In the mid-to-late 1980s, the Jefferson County Historical Commission embarked on an ambitious Place Names Project to research, document, and catalog known geographic place names in Jefferson County, both contemporary and historic. A large committee was established, and its members scoured USGS quadrangles, history books, and other sources to write descriptions of areas with which they were familiar. The database of almost 2,500 entries was first placed on the county’s website in the 1990s. In 2020 it was transferred to Golden History Museum & Park, City of Golden.
Still a work in progress, you can peruse the descriptions here. We are continually refining the contents. Let us know if you see any errors.
Claimants in 1936 were Thomas S. Hayden Realty and Alice G. Henry. The reservoirs were filled from Clear Creek via Agricultural Ditch. Construction began February 11, 1889.
There is walking paths, picnic tables and a playground.
The congregation was established in 1971 by the organizing pastor, Reverend Harold A. Raines, Jr. The two-story wood frame building completed in 1974 features an octagonal sanctuary with a two-story educational wing added in 1992. The neighboring house and property was purchased from the Zann’s in 1979 and is known as the Faith House.
What came to be known as the United States Glazed Brick & Pottery plant was started in the defunct Geijsbeek Pottery plant on May 4, 1909 under the leadership of J.F. Hunt and management of William Kulow. From 1909-14 this plant made a variety of experimental glazed materials, including white glazed brick and pottery ware. Hunt originally came from the Columbia pottery at Kokomo, Indiana following his admiration of the quality of Golden clays in pottery manufacture. Hunt also came from Kokomo in 1907 with a party of potters seeking to open a plant for the manufacture of stoneware, but exhausted their funds before opening and only Kulow persevered to open this plant. The three known buildings remaining known to have used the experimental glazed brick from this plant (using molds obtained from the defunct Cambria works in Golden) include Union Station in Denver, and the Quaintance Block and Maas Residence in Golden.
Water was diverted from the north bank of Coal Creek, near the mouth of the Coal Creek Canyon and flowing to Upper Church Ditch in Section 3. The Church’s properties show on Willit’s “1899 Farm Map.”
Located in Water District #7, this lake is filled with water diverted from Coal Creek. Earliest appropriation May 20, 1870, and was built by George H. Church, farmer and rancher in the area.
Upper Ralston Elementary School was a brick schoolhouse in District No. 7 that existed under various names from 1870 until 1904. So as not to confuse this school with Ralston Crossing School in District No. 12, it was probably given the name Upper Ralston School because it was located farther “up the creek.”
This uranium mine was owned and operated by the Morrison Uranium Co. Consisted of a 115-foot tunnel.
It was built in 1886, south of Bradford Junction and operated until the Elk Creek School was built at Shaffers Crossing in the 1920s. In 1936 a new brick schoolhouse was built near the old location and grades 9 and 10 were added. This structure burned in 1951.
This school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened August 19, 1987 for grades K-6 with a capacity of 650. It was named for the Ute Indian Tribe that once lived in this area.
This park has a playground and entrance to lower ravine.