Built in 1912, this 1-1/2 story, 1,848 sq. ft. house has brick and frame walls.
In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
Built in 1912, this 1-1/2 story, 1,848 sq. ft. house has brick and frame walls.
Built ca. 1900. This is believed to be an older house that was moved in and added to about 1910. Frank Baker bought it ca. 1930 and raised two children. Frank Baker’s mother was a Groom, Julie Ann Groom Baker.
Built ca. 1883. Original owner/ builder was F.K. Palmer (owner of Palmer and Sons Vegetable Market listed in the 1885 Business Directory as one of the first markets in Golden). Architecture is Victorian Eclectic with Queen Anne influence. The house ia a good example of a vernacular L-gable house. The brick house has arched windows complete with flower carved keystones.
In 1940-1950 the view from this area was a “panorama.” This park was originally a part of a special district, the Wheat Ridge Recreation District, which conducted a contest for naming the park. This entry, submitted by Mrs. Villabelle Baker, was chosen. When the city was incorporated in 1969 the special district gave all its properties to the city and the special district was dissolved. Facilities for baseball, soccer, football, basketball and tennis are here, as well as a playground, picnic tables, a pavillion and restrooms.
Platted in 1960. Name source unknown.
This Wheat Ridge city park is in the eastern section of Paramount Heights, a subdivision developed by Lee Doud in the 1950s. Baseball, basketball, soccer, a playground, picnic tables, a pavillion, and restrooms are features of this park.
Named for sub division, developed by Lee Doud for the convenience of his nearby subdivision residents.
Property owned and developed by agent of R.T. Davis family in 1960. Area enlarged in subsequent years to extend from original 38th to 41st Avenues to 44th Avenue. Super markets and drug stores main anchors. Renamed Town Center.
It was in existence from January 27, 1890, to May 26, 1896. The Foxton Post Office operated on the site from January 21, 1909, until 1990, when mail was delivered to the Buffalo Creek Post Office.
The school was in operation approximately 5 years from 1909-1914 with 6 pupils (more or less). At the present time, the structure is part of a cabin at Foxton.
Park Street was originally laid out with the Golden Park Addition plat, and may have been named after the addition. Never opened until the 1950s due to its location on impassable terrain, it was renamed 3rd Street by ordinance in 1904. Later, a new Park Street was platted 3 1/2 blocks to the north.
The church is located across 33rd Avenue from Wheat Ridge City Panorama Park. Organized in 1951 in Denver, the congregation moved to Wheat Ridge in 1960.
This brick Colonial Revival House was built in 1941. The house was designed by Denver architect Donald Weese for Ben Parker, Sr., president of the School of Mines from 1946 to 1950.
The gulch is about one mile long and becomes Cub Creek near Cub Creek campground. Land including part of the gulch was purchased in 1948 by John Parmakian, a U.S. Department of the Interior employee who was given the opportunity to name the area. In the early 1950s he named it Parmakian Gulch. John Parmakian was a mechanical engineer who was instrumental in the oversight of construction of Hoover Dam (now Boulder Dam), authored a definitive textbook on Waterhammer Analysis in 1955, served in World War II and retired as a Colonel, and was a lifelong Colorado resident.
The Ute Indians (Blue Sky People) and fur traders inhabited the area known as Indian Hills. A French Canadian named Andre is believed to be the region’s first settler. The land passed from the Utes to Federal Government in a series of treaties in March 1858, April 1874, March 1880.
Parmalee Gulch was approved by Surveyors Martin Luther and Canfield Marsh on March 6, 1875. The Gulch was named for John D. Parmalee, who came to Colorado in 1860. Parmalee built the Turkey Creek Canyon Road, and a road connecting with Bergen’s Post Office on the way to Idaho Springs.
Constructed of square cut logs, this probably is the oldest house in Indian Hills. No record of the builder exists, but the dates 1859-1928 are scratched in a cemented over hearth.
John D. Parmalee owned the Turkey Creek Wagon and Toll Road and also built the Parmalee Gulch Road. Used as residence and Post Office from 1926-1951.
J.D. Parmalee petitioned Jefferson County in 1869 to locate County Road starting at Bergen’s House running down Gulch to Hendershott’s House on Myer’s Mill on Bear Creek.
The original Parmalee School was also known as the Parmalee Gulch and the old Indian Hills School. It was originally built of logs and named after John D. Parmalee (also spelled “Parmelee), an early settler in 1896. This school served for the Tiny Town area. The original school burned in 1919, a new one-room structure was built and opened in 1925, 3/4 mile west of Hwy 285. The building is now used as a community center. A new building was built in 1962 and the school opened with 200 students and is the present Parmalee Elementary School.
The original schoolhouse (1923-1949) was greatly enlarged by the addition of the main hall and restrooms in the early 1950s. Used as a firehouse for the local fire department, 1950-1975. In 1958, the structure was deeded to the Indian Hills Improvement Association. Since 1975 the building has served as the Indian Hills community Center. It is a one-story structure of 2000 sq. ft., with dark brown wooden siding and a gabled roof.
This toll road was completed about 1870 by J. D. Parmalee. It began in Bergen Park and ran through what became Kittredge and Indian Hills, and on to Turkey Creek.
This R-1 District school was named for Glennie and Esta Parr, who bought the land in 1953. They donated 10 acres for the school, and three and one-half acres for a park. The school was built in 1969.
In 1875 this copper mine yielded rich carbonates and gray copper.
Built circa 1930. Designated a county landmark 9/8/2003.
Built in 1964. Named for Margaret Patterson, who was teacher and principal of that school.
Peace Lutheran was officially organized on February 18, 1955. While the church was being built on three acres of ground at Grandview Avenue and Field Street, members attended services in the Clear Creek Valley Grange Hall, 5665 Wadsworth Boulevard. Rev. Eugene J. Jobst officiated at the dedication services for the new church on July 18, 1954. He was pastor of Peace Lutheran from 1955 until 1959. Pastor and Dottie Jobst died in the Big Thompson Flood on July 31, 1976.
Uranium mine, operated by Vern Hawkins, owned by Fred Pearce. An open 20 foot prospect shaft. Begun 4/1/56.
Built ca. 1888. The Pearmans lived here from 1919 until about 1939. Pearl was the daughter of Jonas Schrock, a pioneer of Morrison who homesteaded on Mt. Falcon.
Two-story frame houses.
These Water District #7 reservoirs are filled from Clear Creek. Appropriation date January 1, 1968.
Joe Pearson built this 2,131,sq. ft., 2-story frame house with a gabled roof in 1905. His son, Joseph Pearson, Jr., was raised on the farm and later went on to be Colorado Lieutenant Governor.
This Jefferson County District R-1 School was built in 1966. It was named for Homer N. Peck, superintendent of Arvada Schools from 1931-1941.
This school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It was remodeled in 1986.
A Denver mountain park of 320 acres originally called Dixie Park, added to the system in 1928. It was renamed for Kingsley Pence, Chamber of Commerce and Real Estate Exchange member, and it has picnic grounds and fireplaces. A fatal winter “tubing” accident there in 1978 led to a ban on all tubing in mountain parks. The park, in combination with Corwina and O’Fallon Parks, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF643) on December 28, 1990.
Jefferson County R-1 School District. Built in 1960-1961. Addition in 1965, 6 more classrooms and library. Named for Lila Golden Pennington, math teacher and counselor, Wheat Ridge High School, 1925-1954.
Named for Lewis K. Perrin who owned property in this area.
Built in 1876 by Pete Christenson, the name and date are still on the building above the door. Later, Pete Schneider had a shoe shop there. It is an antique shop at the present time.
The structure was built with native sandstone in 1876 by Pete Christensen. The date and name of the contractor are inscribed in the sandstone in a decorative triangular gable above the door. Pete Christensen lived at 601 Bear Creek Avenue. The structure was built for Pete Schneider. The four Schneider brothers immigrated to America from Germany. Two of the brothers ranched in the Evergreen area, while Pete and his brother, Jake, were merchants in Morrison.
It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF226) on September 10, 1981.
The various dates of construction of the building range from 1922 to 1960s. The old house was moved in 1948. The turkey farm originally included one barn, one garage, four boarding houses, one silo, and seven sheds.
Bill Peterson, originally from Illinois, moved to Arvada in 1908. He purchased the pool hall and barber shop located in the Wiebelt Building in 1913. Eight years later, Peterson purchased the Arvada Garage from Judge Wilber at 7509 Grandview Avenue. He moved the pool hall, including a lunch counter, to this new location.
This is a private family plot with the first burial 1889, and is still in use.
Built c. 1890, the barn and blacksmith shop are what remains of this ranch. The 20’x30′ barn is constructed of vertical hand hewn timbers with a tin roof and a slant roofed side shed. The blacksmith shop is a 10’x12′ log and board construction building, but the chinking has disappeared.
Small gabled house (ca. 1895) typical of turn of the century bungalow. Dr. Palmer lived here. Later, Frank Baker, son of Julie Ann Baker, lived here with his family while he ran the garage with Henry Smith on the Main Street of Morrison for many years.
William F. Phillips built the 21′ x 21′ log house, 25′ x 30′ log stable, two storage buildings, 9′ x 18′ and 12′ x 21′, and corrals in the 1920s on land he leased from Arthur Shankee. Phillips came to Colorado from Texas with is family to start a wood harvesting business. It met with little success with little market for second growth lodgepole pines that grew on the mostly rocky, north facing slopes of the property. The Phillips family stayed on the ranch until abandoning it in the 1950s.
S1/2 of SE 1/4 of S11 and N1/2 of NE1/4 of S14, T55, R70W. Homesteaded on November 13, 1888, by Wiley Phillips. Was a Post Office from July 2, 1896, to October 22, 1896. Confessed cannibal Alferd Packer spend his final days in Phillipsburg.
Norris Bailey, home after the war, decided to enroll at Capitol Pharmacy College at the University of Denver on the GI Bill. After graduating he worked at Dixie Drug Store on Denver’s Franklin Street. There he met another pharmacist named Elbert Phillips. The men decided to go into business together and bought land from Mrs. Olive Priest at Colfax and Quail Street. The decided to combine their names to become “Philnor”, the grand opening was August 13, 1949. The original 1,500 square foot structure grew to 10,000 square feet. Bailey’s two sons Norris Jr. and Thomas later ran the store.
source of name unknown
Built ca. 1880. It burned in 1919 and had to be repaired. Mazie and David O. Gage had a dance hall in 1919. After a flood in 1938, the Schneiders moved into this building and continued the drug store business until 1973. Schneider started in business in Morrison before 1898.
It was created in 1907 by combining the Pikes Peak Reserve, the Plum Creek and the South Platte Timberline Reserves (established 1892) for the United States Department of Agriculture. In this 1,105,704 acres of Pike National Forest (of which a third is in Jefferson county), many trails, camping, and picnic grounds are maintained by the Forest Service for use by the public. Elk, deer, mountain sheep, antelope and bear are found in Pike National Forest, one of 154 National Forests with ten of them in Colorado. Pike National Forest is named for Pike Peak, which was named for Zebulon Pike, the leader of a U.S. exploratory expedition in 1806 into what was then the southwest portion of the Louisiana Purchase of 1803.
Built in 1880. Pike was a nephew of Zebulon Pike (of Pike’s Peak fame). The Pikes were merchants in Morrison. It is a residence at the present time.
Built ca. 1885 for a Methodist church. The Pillar of Fire bought the church from the town in 1932 as a memorial to Alma White. It is now a community church.
This house was built c. 1880. One of its inhabitants was Charles Pike, who claimed to be a cousin of Zebulon Pike, the leader of the 1804 exploratory expedition that traveled up to the headwaters of the Arkansas. Pike was a Morrison merchant and its mayor once. In 1921, the house was purchased by the Pillar of Fire Church.
It was platted by Charles Dake about 1885 to be a summer resort, naming it Pine Grove. Trains on the narrow-gauge railroad line from Denver to Leadville took on water and coal at this location. By 1878 the Denver, South Park & Pacific lines had been laid through Pine. In 1883, the population was near 300 with many businesses flourishing and the town remained so until the last train came through in 1937. At the present time, the community remains a summer resort, plus a home for year-round residents. It was probably named for groves of Pine trees in the area.
The first known burial was in 1889, and the last in 1925. It is no longer in use and there are no records available of how many internments.
This white frame structure was built in late 1880s as a church by local Methodists and later used by Mormons in late 1930s. William Baehr purchased the structure in 1950 and gave it to the community to be used as the Pine Community Center. After restoration in the early 1970s it was named a State Historical Site.
Designated a county landmark 8/2/2004.
It was organized as a community church in July 1954, in the home of the Rev. and Mrs. L. Brooks Lauman, who conducted services one year. The next five years, several makeshift accommodations were used. The present church building was started in the late 1950s and several additions have been made. Seven ministers have served people of this southern-most part of the county as a year-round church.
The building was built in 1896 in Pine Grove (Pine) to house the Pine Mercantile Co. Later it was the post office and telegraph office. From 1942-1955, a grocery occupied the building, and in 1965 it became a gift shop. Living space and a stock room were added in 1972.
Designated a county landmark 8/2/2004, which gives date built as 1886.
Built in 1931. Designated a county landmark 8/2/2004.
Charles Dake platted the town about 1885 to be a summer resort, and named it Pine Grove. Trains on the narrow-gauge railroad line from Denver to Leadville took on water and coal at this location. By 1878 the Denver, South Park & Pacific lines had been laid through Pine. In 1883, the population was near 300 with many businesses flourishing, and the town remained so until the last train came through in 1937. At the present time, the community remains a summer resort, plus a home for year-round residents. It was probably named for groves of pine trees in the area.
This was the first coaling station west of Denver on the Colorado & Southern Railroad and a base for several helper engines and crews. It was destroyed by fire early in the 20th century and rebuilt. The station was discontinued in April 1937 when the line was discontinued and later became a residence.
This school was built in 1868 of hand-hewn logs, and the first benches and desks were of split logs fitted together. In 1924, the crumbling logs were removed. Highway 285 now runs over the site of this school.
May also be located on the Bailey USGS quad, S1 T7S R72W.
Probably named for evergreen trees surrounding gulch.
DUPLICATE ENTRY WITH SILVER SPRINGS CEMETERY
This landmark was originally called Pine Grove. A ranch with the same name was located in the vicinity of an old toll road and extended a short distance down Pine Grove Gulch (or Pine Gulch, now County Road #126). A school was built here in 1868 on hand-hewn logs which were removed in 1924. Highway 285 now runs over this old site. The present name was entered on the map after the highway was completed.
Constructed by William Baher in 1930. The railroad constructed Pine Spur to pull off and pick up ice cut from this lake, Crystal Lake, and Haviland Lake.
Built to house a saloon in 1890, the structure became a grocery store and ice cream parlor later. At one time a local women’s club used it for a meeting hall. It became a library in the 1970’s and a branch of the Jefferson County Library System for approximately 10 years. At the present time, the library is operated and financed by contributions of time and funds.
It was established March 28, 1882, and discontinued December 14,1918, but reopened April 1919. On September 30, 1960, it moved to Conifer as a rural station under Conifer. The post office regained its independent status and reopened in Pine on July 22, 1961. In 1991, a new building was erected at Pine Junction to house this post office. Early postmasters included: Edwin M. Dimick, 1882; Albert H. Dake, 1888; R.C. McCallum,1920.
Built in 1898, as many as 40 students attended at times. As long as the narrow gauge railroad made its daily run, the school population continued to be adequate, but when the line was discontinued in 1937, the town decreased in population. By 1956, there were only 6 students and the school closed. The structure became a private residence. The name was originally Pine Grove School, but one with the same name operated at Pine Junction when it was called Pine Grove in the 1860s. This led to the school’s name to be changed to Pine School.
The property was bought in 1928 by the Baehr family of Chicago and a large castle-like structure was built for summer living, called “Baehr Den”.This was sold in 1960 after the death of the owners, to a group of professional men from Denver. It was used as a retreat and for recreational purposes and sold again in the late 1960s when a large dining room was opened to the public and a conference room modernized . It was renamed Pine Valley Ranch; closed in the late 1970s and sold to the Jefferson County Open Space. It is closed to the public at the present time.
The subdivision was named for the Pine Valley Ranch. Homes were built in the 1980s along the border of the present Pine Valley Ranch Open Space Park.
In 1896, J.W. Hildebrand, cattle rancher, homesteaded land called Pine Valley and built cabins at the site of the present lodge. 1908 saw the transfer of ownership to the Eckert Ice Company, that cut ice from Crystal Lake and shipped it to Denver via the Colorado & Southern Railroad. In 1925, a Chicagoan, W.A. Baehr, bought the property and built a large manor-like structure for summer use and named it Baehr Den. It was sold in 1956 to a group of professional businessmen, mostly from Denver, and was used as a fishing retreat. In 1975, the property was again sold and extensive remodeling was done: a conference wing was made available, an indoor swimming pool built, also a large dining room, all for the public’s use. The place became known as the Pine Valley Ranch and operated until the late 1970s. Jefferson County Open Space purchased the 820 acre property in 1986 for $2.35 million . Additional moneys were used for parking lots, new roads, bridges, restrooms and other improvements. It opened to the public in July 1994 with fishing, trails, picnic areas, and other recreational activities. The large lodge is to be reopened for use at a future date.
It was built on the Baehr Property in the 1930s as part of what is now the Pine Valley Ranch Park and open to the public by reservations through Jefferson County Open Space.
Built for Gov. John Evans by George Morrison in 1874. Built of native red and white sandstone 3 stories high, the building was 123′ long, 50′ deep with a wing 36′ x 30′. The architecture is a Swiss cottage style featuring magnificent arched windows with narrow leaded panes. It originally had 42 rooms with 16′ ceilings. It is situated on the highest ground in town and affords a grand view in all directions. Called the Swiss Cottage, it was purchased in 1884 by the Catholic bishop, Joseph Machebeuf, for the use of a Jesuit order. It then became the Sacred Heart College, which was moved to Denver a few years later. At that time Frank Kirchoff purchased the building and gave it to St. Elizabeth’s as a retreat in memory of his wife. It was administered by six sisters of the Poor Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration. Later it became the Pine Haven Manor. Later in the 1970s it became the Pinehurst Nursing Home.
Built c. 1882, it was originally a one-room, gable roofed, hand-hewn square cut log cabin. There have been numerous additions like additions on either side of the original cabin. There is a large field stone chimney serving the original fireplace.
During the 1880s the house was purchased by William Dailey, brother of John Dailey, co-founder of the Rocky Mountain News. Folklore credits this building with being the first cabin in Bear Creek Canyon.
This street was platted by Nettie Slater Lazell to develop the subdivision of her larger acreage. It is now Upham Street.
The date construction was 1861-1863, with the earliest priority date of Dec. 12, 1861. It is one of the few early irrigation ditches in the Denver Metropolitan area to retain its original appearance and function. Early farms known to have drawn water from the ditch include Hodgson, Mc Pheeters, Reed, and Lewis families. In 1884 the Pioneer Union Ditch Company was formed and issued 80 shares of stock with a value of 100 dollars per share. William Hodgson served as the first president of the company, and retained the position until March 1888. In 1967, the ditch was abandoned east of Wadsworth Blvd. During the 1970s and 1980s, shares were acquired primarily by the City of Lakewood, the Denver Board of Water Commissioners, and the Public Service Company of Colorado.
Piquette Ditch is in Water District No. 7 and had priority No. 4 (June 16,1861). Water was taken from the north bank of Ralston Creek. Claimants in 1884 were Leon Piquette, Robert Bunny and Robert Faragher. This ditch was shown on a c. 1900 map once used in Jefferson County Courthouse. Properties of Bunny (Buney) and Faragher appear on Willett’s 1899 Farm Map.
1879- Owned by John Nichols. Located at the mouth of Chimney Gulch, 1/2 mile from Golden. The vein is eight inches in width, trends north and south, and pitches 17 degrees west. The shaft is 200 feet deep and four entries aggregating 2000 feet in length. On the surface is an engine house 18 feet by 32 feet, containing a 16 horsepower engine, one steam pump, and an hoisting apparatus. Yield 80 tons daily.
Feb 1882, fire destroyed the engine room and a portion of fixtures. Damage estimated at 15,000 dollars.
Built 1935 near Plainview (see ESQ, Towns). The school was used until May 1951 when children were bused to Golden.
Near the town of South Platte, downstream to Kassler, the South Platte River cuts a deep, narrow canyon through Pre-Cambrian granite and metamorphic gneiss. Occasional crystal-bearing rings are exposed in the metamorphased rocks. In 1874, the Denver, South Park, and Pacific began work on a narrow gauge railroad through the canyon to connect Denver with the rich mining camps of South Park and Leadville. The Denver Water Board maintains a service road along the old railroad bed, which provides access for trout fishermen and cyclists.
This ditch starts on the Platte River, intersecting the above listed sections and flowing into Arapahoe County.
Open excavating for dam owned by Denver Water Board. Constructed was a concrete diversion dam and appurtenant works at Platte Canyon Intake and installed a 90 inch and 60 inch water conduit.
The campground lies adjacent to the South Platte River, for which it was named.
This street was named after the Platte River, and has historically been a main east-west thoroughfare through Golden. It was renamed by city ordinance in 1904.
The name may have originated with Harvey Leander Corbin who arrived in 1871 with seven other families from North Carolina and has been quoted as having said, “This looks like a pleasant place to park.”
The Pleasant Park Cemetery Association was organized in 1919 and accepted an acre of land from T. M. Gray. In 1979 Alden and Betty Legault donated another acre of land to expand the cemetery. The first recorded burial is a Mrs. Brown in 1875 before the cemetery became official. Plots of four grave sites at one time cost $2.50. Name from the mountain park in which it is located.
The building was constructed in 1894 as the Pleasant Park School. There was a time when school was held only in spring and summer months because of the winter’s deep snows. The land and building were sold in 1956 to the Pleasant Park Grange which installed an electrical system, although the walls still bear the brackets on which were hung the gas mantle lanterns of an earlier era. The grange itself was organized in 1907. The building underwent extensive rehabilitation from 1994 to 1997, and in 1996 was placed on the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties.
The first Pleasant Park School was a half “dug in,” half log structure built in one day in the late 1870s and located not far from Highway 88 on Oehlmann Park Road. The present building was built in 1894 by Joe Heubner and the Kuehster families. Into the late 1930s Pleasant Park School was one of the last schools to still have classes in summer months only due to travel distances for children and severe winters. Classes there ceased in 1946 after serving as a schoolhouse for 55 years, but were held again in part of 1954-1955 as overflow from Conifer Junction School. Since 1907, the schoolhouse has been in continuous use by Pleasant Park Grange #156, who took over ownership of the building in 1956. The building’s architecture epitomizes the rural schoolhouse in its size, plan, roof shape, materials, and placement of doors and windows. On June 12, 1996, it was placed on the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties, 5JF972.
This District R-1 school was built in 1973. It was named for the nearby Pomona Lakes, currently only one lake remains, others have been filled in.
Pomona Lakes Parks are City parks, completed in 1976. and cover an area of 17 acres. Bureau of Reclamation monies provided half of the good greenbelt connection. Pomona West was changed to Rainbow Park 1, Pomona middle to Rainbow Park 2, and Pomona East to Rainbow Park 3.
Claimant in 1936 was Emma Coldiron Chambers. This Water District #7 reservoir is filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via Farmers High Line Canal. Construction commenced in 1881 and enlargement in August 1901.
Claimant in 1936 was Emma Coldiron Chambers. Filled from water diverted from the north bank of Little Dry Creek. Construction began April 1887–enlarged October 13, 1903.
Construction began in 1885 and the reservoir was enlarged in March of 1905. Filled with water diverted from Clear Creek via Farmers High Line Canal, it was later abandoned.
In 1889, Georgie Potter died at the age of three years and was buried near the banks of Clear Creek. There was a simple wooden grave marker at the site that was removed by the Wheat Ridge Parks and Recreation Department and stored in their service building.
This was a re-subdivision of a portion of James Richard’s Lake Side subdivision recorded on Dec. 5, 1890.
In 1859 and the early 1860s, the Prospect Trail turned north at Wadsworth but as development continued the road was extended to Olivet Road (Youngfield Street) where it ended. It was the “Main Street” of the communities of Wheat Ridge and Prospect Valley.
The entrance is on 44th Avenue which was the Prospect Trail to the gold fields of 1859. 44th Avenue was first Prospect Avenue in 1900. This is site of Berbert House (community center). Clear Creek forms south side of park and is a main section of the Green Belt. Baseball, softball, football fields, basketball and tennis courts, bike paths and Green Belt molding packs, playground, picnic tables, pavilion, fishing. Recreation center, restrooms, concessions.
This street is now known as Miller Street and there is also a Miller Court and Miller Place.
Jefferson County District R-1 school replaced former District #44 building on 38th Avenue, 1968. Observed 100 anniversary of school 1992.
Proceeded by Brown Schools at 35th & Kipling (Howell). Organized 1892, District #44 from building. Moved to 10401 W. 38th, a 4-room brick enlarged several times. Became part of R-1 in 1950. Building used for special education the George E. Hook School. Then Jefferson County Community Center. Building demolished about 1980.
1947 was the date of organization of this volunteer fire department.
It served the area south of Clear Creek to 26th Avenue, Youngfield Street to Kipling Street. In 1971, Prospect Valley Fire Department merged with Wheatridge Fire department and was designated as Station #2. This was the year transport emergency medical service began with the city providing an ambulance with the fire department manning the service. The men received paramedic training at Lutheran Medical Center.
It was built as a hotel at the turn of the century by W.M. Prosser and wife who came from New York City to accommodate railroad workers, passengers, tourists and visitors from as far away as Illinois and Tennessee. Family members Myrtle Prosser Williams and husband occupied it as recently as the late 1950s. When the narrow-gauge railroad line was discontinued in 1939, the hotel lost most of its business. It is now a private residence.