This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
Prior to the revision of Jefferson County street names in 1949, Tabor Street was named Lees Lane for the David Lee Family who built a home there. Lees Station on the Leyden and Golden Tramway ticket was also named for David Lee who gave the right-of-way for the station. The current name for this thoroughfare is Tabor Street, named for Horace Tabor, Lieutenant Governor of Colorado from 1879 to 1883.
The c. 1880 Tallman Ranch represents part of the exploration and settlement of the area now encompassing western Jefferson and eastern Gilpin Counties. The property is associated with the area’s heavy concentration of Swedish-American settlers who established homesteads and developed a successful ranching community. Added to the State Register of Historic Places on June 14, 1995 (5JF.999).
When telephone service came to Lakewood in 1909, the first battery operated switchboard was located at the rear of the Kummer family’s store, which stood in the middle of what is now Carr Street, a few feet north of West Colfax Ave. Miss Eva Williams was one of the earliest operators and took over management of the place when another original operator, Lillian Phillips, left her post one night to get married, creating an emergency situation. As the population grew the telephone service moved to the Kummer residence on the north side of Colfax, west of Carr Street. Mary Bruce More and Elsa Bruce Banning alternated shifts and through the years the sisters and nieces of Eva Williams all went into the telephone office. They included Lettie, Mbel and later Ivey and Ella Williams.
The telephone company moved in 1926 to its West Colfax Avenue-Wadsworth Blvd. Location. A new building since has replaced the 1926 structure. Dial service came to the community at midnight, April 21,1951.
Early Lakewood telephone numbers were unusual; some were simply Lakewood 1, or 2, etc. Later the various exchanges such as Belmont, Westwood, and Walnut were started. When the third prefix number that we have today was added, the exchange names were forgotten.
The Tennis Center was the result of a successful bond election in 1974. The City built the Center because tennis was a desireable sport at this time. It was completed in 1975 and is programmed by North Jeffco Metropolitan Recreation and Park District. It is located along Ralston Creek Greenbelt for good pedestrian access.
Tennyson Knolls is located west of Tennyson Street, north of the trail. Arvada City Park Department constructed a storm drainage system in this area, in 1977. Tennis courts, playground, picnic tables, and a multi-purpose pad were located on the knoll: hence the name Tennyson Knolls.
Terrace Park consisted of 9.7 acres and two irrigation ditches, Bluff and Wadsworth, whose rights were owned by North Jeffco. The Arvada Jaycees under their chairman Jerry Linder constructed the playground and officially presented the play area, horse shoe courts, four bridges, picnic facilities, drinking fountain, rest area to George Price, Jr., Supt. of North Jeffco Park and Recreation district in 1964. Hard work and proceeds from the sale of the record “Chicken Fat” were used by the Jaycess to finance the project. The park topography is on two levels, thus giving the area the name “Terrace Park.” As a result of the North Jeffco $396,000 Bond Issue, Open Space Grant assistance, and agreement, October 9, 1967, by and between the State of Colorado for use and benefit of Game, Fish and Park Commission, Harold Carver architect, was to draw plans for further renovation of the park completed in 1969. Federal assistance for Block Grants to the City of Arvada with matching funds from Open Space in 1978, 1982 and 1983 were used to redevelop Terrace Park. This is the only Park in the Arvada area that fits the Federal criteria for Block Grant Funds, i,e., low income, deteriorating neighborhoods, and/or help to minorities or the handicapped.
This land, located between 20th Avenue and Colfax was originally available through a military warrant to Miguela Torres, widow of Sabastian Torres, her allotted property was turned over to a Matthew Cartwright, probably a land speculator. Cartwritght had already sold the 160 acres widow Torres could have claimed before he even had the official papers in hand. Civil War veteran, George Yule paid $500.00 for the acreage in 1865. Yule sold his 160 acres to James (Harvey) Robb for $1,000.000. Robb kept this land for 17 years. Robb sold to George G. Peabody in April 1887, for $17,000.000. A farmer, Peabody owned other land in Lakewood as well as in Littleton. The next two owners had spotty financial records. George Quinby bought 80 acres of the original 160 in 1910, but was almost immediately in trouble due to mortgage defaults, tax problems, and property liens. His holdings were transferred in May 1916 to B.J. Pedergast. This man became delinquent in paying his $200-per year taxes; lawsuits filed over this acreage reached the Colorado Supreme Court where they languished until 1927. By that time Creighton was busily promoting and selling his planned subdivision. Despite the lawsuits, Pendergast’s agent already had been making offers to Cyrus Creighton in 1919. The sale of 80 acres for $32,000 was finalized in January 1920.
1879 owned by James M. Thomas and Evan Jones. Property comprises 160 acres of land. The vein is eight feet wide and trends northwest and southeast. The mine is developed by two entries, aggregating 175 feet in length and a shaft 8 feet in width by 14 feet in length and 178 feet deep. On the surface is a shaft house 24 feet by 32 feet, containing a 35 horsepower engine and hoisting apparatus.
C. 1900 one-story, 400 sq. ft. house.
This District R-1 School was named for Marjorie (Kratz) Thomson, English and Language Arts teacher at Arvada High School (1933-1955). Thomson School was built in 1973.
This 9.43-acre park was funded by the 1974 Bond Referendum. It includes tennis courts, two ball fields and playgrounds. Thundercloud Park was dedicated in 1975, it is not known why it was so named.
Name focus on clock centered in facade of building complex. This center has been a prime commercial development of the city and Chamber of Commerce . It is the site of First Bank of Wheat Ridge, the fifth location of the Wheat Ridge Post Office, super markets and drug stores, fast food outlets and assorted smaller shops and businesses.
Tindale Mine was incorporated in 1891, on the west side of North Table Mountain. This was a small coal mining community. Tindale Post Office operated from 1891-1893, at approximately 72nd Avenue and Quaker Street. Electrically operated cars were replacing steam engines and the Denver Lakewood Golden Railroad Company Power Plant used coal from Tindale. After a flood washed out the railroad tracks, in 1896, the railroad failed financially and was sold in 1904 to the Denver and Inter- Mountain Railway Company.
The Post Office was located near Tindale Coal Mine and served the miners working there. This was an early short-term Post Office which existed from Nov. 2, 1891 until Feb. 6, 1893. Samuel Ashmore was commissioned Postmaster during this time.
Among the smallest streets in Golden’s history, the meaning of the name of Tiny Street is obvious. It was platted with Bush & Fisher’s Addition. It has never been formally renamed, though most later maps shows it to be known as 9th Street.
This is an elaborate miniature city built on the banks of Turkey Creek in 1915 and named Tiny Town by George E. Turner. He constructed the small structures of only three feet in height. A resort village grew up around the small scale community and retained the name Tiny Town.
John Tobias came to Denver in 1871 and at first, did carpentry work and was a orchardist for Elitch Gardens. He bought 20 acres of the Everitt homestead and built his brick house in 1879. Cultivation of apples was his specialty. For years he served on the State Horticultural Board and was the Treasurer. His body was graphing apples and often one tree would bear five or more varieties. He also propagated an early sweet corn. He was a member, an officer, of the M.E. church and Wheat Ridge Grange.
The picnic and camping grounds are maintained by the Forest Service. It was probably named for the view. Because of growth of the trees over the years, the view has changed since the 1950s, when it opened as a picnic area only.
This gentleman-farmer’s brick home, constructed in 1879, replaced the 1870 log cabin, where six of the 11 White children were born. Rubin Craig, owner of Craig Chevrolet, purchased the acreage in 1946 and named it “Maplelawn” for the grove of maple trees on the property. Later it changed hands again and was converted into a restaurant, preserving the early country atmosphere: fine oak woodwork; large fireplace; spacious rooms with floral wallpaper, adorned with century-old pictures of the White family. In 1993 it became, Morningside Manor and is appropriately used for receptions, weddings and special events. Das Meyer Fine Pastry is also located on the premises.
The entrance is at 29th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard. It was entered on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The tower of memories is a seven-story modernistic building. A Gothic structure was began in 1926, but the company failed in 1928. Later, architects William and Arthur Fisher were commissioned to continue the construction, but World War II caused further delays. The theme was modernistic and made of reinforced concrete. Finally in 1948 architect John Monroe was hired to complete the building. He increased the height and added a stairway, but did not change the basic design of the building. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places (5JF467) August 20, 1987.
The first park located in a shopping center in Wheat Ridge. The theme is a small, restful spot in the midst of daily activity.
Built ca. 1880 for the Woodman of the World. It was later acquired by the Woodcraft Ladies (insurance group and wives). It was finally donated to the town by the Booster Club.
Built ca. 1880. Annie Ewan Tracy came from a large family southeast of Morrison. Their home was called the Cotton-Wood Ranch and is presently known at the John Pallaro Ranch.
This church was originally organized as the First Baptist Church of Arvada in 1904. The church building was completed in 1909. The church at 5624 Yarrow merged with Tri-City Baptist Church on March 21, 1981 with Rev. Matt Olson as the pastor.
This park has flower gardens and open play area.
Theological Trinity (God, Son, Holy Spirit). Organized in 1954, met at Reed Street School. Church building 1960’s? Conservative.
This church was organized December 6, 1970. The first service in the church building at 7700 Wadsworth Boulevard took place on October 7, 1973 under the direction of the first pastor, Rev. Paul T. Bock. A second church was built on the adjacent property at 7755 Vance Drive on April 8, 1984.
Begins north of Bergen Park, crosses Highway 74 south of Bergen Park and joins Bear Creek at the west edge of Kittredge. Name source unknown.
Started in the late 1800s as a group of log cabins and a one-story hotel. In 1920 Harry Sidles, a Nebraska businessman, opened a new four-story luxury hotel with pond, pool and golf course. Through the 20s and 30s Troutdale was one of the most popular and fashionable resorts of the west. World War II forced closings and several later owners tried to restore it to its former glory, but it was razed in 1994. It was at times been called Troutdale In The Pines. Name source unknown.
This was a residential settlement with post office in early 1900s. The closing date unknown and origin of name unknown.
Recorded to be in operation early 1900s.
The site is composed of a c. 1925 small wood frame house, a c. 1955 green asphalt sided wood frame house, a large frame and c. 1925 cinder block barn, corral area north of the older residence, chicken coop by the barn, and several other corrals.
About eight miles long, this gulch is a major east-west watershed opening on the prairie approximately one mile north of and parallel to Clear Creek Canyon. Named for Alfred Tucker who operated a toll gate inside the canyon entrance in the 1860s.
Tucker Gulch District was one of 4 copper mining districts in Jefferson County during the 1870s. Its mines included the General Thomas.
Claimants for adjudication in 1884 were H.H. Miller and Leon Piquette. The 1936 adjudication claimants were the Denver View Reservoir & Irrigation Co. The reservoir is filled from Ralston Creek via Haines and Piquette Ditch. The 1884 adjudication awarded priority #17 on Ralston Creek dating back to May 10, 1869 and priority #2 as of date June 1, 1869. Work on enlargement began March 19, 1899. The Water District #7 reservoir is partially built on land once owned by T.F. Tucker.
Turkey Creek begins at the confluence of South Turkey Creek and North Turkey Creek about one-half mile south of Tinytown. It flows along South Turkey Creek Road and Highway 285 until emptying into Bear Creek Lake east of Morrison. The central two miles flow through a beautiful gorge with steep walls and a lush growth of timber on the south wall. The canyon was impassable to vehicles until the establishment in 1867 of the Denver Turkey Creek and South Park Wagon Road (Turkey Creek Toll Road). In places the road was only one carriage wide, but it was a short cut to the mining, ranching and timbering country farther west and made unnecessary the torturous climb over Bradford Hill.
A toll road was built in 1866 from Denver to where Bradford, Tarryall Blue River Road crosses Turkey Creek. The Turkey Creek Post Office was located in Turkey Creek Canyon. It opened on July 16, 1874 and closed on August 24, 1875.
Built ca. 1872. Alma White (founder of Pillar of Fire Church) lived here with her second son, Ray, who was born in 1892. There is a picture of the house in “Some White Family History” by author Kent White. Mr. and Mrs. Hopper lived here in 1916. He was the town barber. It was remodeled in August 1975.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places (5JF322) on September 22, 1983.
History not available
Origin of name unknown.
Junction of north and south Turkey Creek.
School District 17 in 1879, noted, Brownsville, Jefferson County. Located up gulch east of Twin Peaks.
Operator E.E. Lewis Inc. and owner US Bureau of Reclamation. It took five men 99 days to complete tunnel in 1965. Called the North Tunnel, was on the north side of the river five feet by seven feet to the north 210 feet. At the 160-foot station a 120-foot crosscut running northwest. These tunnels are high above the river bottom and were driven to check the rock and fault are.
The dam was to be placed at a junction of the South Platte River and the North Fork of the South Platte River, a mile east of the South Platte community at an altitude of 6400 ft. The area to be flooded extended from north of Deckers, taking in Horse Creek and then south from Deckers through the Wigwam Club property, tapering off to Cheesman Lake. From Deckers northeast, the territory flooded would take in Trumball, Oxyoke, Nighthawk, Twin Cedars, South Platte, Dome Rock, and Foxton, to Ferndale (approximately 5 miles from Buffalo Creek. If the dam had been built, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers predicted:
1. the local bighorn sheep would experience a significant decline and possible elimination ,
2. geological landmarks such as EAGLE ROCK,DOME ROCK and the Chutes would be flooded,
3. 21 historic buildings would be flooded,
4. an undetermined number of prehistoric native american sites would be destroyed,
5. 18 to 33 % of the entire estimated population of the endangered Pawnee Montana Skipper would be lost,
6. over 20 miles of Gold Medal and Wild Trout waters would be destroyed. The proposal was not accepted by the Environmental Protection Agency in 1991.