Chrisman’s after reading an article about the home in the Denver Post. She said that they transported 16-inch wide logs from the North Park by horse and wagon for the framing of the house. Later, the log exterior was stucco and now has pink siding. During the 1940s the Ord’s son, also named Ralph, constructed a fireplace and a staircase leading to the basement. Six rooms, three of them bedrooms were on the ground floor, the rest of the 915 square foot living space divided into living and dining rooms and a kitchen. Two gabled windows upstairs give the appearance of a secondary story, but was never finished. Two porches, one in the front, and one in the rear, give the appearance of it being more spacious than it is. It is now located in the Idlewild subdivision.
1876 this copper mine opened.
The house was purchased in 1982 for $18,000. The intent was to turn the tiny 1890, three room house of one of Edgewater’s pioneers, Emma Orum, into a museum. The vintage Edgewater house is complete with original kitchen and a wood-burning cookstove. The original wall paper and old photographs still adorn the wall.
O.R. Ostrander subdivided this land April 2, 1890. Small parcel of land cut into home sites by the then owner.
Ground was broken July 26,1959, for the building at 20th and Miller Street. The building is now used as a school and gym. First service was held in 1960. Before this, services were held at Lakewood Senior High School The gym was used as a church until dedication of present church in Aug. l978. New addition was added in 1990.
Established in 1983 on a beautiful 5-acre site with views of the Eagle Cliffs and Legault Mountain.
A camp owned by the Catholic charities of the Archdiocese of Denver, operated from 1947 to 1973 for more than 100 underprivileged children of Denver.
Built between 1866 and 1870, this small farmhouse was constructed of river rocks stacked horizontally in Native American architectural style. Currently owned by the Lakewood Parks and Recreation Department.