In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
Built ca. 1872. Built for the men building the railroad, this structure was moved to its present location close to the tracks from 315 Spring Street on Bear Creek. Mr. Prinze had it moved to its present location in 1926 and sold it for a residence.
Built in 1873. It was the station for the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad. Freight transported consisted of building stone, marble, lime, fence posts and lumber from saw mills along Bear Creek. Items were hauled down by wagons to the train in Morrison. The train also provided transportation to and from Denver and made its last scheduled run in 1925. It was abandoned after the 1933 flood. The railroad played an important part in the history of Morrison.
Rainbow Parks 1, 2, and 3 are City Parks, approved by the citizens of Arvada in the 1974 Bond Referendum. Rainbow 1 is located on W. 84th Ave. East of Garrison St., Rainbow 2 at W. 81st Pl and Pomona Dr., and Rainbow 3 at Yarrow St. and Allison St. It is not know why these parks were changed to Rainbow Parks 1, 2, and 3.
Origin of name not learned. The Colorado Trail passes by this peak.
The Denver and Middle Park Railroad was completed in 1884 from Ralston on the Colorado Central Railroad north of Golden, northwesterly to Glencoe. The town of Ralston was abandoned in 1898.
Located on the Colorado and Central Railroad between Ralston and Dry Creek (now Van Bibber Creek) to Murphy Coal Mine in 1878. The track was abandoned by 1886. The non-existent settlement was named for nearby Ralston Creek.
Eroded, upturned beds of the Fountain formation form two promontories here. A fault zone in the vicinity of Ralston Creek has aided in warping the formation even more. From Golden some residents refer to the Buttes as “Old Indian Head” because of their resemblance to a reclining human head when viewed from that direction.
Ralston Cemetery was named because it was located near Ralston Crossing. The first burials in the cemetery were the triplets born to S.S. and M.J. Osborn on October 2, 1869. Ira died the day he was born, Ida died six days later on October 8, 1869, and Charles W. died on December 17, 1869. As expected, this cemetery was also referred to as the Osborn Hill Cemetery. A quit claim deed was given by Mary Ann Broad on May 17, 1902, and recorded on September 6, 1902, for a tract of land of 2.82 acres to be used as a community cemetery. The land’s legal description is oval shaped on a knoll that can be seen from Eldridge Street or West Sixty-fourth Avenue. Trustees for the cemetery were William C. Carroll, Torrence White, and Joseph A. Newcomb. A wagon road, 16 feet wide, leading from the county road to the burial site was included with the order that the land area was to be used “for burial purposes only and never to be used for any other purpose.”
Early in the 1990s, the surrounding area was being developed into a subdivision. Dennis Bowman, Barbera and Jim Tracy were instrumental in having the City of Arvada preserve and maintain the Ralston Cemetery. The dedication was held June 29, 1996. Mayor Bob Frie participated by giving the history of the area. Ralston Cemetery was added to the State Register of Historic Places.
Formerly known as “Safeway Park,” the name was changed to Ralston Cove Park, located south of Brooks Drive from Garrison Street west to W 59th Place along Ralston Creek. The Student Council at Fitzmorris Elementary School selected six final names from those submitted. Students voted for their favorite name. “Ralston Cove Park” suggested by a fifth grader, Wesley Coplen, became the name of the enlarged park. It was built primarily with Open Space funds and was dedicated on June 18, 1984.
The name Ralston comes from the man who led the gold-seeking party that first discovered gold on that creek June 22, 1850. Lewis Ralston led a group of Cherokee people to this area to look for gold, and the creek was named after him when it was found there. The Ralston Creek Gold Discovery Site added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
“A new road to the Gregory mines is being opened up Ralston Creek. From this city the route is by the Arapahoe Road to a point beyond Clear Creek, then diverging to the north it passes above the Table Mountain and enters the range four miles north of Golden City, thence following up Ralston Creek to the old road at Cold Spring, seven miles this side of Gregory. It is said to be an excellent route.”
This road traversed Ralston Canyon to connect with Golden-Boulder Road on east and Gregory Road on west. About 13 miles long. See Golden Quad, Western Foothills Region for toll gate and railroad information. Spelled: Ralson Creek per Vlouk map, 1865; Montana GMC map, 1862.1870, and Colorado map, Tolbert (Moubs), 1865. The lower portion in Arvada would later become Ralston Road.
This community, which is no longer in existence, contained a school, post office, blacksmith shop and stage stop. None of these buildings exist except for Ralston Crossing School, which has been moved to the Belmar Museum Grounds. The settlement, established in the early 1860s, was named for the road (Highway No. 72) as it crossed over Ralston Creek.
This District Number 12 school was built in 1869 at the intersection of Ralston Creek and Indiana St. The school was in the settlement of Ralston Crossing, hence the name Ralston Crossing School. The school was moved to the Belmar Museum Grounds in 1983.
This was a territorial post office 1863-1866, 1867-1870. Later it became a Colorado post office for six months, April 4, 1887-October 27, 1887. Postmasters who served from 1863-1866: George L. Strope, James E. Blake, C. Littlefield, and Stephen Osborn. Those who served from 1867-1870: Milton Matthews, Francis J. McQuiston, and Alford Hurst. Those who served for the six months period in 1887 were George Maxwell and Matt Ekern. Postmasters only lasted a few months because this area was sparsely populated, consequently the pay was poor and often the postmasters were not paid at all.
The exact date of Ralston Crossing Stage Stop is not known. When the dwelling was razed in the 1970s, the inside walls were insulated with Mankato, Minneapolis newspapers, dated 1856 for the front of the building, and 1861 for the addition. The stage stop was so named because it was the easiest crossing over Ralston Creek to the gold mining regions in the mountains.
Gold was discovered, June 22, 1850 by Lewis A. Ralston in the creek named for him. Other prospecting parties followed this group of Cherokees which spurred the Pikes Peak Gold Rush of 1858-59 and opened up Kansas Territory and the future State of Colorado in 1876.
Dedicated on January 23, 1955, the Ralston School was named after Lucian M. Ralston, a homesteader who had served 36 years on the Rockland School Board. Next to the cafeteria door, the plaque still reads,”This School was named in honor of a colorful pioneer who came to this area in 1879. He was the essence of the quiet strength of his beloved mountains.” Several additions have expanded the school to serve an enrollment of over 450 students in 1998.
The Ralston School of the 1990s offers many privately financed enrichment classes before and after school hours for students who score much higher than the District average. Four additional classrooms are expected to be built the 1997 bond election.
The Lewis Ralston Gold Discovery Site is the location of one of the early Euro-American gold discoveries in Colorado. Although the 1850 strike never yielded large quantities of gold, reports of the discovery led to the return of other prospectors in 1858, specifically the William Russell party, whose subsequent search for gold resulted in several discoveries which began Colorado’s first gold rush. Designated a State Register Historic Site on December 13, 1995 (5JF.419).
Ralston Presbyterian Church was probably named because of its close proximity to the community of Ralston Crossing. Mr. and Mrs. Joseph A. Newcomb gave one-half acre of land and a cash donation for the construction of the church. Before the church was completed in 1910, Rev. Victor Trelick held services in Ralston Crossing schoolhouse. When it became Ralston Valley Chapel Community Church in 1963, the belfry was transformed into a steeple, and the red brick church was painted white. The appearance of the church changed again in 1982 when it was sold to the Vietnamese Buddhist Congregation of Colorado. The appearance and name changed again to West Ridge Christian Church for a few years.
Captain Lucian Ralston (1830-1894) first scouted Colorado for the federal government in 1855. He was especially moved by Mt. Vernon Canyon (which had no name until Mt. Vernon was founded in 1859). He moved his family to Golden from Kentucky in 1879 and settled in a log cabin near Cody Park in 1880. He helped build the first Rockland Church and homesteaded a ranch.
After he died of Civil War wounds in 1894, his son Lucian McKee continued to manage the Ralston homestead. In 1900, he married Bessie Lindsay, daughter of Dr. Sam Lindsay, the pioneer settler of the Pine Grove community in South JeffCo.
Lucian and Bessie developed a variety of enterprises to sustain their seven children. In 1903, they opened a general store next to their ranch house and outbuildings which were next to the one-room Rockland School. Ralston served the board of education for 35 years and was the first Chaplain for the Genesee Grange #219 in 1913. He was also a Jefferson County Deputy Sheriff for many years. He added a large room behind the store for community meetings and celebrations.
Ralston donated 56 acres of his Genesee Mountain land to Denver Mountain Parks in 1919 and helped the Denver Ski Club build the Ski Jump adjacent to his Genesee land in 1920. He worked for Denver Mountain Parks for 14 years, building roads and establishing picnic areas.
In 1938, U.S. Highway 40 was built high above the old Rockland Road, and Ralston built a second store (still standing vacant between Lookout Mountain Road and I-70 Exit 254). When the federal government planned to build Interstate 70 directly through the Ralston Ranch, the family traded some of their land with developers of Genesee for land south of Spring Ranch in the Cold Springs (crosses Kerr Gulch). “Grandad” Ralston was the center of stability for the community until he died in 1957, after the new Ralston Elementary School was named for him.
Lucian M. Ralston was inducted into the Jefferson County historic Hall of Fame in 1997. No traces of the original homestead remain but son Norman has preserved some of the original ranching tools.
North Jeffco acquired the property for Ralston Recreation Park by a joint agreement between the Hoskinson Brothers, the Allen Estate, and Jeffco School District R-1, in 1960. The Center consisted of Arvada’s first indoor swimming pool (Architect Harold Carver), ball fields, open areas, and was dedicated in 1967. The pool did not have a name until it was dedicated McFadden Pool, January 25, 1986. Jim T. McFadden originated, administered, and had been a regular instructor in the pool’s handicap program for 15 years. He taught disabled persons to swim, some were minus one or two limbs. Tim was terminally ill with cancer, but lived to see the pool named for him before he passed away, February 14, 1986.
Hoskinson Brothers, developers of Allendale Subdivision, deeded land to Jefferson County School District R-1 for Arvada West High School and to North Jeffco Metropolitan Recreation and Park District for Ralston Recreation Park in 1960.
This reservoir lies in Water District #7 and was built by the City of Denver for their water supply. Construction began 1936.
That portion of Ralston Road running west from Wadsworth Boulevard was originally called Golden Road. When the road was cut east of Wadsworth to Lamar Street, it was called Ralston Road, and the portion west of Wadsworth was renamed Ralston Avenue. Later, the two segments were combined and known as Ralston Road. It was named Ralston Road because it parallels Ralston Creek, but it was also known as the “Creek Road.” Both the creek and the road were named for Louis Ralston. Very early it was the Ralston Creek Wagon Road, and it proved to be the safest and shortest route to the mines in Central City and Blackhawk. Today, Ralston Creek Wagon Road is hidden by Ralston Dam; only a faint trail can be seen west of the dam.
In 1880 this coal mine owned by John Nicholls and John A. Hoaeferned had sunk their shaft 100 feet.
In 1881, shaft was down 175 feet with levels at bottom extending north and south 500 feet. Workforce of 75 to 100 men produced daily 75 to 100 tons.
1880 production 22,500 tons of coal.
1883 shaft down to 275 feet; mine had been idle for the past two years. Operated by Paul Lanious has daily output of 40 tons.
1896 daily output is 125 tons produced by 85 men averaging two dollars per day in wages.
The first Ralston Station and stage stop was built in the early 1860s and located at 6970 Indiana Street on the Cheyenne stage line. Proprietor Spencer Fooshee maintained a lively full house in the early days. This stage stop was routed in the 1970s.
The next Ralston Station, also on the east side of North Table Mountain, was provided with rail road tracks to the Tindale, or Tyndale, Mine. This portion of Colorado Central was opened and incorporated in March, 1878 and was abandoned on 1880.
The Colorado Central Railroad moved the tracks from the east side of North Table Mountain to the west side. The process began on February 23, 1878 and was completed two days later.
Tramway tracks between Arvada and Leyden were in operation between 1903 and 1950. The line was built by the Denver Northwestern Railroad to haul coal from Leyden to Denver. This passenger station was probably named Ralston for the creek south of the tracks.
Ralston Valley Park was funded by developer escrow money and a grant from Land and Water Conservation Fund. The park consisted of 9.4 acres in blue grass, three bridges over Ralston Creek, a playground, a wooden deck, picnic area and a trail beside Ralston Creek.
from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004:
Ralston Wagon Road (1865)
This road ran from near the Murphy Coal Mines on Ralston Creek west toward Central City. Later, it provided access to the Glencoe Quarry and settlement of Glencoe, located where Ralston Reservoir is today.
Located in Water District # 7, it was named for Louis Ramboz who purchased it from Jim Baker in 1873. State Engineer’s Report show previous adjudication date of October 9, 1895. Claimants in 1936 were E. M. McIntyre, Roxie Archer, Tilda Johnson and Intercounty Realty Company.
Origin of name unknown.
origin of name unknown
This park has a basketball court, playground and open play area.
This feature was named in 2002 for Ernest Ramstetter (1891-1961) and his wife Gladys (1897-1988), longtime farmers and ranchers in the area. The 2.5 mile (4 km) stream starts in Ramstetter Reservoir, flows NE, then E along the N edge of North Table Mountain, where it enters an unnamed stream that flows into VanBibber Creek SW of Boyd Lake.
The visible scar on the western slope of the Dakota Hogback (aka Dinosaur Ridge) is the probably site of one of George Morrison’s original quarries (1873). It is identified on an 1877 drawing by Arthur Lakes simply as “Red Sandstone Quarry,” and is probably the source of red sandstone used in the Cliff House and other Morrison stone buildings built by George Morrison.
Name origin unknown.
Place name origin unknown.
Located in Water District # 7, the Reed Ditch had priority No. 14 (August 31, 1865). Claimant in 1884 was Asahel Haines with water diverted from the north bank of Ralston Creek. The ditch was abandoned for the City of Arvada, June 15, 1981. Asahel Haines owned lands in this area, and it is his cabin built in 1864, which was moved in 1977 to the museum area inside the Arvada Center.
Jefferson County School District #8 was organized in 1867 and was an elementary school housed in various buildings at 7101 West 38th Avenue. In 1924, a separate elementary building was constructed just west of the main building. District #8 built this facility at the time R-1 was being organized and was considered to be the “finest to be had.” It was named Reed Street Elementary and later renamed Stevens Elementary in tribute to Paul C. Stevens who had supervised its construction as Superintendent of Wheat Ridge District #8.
Wheat Ridge Reed Street Stadium was established in the 1940s by District #8. It was a natural grass field and had bleachers, a press box, a large score board and eventually restrooms and concession stand. The quality and increased number of the bleachers grew with time. When District #8 became part of R-1, this field became one of the major sites for R-1 athletic events. The facility was demolished in November 1993 and the site became part of the new Wheat Ridge Middle School-Stevens Elementary school campus.
Built by William Beckett, c. 1882. The frame house has a cross gabled roof with various shaped windows placed irregularly all around the house. There were various owners and renters throughout the years. The house was used by workers in the rock quarries, railroad, and construction jobs in the area. Joe Schrock, the son of Jonas Henry Schrock, and his wife Irma lived there when their child was born.
When the 1870 plat for Arvada was laid out, the portion from Wadsworth to Dover Street was called Railroad Avenue and later became Reno Drive. Louis A. Reno was the town father who drew up the 1890 plat of Arvada and had also done many fine things for the community. Reno Drive was named for him.
Reno Juchem Ditch is in Water District No. 7 and has various priorities from April 4, 1861, out of the north bank of Clear Creek. Claimant for adjudication in 1884 was Reno Juchem Ditch Co. State Engineer’s, “Water Rights Report” shows some water transferred in from Swadley Ditch and Juchem Quellette Ditch and some transferred to Farmers High Line. Reno and Juchem both were prominent developers of early Arvada.
Elbert R. Argersinger subdivided this land September 29, 1889. Area subdivided in home sites 25’X125′. Homes were built two sites and in some cases maybe more.
The subdivision was named for Louis Reno, a partner of B.F. Wadsworth. Elbert R. Argersinger subdivided the land October 1, 1890. A parcel of ground was subdivided int 48 sites in 4 blocks with each site being 25 feet by 125 feet. These are residential sites and most of the homes were built on 2 sites.
Elbert T. Argersinger subdivided this land April 25th, 1896. This ground was cut into small acreage sites and offered as small farms and home sites.
John Reno was the first member of the Reno family to come West. He joined the rush to the Colorado gold fields in 1858, and was among the group of miners who panned gold on Ralston Creek. John wrote letters to his family in Beaver County Pennsylvania. Eventually his father, Thomas Reno, and brother, Louis Alcorn Reno, journeyed to the Rockies. Louis homesteaded 40 acres of land west of Wadsworth Blvd. He drew up the Reno Plat and built for himself the largest house in Arvada in 1890.
It was established January 15,1880, and discontinued January 3,1881, when it became Vermillion Post Office.
Some of their members were involved in programs called “active” which participates in community services including Villa Manor Nursing Home and Fort Logan facilities
This includes a variety of trails, forested hills, streams, wildlife, picnic areas and campgrounds.
It’s 1,100 acres were acquired by Jefferson County Open Space May 28, 1975 for $525,000. Named for Jack Reynolds, ranch owner.
This c. 1889 1-1/2 story, wood frame, cross-gabled, 1,056 sq. ft. bungalow was built by Thomas P. Reynolds. Reynolds was one of the “second wave” of settlers who followed the initial “homesteading” families. Reynolds purchased 35 acres from the sons of William Henderson, whose pre-emption dates from the 1860s.
The Rhoads family lived here from 1937 to 1963. Captain Mark Rhoads started and operated the Arvada Community Cold Storage Locker Plant for several years. It was located at 1559 Wadsworth Blvd. north of the Arvada Electric building. In 1938, he provided another public service as Arvada’s cooperative weather observer. His reports were reported to the Denver Weather Bureau and to “The Arvada Enterprise.”
The house was built in c. 1905 by W. A. Rhoads. The house was built as a residential house but an add-on was built in order for it to become a business. It is currently the Golden Pet Shop.
Located in Water District No. 7, it had priority No. 33 (August 1, 1863). Its water was diverted from Clear Creek via north bank of Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was R. H. Rhodes. Reverend R. H. Rhodes was active in much of Arvada’s civil life. Rhodes Middle and South ditches appear on the c. 1900 map once used in the old Jefferson County courthouse.
Rhodes South Ditch was in District #7 and had priority #47 (7-5-1865). Water flowed out of Clear Creek via south bank of Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was R. H. Rhodes.
R.M. Rhodes subdivided this land January 22, 1891. This was also a gardening area with smaller acreage lots for homes and small farms.
Named for James W. Richards and Patrick Hart, this was entered on National Register of Historic Places in 1976. A unit of Wheat Ridge Parks system. James W. Richards, a ‘59er, built his “country residence” on 160 acres in 1870s. This early entrepreneur had varied business interests throughout the Colorado Territory. His widow sold the property to Jocelyn Manby in 1915. Patrick Hart bought it in 1926. in 1977 the City purchased the 4 acres for park-open space In 1981 restoration of the Victorian house was initiated under the guidance of a nine member “Task Force” and completed in 1985 including the landscaping of the grounds including a “cutting garden”, a Victorian rose bed, tree walk, and at 28th and Ames corner a playground unit for children. Listed on the National Register on September 15, 1977 (5JF.187).
This house was built in two sections, at least one of the sections was first built in 1892. The first owner was Elizabeth Richards. W.F. McCartney, an Edgewater real estate agent, owned the lot in 1900. Andrew Lindner purchased the house between 1910-1914.
Ridge was a popularly-used contraction for the name of Ridge Home.
310 acres originally 2 miles west of Arvada was selected by the State of Colorado after a bill creating a home and training school for the mentally disabled was approved by the legislature on May 5, 1909. The first building of what came to be known as Ridge Home was completed in 1910, and the fourth and last building of the original campus finished by 1936. The first inmate arrived in July 1912, and in 1939 its enrollment was 260 out of a capacity for 300 patients. The inmate population rarely fluctuated as inmates were committed for life; only transfer to the home of a relative, going to the Pueblo insane asylum, and death were the means of departure from this facility in early years. Among the original buildings were a school, and farm work was carried out by patients under supervision. Ridge Home was a stop on the tramway to Golden, and the efforts of Simon Guggenheim established its own separate post office.
Located on brow of “ridge” above Clear Creek. Excellent scenic view. Organized: January 15, 1961. Incorporated March 8, 1961. Building groundbreaking October 20, 1963. Completed January 1985. New auditorium dedicated October 6, 1974 – 400 seating. 25th anniversary 1986. 30th Anniversary 1991. Conservative.
Place name origin unknown
Latitude: 39.48417 : Longitude: -105.28028
Rio de Chato was the Spanish name given to the South Platte River which forms the southeastern border of Jefferson County. It was named by Juan de Zaldivar, who was commissioned by his uncle (Santa Fe founder Onate) in 1598 to take 50 cavaliers to explore the northeastern reaches of the lands claimed by New Spain. Rio de Chato means “flat” or “flattish” river, a meaning much the same as the permanent name French explorers would give it nearly 150 years afterward. The South Platte River was the only major river flowing from the mountains of northern Colorado matching such a description. It is very likely Zaldivar’s party were the first white people to see and set foot in Jefferson County.
A summer resort camp operating from 1922 to 1961 by the Hendrie & Bolthoff Manufacturing and Supply Co. of Denver for the use of employees. It closed as a summer resort in 1961 when the Gulf & Western Co. acquired it through diversifying. There was a stop on the Colorado & Southern Railroad with an open shelter station until 1937 when the railroad was discontinued.
This was a stop on the Colorado & Southern Railroad’s narrow gauge line until its discontinuance in 1937.
Riviere des Padoucas was a French name given to what is now the South Platte River, encompassing the Platte as a whole. It was named so on French maps of the 1700s showing its sources to be in the Padoucas’ country. Its name means “river of the Padoucas.” This name was in use until the Mallet expedition renamed the river in 1739.
This is the French name for what became known as the South Platte River. It was originally named by a party of eight Frenchmen led by the Mallet brothers, who were exploring the river in efforts to find a rumored passage to New Mexico and possibly to the Pacific Ocean. This expedition took place in 1739. Since that time, the river has become known by the Anglicized version of this name, which means “the flat river”, which had an appearance of being disproportionally wide as opposed to its depth to Spanish, French and American explorers.
The Road Master was a point of interest along the Colorado Central Railroad consisting of a rock formation standing guard over Clear Creek Canyon.
About 1.5 miles long. Drains region north of Douglas Mountain; opens on Guy Gulch. Accommodates Robinson Hill Road for about .6 mile. Named for a homesteader who settled west of gulch on flat in Elk Creek drainage.
Built c. 1885. Building: 1-story frame, o.d. approximately 24′ x 30′, shingle, 4-12 hip roof; 3 windows each on long side; white with green trim outside, light green inside; 1 entrance; large anteroom with coat hooks, shelf for lunch buckets, table and water bucket; 1 school room, big pot-bellied stove with brick chimney, double desks with little ink well in each corner. Outside: teeter-totter; 2 outhouses; coal shed and stable attached; flagpole. Also served as community center for Sunday school services, dances and meetings. Building now located at junction of Smith Hill and Douglas Mountain Roads and converted to private dwelling. Foundation is gone.
This private family plot was recorded as having its first burial in 1900 and the last in 1955. It is presently not being used, but is maintained.
This creek probably got its name from the very stoney topography through which it flows.
In 1865, the Rock Flour Mill was located on Clear Creek. The large brick Italianate architecture was the original home of David Barnes, Sr. who built it and the Golden Mill. He operated it until he sold the mill in 1878. The Perry Brothers, William and Ira, bought it in the 1900s. The Rock Flour Mill still stands near Water and Ford Streets. The Italianate style was so popular in the 1850s and 1860s, characterized by a low-pitch hipped and wide overhanging brackets for support and decoration. One of three mills built in Golden, now the “Stone Mill Building.”
Established in 1880, the cemetery is located behind and to the north of the Rockland Church (old). Approximately 100 local residents are interred here. Katherine L. Craig’s grave marker is a large boulder with a metal plaque inscribed: April 7, 1862 to April 1, 1934 Authoress and educator Served the State of Colorado as superintendent of public instruction for ten years. In the hearts of many pupils She planted tender shoots; Then watched and kindly tended And guarded well the roots. Her labor was rewarded When each fair young spreading tree Was all glorified in autumn With fruit abundantly.
Built in 1960 on land donated by the Ralston family, the Rockland Community Church, which is a member of the United Church of Christ. Two additions in 1970 and 1990 expanded the church to more than 25,000 square feet. A full time day-care service is offered at the church. The congregation has grown the 1200. The congregation seats faced west and a floor to ceiling glass wall behind the pulpit provides an extraordinary view of the Continental Divide. Over 250 weddings are performed annually because of the view. Norman, Merle, and Strode Ralston donated time and talent to help build the minister’s home adjacent to the church on Clear View Drive in the early 1960s. The residence was expanded and renovated 1996. Church members still cut an annual Christmas tree from Norman Ralston’s land.
In 1878, Henry Childs donated a site for a church and a cemetery. It was dedicated and given the name of Rocky Mountain Mission of United Brethren Church in Christ on January 18, 1879, with the understanding that its “gates shall stand ajar for any other religious denomination to worship within.” The wood frame building was completed for $250 in 1880 by contractor Joseph Gorman, and renovated in 1939. The first church leaders were Abraham Hartzell and Abraham Hess. A framed picture of Jesus Christ as a young man hung in the back of an oak podium. In 1960, a new church, Rockland Community Church, was built on South Mount Vernon Country Club Road, but the old church is still used for funeral services, receptions, and weddings. The Church and Cemetery were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2009.
This white frame school was built previous to 1921 about a mile or less west of the old Rockland Church, alongside the Stage Road. It was abandoned in 1936, and no longer exists, when the second Rockland School was built of block just above the church and beside Highway 40. That building has been used as a grange and community hall since 1954 when Ralston School was constructed. Name from the area.
This “modern” two classroom school with indoor toilets and a kitchen was built in 1939 on land donated by the Hess family. It had electricity, a furnace and a driveway and parking lot for autos. The post-war boom caused the enrollment to increase to over 100 by 1950. A bond election approved a new school to be built on land donated by Mt. Vernon Country Club. The Rockland building served the community until 1955 when the Ralston Elementary School was dedicated.
Rocky Flats represents a high-level pediment which is being slowly dissected by erosional processes. The deposit is fanned shaped with its apex near the mouth of Coal Creek Canyon and ranges in thickness from one to fifty feet as it overlies and transects bedrock of Pierre Shale, Fox Hills sandstone, and the Laramie Formation. Boulders up to two feet in diameter occur near the foothills, grading out to pebbles, cobbles, and sand lenses occurring along the eastern edge. Formed during pre- Wisconsin time, Rocky Flats is similar to smaller gravel-capped bedrock erosion surfaces that are common along the South Platte and Arkansas River drainages near the foothills. Rocky Flats Plant added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 19, 1997 (5JF.1227).
Designed by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, and built by the Olson Construction Co. of Denver in 1953, this two-story plus basement, rectangular, 43,900 sq. ft. building with an east-west ell, housed general administration staff, graphic, photography, and printing. The structure has a concrete foundation and concrete, concrete block and transite walls. Its windows are industrial, metal sash, fixed, with four horizontal munitons. The addition at the west end of the east-west wing is flat roofed, concrete with no windows. Originally all employees checked into the plant in the clock room of this building, standing in line according to badge number.
Built in 1959, this one-story, 72 sq. ft., flat metal roofed structure was the bus stop shelter. It is a small rectangular building of concrete block on a slab foundation. On the east and west sides, the windows are fixed, multi-paned, metal sash. The south and north side have double hung, metal sash windows, and wooden doors with a window. For security reasons, privately owned vehicles were not allowed on-site during the 1950s. This shelter provided workers a place to wait for the bus.
Designed by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, and built by Mellwin Construction of Denver in 1953, this one-story, 9,280 sq. ft., flat roofed building housed the cafeteria and telecommunications offices. It is rectangular in shape and its exterior walls are concrete on a reinforced concrete foundation. There are multi-paned metal sash windows on all sides.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this 4,250 sq. ft. building housed the water treatment plant. The building has a two-story rectangular main block with a one-story, cross-gabled wing to the west. The building has a concrete foundation and walls with shallow-pitched gable roofs.
This one-story, 12,840 sq. ft. building built in 1965, housed a standards lab used in calibration of sensitive instruments. It is rectangular and has corrugated metal walls on a poured concrete foundation. Windows, on the east side only, are fixed, multi-paned, with metal sash. The metal roof is a medium-pitched roof.
This one-story, 448 sq. ft. building was constructed in 1968 to house the source standards lab to calibrate thermoluminescent dosimeters. It is a small, flat-roofed, rectangular building with concrete walls and a concrete foundation. There are no windows in the building, except for a small window in the metal door on the south side.
Designed by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, and built by Olson Construction of Denver in 1953, this two-story, 6530 sq. ft., flat roofed building was used for cleaning and repairing of firearms, inspection and testing. It is an irregular shaped building made of concrete and concrete block on a poured concrete foundation. The few windows are fixed metal sash and double paned. Rocky Flats Plant, as a top-secret defense installation, required a strong security force. This plant protection building was used for gun operations by their security force.
Designed by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, and built by Olson Construction of Denver in 1953, this one-story 9,120 sq. ft. building housed the emergency medical services – personal decontamination and offices. It is an irregularly shaped building made of concrete and concrete block on a concrete foundation. The south side has fixed, single paned, metal sash windows, and the east side has fixed metal sash windows with two horizontal muntins. The roof is flat and the east entrance has a metal flat roof overhang.
Designed by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, and built in 1953, this one-story, 18,980 sq. ft. building housed the health physics analysis laboratory. The flat roofed building is “U” shaped and made of concrete block on a poured concrete foundation. The recessed industrial, multi-pane, metal sash windows are arranged in sets of four.
Designed by the Austin Co., Cleveland, Ohio, and built by Mellwin Construction of Denver in 1953, this three-story, 23,448 sq. ft. building was used as the garage and fire station-vehicle maintenance and facilities for cleaning fire equipment. It is flat roofed “L” shaped structure made of reinforced concrete, with the exception of the eastern portion that is made of concrete block, and rests on a poured concrete foundation.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this one-story, 2,960 sq. ft., rectangular-shaped building has concrete and concrete block exterior walls on a concrete foundation. Its use was as the plant’s paint shop.
Designed by the Austin, Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, this two-story, 39,940 sq. ft. building was built in 1953. The building is rectangular with a wing to the west. The main block is concrete with industrial, multi-paned, metal sash windows, arranged in sets of three. The window panes are either painted or covered with metal. The central section of the flat roof rises to form a monitor. An office wing to the west was added in 1984 and was constructed of concrete block and has fixed single-pane windows in metal sash. One of the plant’s original buildings, it was used as general maintenance and offices – electrical shop, machine shop, carpentry shop, sheet metal shop, pipe and welding shop.
Built by Frank Briscoe in 1981, this four-story ( two underground), 186,000 sq. ft. building housed the recovery and refining of plutonium metal and americium oxide laboratory. It is a rectangular building with windowless reinforced concrete walls on a reinforced concrete foundation. The reinforced concrete roof is flat and a one-story wing along the south side contains fixed single pane windows and an entrance ell. Building #371 was built to assume the operations from Building #776/777 to remove plutonium from residues and convert it into high-purity metal. It was operated on a pilot scale until 1983 when serious design and construction deficiencies were identified, hindering full-scale operations. These deficiencies were never fixed and recovery operations were terminated in 1986. In 1988, the pyrochemical processes also ceased.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this one-story, 17,690 sq. ft. building was used for administrative offices. The structure is a flat-roofed, rectangular building with a wing to the south. It is constructed of concrete and concrete block on a concrete foundation. The windows are industrial, fixed, multi-paned, metal sash. On the north side the top two rows of panes have been covered with insulation.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this one-story, 2,484, sq. ft. building was used as the laundry for contaminated clothing from Building #444. Its current use is as a filter test lab and storage for HEPA filter and respirator cartridges. It is rectangular with a wing to the west and sits on a poured concrete foundation. The windowless main block has corrugated metal walls and a gable roof. The west wing is constructed of concrete and has a flat roof. The industrial windows are multi-pane metal sash, arranged in sets of three. The west, south, and north walls have two window sets, while the east wall has one.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this 18,606 sq.ft. building was used as a steam generation plant. It is an irregular-shaped, two-story structure with a concrete foundation and walls clad in metal panels. A one-story, concrete flat-roofed ell extends from the west side. The industrial windows are multi-paned set in metal sash and the flat roof has four chimney stacks. The steam produced was for plant-wide use.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland , Ohio, in 1953, this three- and two-story, 178,340 sq. ft. building was used for primary non-nuclear production (depleted uranium and beryllium) – foundry, machining and welding. It is an irregular shaped building with concrete exterior walls on a concrete foundation. There is an attached shed to the north side with a shed roof. In 1953, operations began and its highly sophisticated metal fabrication and machine shop was capable of producing parts to extremely close tolerances. In 1958, beryllium operations were added. In 1970, several fires involving depleted uranium occurred. In 1981, production plating operations began. In 1987, titanium stripping operations started. In 1989, the uranium foundry was shut down. A 1990 fire in the coating room resulted in the shut down of the plating lab. Between 1992 and 1994 operations ceased.
This one-story, plus mezzanine, 230,000 sq. ft. building was constructed in 1984 and housed the general fabrication, metal and machine shop for non-plutonium pit components, primarily stainless steel. It is “L” shaped, and is constructed of a steel frame with corrugated metal walls on a poured concrete foundation. The shallow pitch roof is metal and the metal doors have shed roof porches. There are round metal exhaust fans along the exterior walls of the building. The fixed, single-pane windows are only on the mezzanine level, except on the east end of the south wall, where there are windows on the ground level as well. In 1984, this building also assumed stainless steel operations from Building #881. The first tool-made samples were producing in May 1985. At the time, the structure was described as the most modern non-nuclear manufacturing building in the weapons complex.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this two-story, flat-roofed, 45,340 sq. ft. building was used as a warehouse and fabrication shop for metal cleaning, welding, cutting, and threading. The building is “L”-shaped with concrete exterior walls on a poured concrete foundation. The wing on the east side is of concrete block. In 1962, Building #556 was added to the east side of the structure. Building #556 is a small rectangular metal building on a concrete foundation.
Designed by Bernard Johnson Engineers, Inc. of Houston, Texas, and built by R.W. Mier Construction Co. of Golden, Colorado, in 1967, this one-story, 32,890 sq. ft. building housed the Chemical Analytical Lab to support plutonium production. It is a rectangular building with a flat-roofed, one-story ell running the length of the building’s north side. Small wings extend form the northeast and southwest sides. In November 1989, operations ceased.
This one-story, 5,177 sq. ft. building was built in 1962 and housed the research and development facility to design, build, and evaluate bench scale and pilot scale waste treatment processes. It is a small rectangular building with concrete block walls and a metal gabled roof on a reinforced concrete foundation.
Designed by C.F. Braun & Co. of Alhambra, California, and built by Swinerton & Walberg of San Francisco in 1970, this two-story, 93,800 sq. ft. building housed plutonium manufacturing and plutonium storage. It is “L” shaped with two one-story ells extending from the east side. The exterior walls are precast concrete panels on a reinforced concrete foundation with a flat roof and no windows in the building. The main floor is divided into eight modules for specific manufacturing processes. Construction began in 1967, and was completed in 1970, with plutonium operations beginning on May 20, 1970. In 1969, construction had been accelerated following the fire in Building #776/777 and to accommodate the Part V weapons design. Building #707 was the only facility in the weapons complex that was capable of producing pit assemblies for the United States nuclear weapons stockpile. In 1989, all operations involving radioactive materials ceased.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this structure is an irregular shaped concrete building with a flat roof. The major portion is one story, with a two-story windowless wing extending south. One of the original buildings at the site, this was the first liquid waste treatment facility. In 1966, an evaporator was added. By 1970, the plant had grown too fast and more waste treatment capacity was needed, so Building #374 was built.
Built by Catalytic Construction Co. of Philadelphia in 1956, this 2 + 2 subfloors, 223,000 sq. ft. building was used for plutonium fabrication and assembly. It is an irregular-shaped structure constructed of reinforced concrete on a reinforced concrete foundation. The roof is flat, the doors are metal, and there are no windows. In 1957, operations began, with the first significant machinings of plutonium beginning in 1958. In 1961, the concrete wall between Buildings #776 and #779 was removed to accommodate new equipment. In 1964, the “Cambell Incident” occurred – an explosion between plutonium and carbon tetrachloride, resulting in the research and development of the interaction of plutonium and a variety of solvents. In 1965, a Glovebox drain line fire due to the spontaneous combustion of plutonium chips resulted in contaminating the building. In 1966, Glovebox 134-24 was modified to increase storage. In 1967, Part V expansion caused equipment to be re-arranged and added in the foundry. In 1968, additional shielding was added to the gloveboxes. On May 11, 1969, there was a major fire and afterwards, sprinklers and firewalls were added. On October 18, 1971, clean up from the fire and contamination was completed. Plutonium fabrication operations were transferred to Building #707. Building #776 was converted to waste storage and size reduction. Operations ceased in 1989.
Built in 1957, this one-story, 31,200 sq. ft. building housed showers, locker room, sanitary facilities, and laundry for protective clothing and respirators throughout the Protected area, also electric shop, machine shop, sheet metal shop, and inert gas storage. It is a large rectangular building connected to Building #776/777 and Building #707 by corridors. The metal gable roofed building has a reinforced concrete slab foundation with corrugated metal and concrete block exterior walls. Building #778 is traversed by an overhead sealed chainveyor to transport radioactive contaminated material. The air pressure in the conveyor is less than that of the building to prevent leaks into the building.
This 2-story, 67,710 sq. ft. building constructed in 1965 was used for research and development to support plutonium production and recovery processes. It is irregular-shaped, flat-roofed building on concrete footings. A one-story metal sided ell extends to the north. The doors are steel with safety glass and the windows, on the the south wall, are single panes in metal sash. There is a duct bridge connecting to Building #729 on the second floor on the south side and a second floor passage to Building #777 on the west side. In 1968, Building addition #779A was constructed and in 1973 addition #779B was constructed. In 1988, the building underwent a structural upgrade to add resistance to prevent damage from earthquake and high winds. Curtailment of plutonium processing was in 1989.
Designed by C.F. Braun & Co. of Alhambra, California, and built by Swinerton & Walberg Co. of San Francisco, California, in 1972, this one-story, 37,980 sq.ft. building was used as a materials processing development lab. The structure is a rectangular main block of ribbed concrete with a rectangular ell to the north with flat roofs. A C-shaped pre-fabricated building is attached to the east side. The few windows in the high bay are industrial multi-paned windows in metal sash and the ell contains 8 single-paned fixed windows in metal sash on the north side. The laboratory researched and developed materials and processing operations including metal rolling, shearing, forging, and extruding.
This three-story, 245,160 sq. ft. building built in 1952, was used in the processing and machining of enriched uranium into finished weapons components, central computing, standards lab, and record storage. It is an irregular shaped structure built into a berm. The building is underground with the exception of Building #881F, a gable-roofed portion that rises two stories. The exterior walls are reinforced concrete, as well as the foundation. The flat roof is flush with the finished grade along the north and most of the east and west walls. In April 1952, operations began and enriched uranium operations began in June 1953. Originally used to fabricate enriched uranium. At this time the United States had a duality policy for weapons production. Enriched uranium part was also being manufactured at Oak Ridge Y-12. It was the fourth building to come on line at the Rocky Flats Plant. In 1955, an “L” shaped annex to the northwest corner was added for a machining facility (IV Expansion). From 1964 to 1966 enriched uranium operations were consolidated to Y-12 as the U.S.’s policy changed to a single mission – plutonium production became the focus of operations at Rocky Flats. From 1966 to 1984, precision stainless steel parts were manufactured in this building. In 1984, stainless steel operations moved to Building #460, and research and development, analytical support, administration, and computer facilities expanded.
Built in 1956, this flat-roofed, two-story plus partial basement, 52,350 sq. ft. building was used for rolling and forming uranium parts for weapons operations. It is a rectangular structure with reinforced concrete walls on a concrete foundation. A one-story ell runs the length of the building on the east side. The building is divided into three production areas: Side A – rolling and forming; Side B – rolling and forming; Side C – armor plate production. In February 1957, operations began. The same year the structure were part of the IV plant expansion – fabrication of enriched and depleted uranium parts used in weapons design. The sealed hollow shape of the component in the new weapons design required significant amounts of rolling and forming with space in Buildings #881 and #444 limited. Additional storage and manufacturing space was added to Building #883. In 1964, the enriched uranium operations moved to Oak Ridge. Another addition in 1968 provided plenum, storage and fabrication space. In 1972, a valve room was added. From 1983 to 1985 an addition was constructed for support manufacturing of armor plates for MIA tanks. In 1989, all operations ceased.
Built in 1964, this 900 sq. ft. building was part of the east gate guard facilities. It is a small concrete building with a flat-roof and multi-paned windows in metal sash.
Built in 1986, this 560 sq. ft. building was part of the east gate guard facilities. It is a small concrete building with a flat-roof and large windows fixed with single panes in metal sash. There is a overhang roof connecting booths for automobile access badge check.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1952, this 40,780 sq. ft. building housed the final assembly of weapons components, testing, and inspection. It is a rectangular concrete building set on a concrete foundation. Two wings extend from the east and west sides. The vaults are constructed of reinforced concrete up to 30″ thick, and are completely underground. In 1952, vaults #998, #997, and #996 were constructed. Operations began in 1952 with the first production shipped in 1953. Vault #999 was constructed in 1956. It is the only building at the Rocky Flats Plant that is capable of handling off-site shipments of Special Nuclear Materials. In 1957, production began on the new Part IV weapons design, so the pit assembly was moved to Building #777 from this building. After 1957, Building #991 became used increasingly for shipping, receiving and storage.
Designed and built by the Austin Co. of Cleveland, Ohio, in 1953, this one-story with a basement, 1,206 sq. ft. building is rectangular with two small west wings. The flat-roofed building is concrete on a concrete foundation and was used for waste water treatment for low-level waste.
This collection of small buildings were the west gate and west plant guard facilities. The 430 sq. ft. Building #100 was constructed in 1969, the 560 sq. ft. Building #120 was constructed in 1985, the 112 sq. ft. Building 133 was constructed in 1986, and the 324 sq. ft. Building #113 was constructed in 1988. The guard buildings are all small rectangular buildings. Building #100 is concrete block with fixed metal sash, multi-pane windows, and a flat roof. Building #120 is of concrete and has large single paned, metal sash, fixed windows. It has an extending roof with booths for badge checks of automobiles. Building #133 and #113 are metal with fixed single paned windows. Building #133 has a sliding metal and glass door for a badge check for automobiles. This group of guard buildings checked traffic entering from the west side of the plant. Building #100 (1966) at Gate 8 controlled access to the original site. As security tightened in the 1980s, three more guard facilities were added: Building #120 (1985) at the outer entrance to the buffer zone; Building #133 (1986) in the west parking lot for Building #130; Building #113 (1988) at the west end of Central Avenue at the parking lot for Buildings #111, #112, and #115.
The guard towers and guard post, as well as a double perimeter fence with closed circuit television and alarms, were installed in 1983 as part of a $5 million Perimeter Security Zone (PSZ) to protect the plutonium operations buildings from potential terrorist attack. The access control buildings were added to the security area, now known as the Protected Area (PA), in 1989. The three guard towers (375, 550, 761, 901) are concrete, 338 sq. ft., three-story buildings with flat roofs. There are single pane, metal sash, fixed windows on each side of the third story. The access control (372A, 762A, 792A) vary from 1820 sq. ft. to 1855 sq. ft. and are rectangular, flat roofed, concrete buildings on a concrete foundation. The windows are large, single pane, and fixed with metal sash. Guard posts (372, 962, 792) vary from 285 sq. ft. to 360 sq. ft. and are small, concrete buildings with flat roofs. The windows are fixed, single pane with metal sash.
These structures were guard houses for individual buildings. They are small, one room, concrete, one-story buildings with a flat or shed roof. The windows are large, single-pane fixed with metal sash. The buildings were of varying square footage and dates of construction: 1951- Building #992; 1952 – Buildings #446, 773, 864; 1964 – Building #888; 1968 – Building #557; 1985 – Building #461.
These two buildings were the east guard facilities for site access control. Building #900 was built in 1964 and is a one-story, 320 sq. ft., small concrete structure with a flat roof. The multi-paned windows are in metal sash. Building #920 was built in 1986 and is a one-story, flat-roofed, 560 sq. ft. structure. The large windows are fixed, single panes in metal sash. There is a overhang roof connecting the booths for automobile access security badge check.
This Water District #7 reservoir lies on the Rocky Flats property.
The church was organized with the name Edgewater Church of God, September 6, 1970, after a split from the main church at 5th and Fox. The congregation first met at the Lumberg School in 1970, then moved to the Masonic Temple. May 1971, they moved into a new structure on the corner of 22nd and Pierce. The name was changed in 1989 to the Rocky Mountain Church of God, as they had outgrown the building and moved to their present location in April 1991. This building was formerly occupied by The Believers Church, now called the New Hope Ministries.
1889 this coal mine’s 20-foot by 26-foot shaft is down 60 feet.
Located at Clear Creek Valley Baptist.
Located in Water District #7, the Rocky Mountain Ditch is filled with water diverted from the south bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were the Rocky Mountain Water Company. The ditch flows southeast, one branch to Sloan Lake, priority No. 19 (May 1, 1862), No. 38 (May 21, 1864), No. 41 (March 31, 1865), No. 58 (March 15, 1873), No. 64 (March 16, 1878).
Built in 1911, a frame two-story house.
Built circa 1928. Historic fox and mink ranch, includes dwelling, stone entry arch, and outbuildings, total 0.986 acres. Designated a county landmark 9/8/2003.
Rooney Gulch was named after Alexander Rooney, a gold seeker who, in 1860, claimed land in the area that today is known as Rooney Ranch. The gulch originates in a pond in the valley between the Hogback (Dinosaur Ridge) to the west and Green Mountain to the east.
It was one of the largest and one of the first ranches in the Jefferson Territory. The stone house built in 1860 is one of the oldest buildings in Jefferson County still in use and retained by the same family. The first Galloway cattle were brought in from Scotland and raised on the ranch until 1971. Coal mining operations took place on the ranch in the early 1900s.
The original ranch was 4480 acres, running from the hogback on the west to the South Platte River in Denver on the east, south to Bear Creek and north to Table Mountain in Golden. The Silver Panic of 1893 forced the sale of much of the property. Presently, 1380 acres remain in the Rooney family ownership. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF196) on February 13, 1975. As of 2010 this was one of five Centennial Farms in Jefferson County, the others being the Baughman, Wise, Schnell, and Church ranches and farms.
Rooney Ranch Elementary School opened in September, 1994.
Located in the Foothills Coal Field, this coal mine was established in 1893 by the White Ash Coal Company. In 1910 it became the Rooney White Ash Coal Company and operated 1910-13 and 1914-15. Mined from a coal steam 7′-15′ total tonnage extracted was 3072 in 1910-13 and 771 in 1914-15.
Roscoe was a gold mining camp in Clear Creek Canyon a few miles above Golden, which conducted sluice mining there in the 1890s. During the 1930s, dredge mining began at this site.
The church started in the Rose Acres Mansion the year of 1953 and was named the Truett Baptist Church for the Reverend George Truett. The present sanctuary was constructed in 1959. The church is a home mission board church supported by the Southern Baptist Commission: August 27, 1989.
The Reverend Phil Sallee, assistant pastor at Riverside Baptist (Denver), became the minister at Truett and it was in 1989 that the church name change was effective. It is now Rose Acres Baptist Church.
Upon entering the large manor gates on W. 26th Avenue, visitors came into a 37-1/2 acre estate and a wonderland of gardens. The farmland where wild choke cherries had grown was converted by owner Loius Liebhart into a fairyland of formal Japanese gardens along with special gardens for rare specimens of roses, phlox, and giant peonies. There were rock paths, bridges, pagodas, and lily ponds overhung with weeping willows and flowering shrubs. Louis Liebhart had built a four-story brick mansion and three tenant cottages. Once a week the gardens were opened for enjoyment by the public. Otherwise, formal engraved invitations admitted guests to the grounds. For almost half a century it was Jefferson County’s number one sightseeing attraction. The estate appeared in several magazines and newspapers including the National Geographic.
The Cherrelyn horse car, from Englewood, stood for years on the porch at 26th Avenue. After the death of the heirs, the estate was sold to a group of businessmen with plans to subdivide the estate. The name Rose Acres lives on only in the subdivision (see subdivision) and in the name of Rose Acres Baptist Church.
After Mr. Leibhart’s death, Rose Acres was sold on October 21,1951 for over $100,000 to Denver meat packers Sam and Morris Sigman. Later the Sigmans subdivided the land for two hundred new homes. Truett Memorial Church Purchased the land where the tenant cottages and mansion stood. The mansion was transformed into the church offices. Later the congregation voted to change the name to “Rose Acres Baptist Church.”
Met in Pastors home in Arvada 51st & Harlan. Changed name to Wheat Ridge assembly of God when it moved to Wheat Ridge. At this address 1991 – “Pentecostal Church of the Cross”.
Platted in 1947 by Edward and Burnette Stanfield. Name Source Unknown
The Rosen Ranch was first established in the early 1850s when Swedish immigrant Peter Rosen, traveling by ox team, arrived here after crossing the plains. His wife became ill at Pueblo, necessitating Rosen to travel northward in search of a livable ranch affording protection from possible Indian attack. At the summit of Crow Hill he surveyed 600 acres of virgin timber with crude, homemade instruments. When the government subsequently surveyed the property they found his measurements to be exactly correct. After Peter’s death son John Peter Rosen took over the ranch. A recluse residing alone throughout his life, John kept 100 head of cattle, made his own clothing, ranch outfits, and tools. In 1925 C.F. Oehlmann purchased the ranch from John (then 60 years old), and discovered “crude but practical” jigsaws, treadmills, many varieties of stone and metal tools, and a threshing machine. It is possible Rosen’s items may now belong to the Colorado Historical Society or Denver Museum of Natural History.
Built ca. 1878. It was a restaurant and a passenger pickup for the stage coach going further into the mountains. John Ross used it as a home after his burned.
Built in 1917, a one-story frame house.
The Rubey National Bank was built in 1873 and was renovated in 1901. The store front was called the handsomest building in town. The bank was owned by Jesse W. Rubey. Jesse W. Rubey was also a two-term Golden mayor.
When one of the neighbors proposed putting the street through, the owner of the property involved objected. But he finally approved of the street if it would be named for his daughter Ruby. This then became Jay Street.
This c. 1910 ranch complex was built by Judge Rucker. The main house has a bay window and a second dwelling was constructed in 1930. There were corrals and three storage sheds with a bell on one.
William Green Russell and his gold seeking party from Georgia arrived on Ralston Creek on June 25, 1858. Accompanying Russell was Lewis Ralston, who had found some flecks of gold in the creek on his way to the California gold fields in 1850. Minor traces were found and the following year major gold mining activity was along Gregory Gulch in the Central City area.
This Cottage School was dedicated September 22, 1955.
This Jefferson County District R-1 School was named for Arvada`s first mayor, Dr. Richard Russell (1865-1934). He had served eight terms as mayor between 1904-1923; was president of the Arvada District No. 2 School Board for several years. He also helped the Town of Westminster incorporate in 1911 and was the first mayor of that town from 1911-1913. Russell School was dedicated and named for him in 1953.
The Russell/Foster House was built the same year that the Clear Creek Valley Grange was built, in 1874. Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth, first owner of the property, sold it to Lizzie Smith in 1881, when Wadsworth built his brick home at Grandview and Upham St. Lizzie (Smith) Wingrove sold the site to Effie Hallock, wife of Dr. Harry T. Hallock, in 1896. By 1902, it changed hands again when Mrs. Hallock sold it to Estelle Russell, wife of Dr. Richard Russell, who became Arvada’s first mayor in 1904. Mrs. Russell sold it to Hortense B. Foster, wife of Dr. Edwin Lincoln Foster who resided there until their deaths in 1960. In its early years, the house had been burned, and the structure indicates that the house had been added onto an earlier dwelling.
The Russell/Graves house was built in 1899, probably by Mr. Nicholls, Arvada Lumber Mill owner. It is a transitional style home, combining late Victorian period with the bungalow architecture. Estelle Russell, wife of Dr. Richard Russell, purchased the house in 1916. Dr. Richard Russell was elected first mayor of Arvada, serving 1904-1905, 1908-1909, and 1917-1923. This house was sold to Charles W. Graves in 1923. The Graves sold it to George Wendt, a pharmacist, 1943-1960. Ivan and Sally Gunderman purchased it in 1980 and placed it on the National Register of Historic Places, May 9, 1983 (5JF283).