This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
A mid-section highway runs north and south through Arvada and is named for Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth, one of Arvada’s founding fathers. This name was preceded in 1870 by Centre Street, Sheridan Avenue in 1890, and Wadsworth Avenue in 1904. That portion from Ralston Road to Grandview Avenue was named Olde Wadsworth Boulevard in the 1980s.
Originally, this was the tramway roadbed in 1904. Earth was dug out beneath Grandview, Wadsworth, and the Colorado Central Railroad tracks to make way for the Denver & Northwestern Railroad and the Yellow Cars to travel north to the coal fields in Leyden. When the Denver and Intermountain Railway was discontinued in 1950, the “cut” was filled in, and this portion of Wadsworth Boulevard became known as Wadsworth By-pass.
Located in Water District #7, its water is diverted from Clear Creek via Slough Ditch. Claimants in 1884 were B.F. Wadsworth, M. E. Graves, H, Goodell, D.N. Ostrander and James Bond. Later some of the water was transferred to Farmers Highline Canal. This ditch has the earliest rights out of Clear Creek, May 25, 1860. B.F. Wadsworth was one of the founders of Arvada. His wife chose the name for Arvada and probably M.E. Graves refers to their daughter, Mary Emma, who married John Palmer Graves. H. Goodell is probably a misspelling of H.S. Goodall, an early physician in the area. Other members of the Ostrander family appear in Arvada History.
Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth settled in Empire, Colorado in 1861 and engaged in the Union District mining claims for eight years. He and his family relocated at Ralston Point in 1869 where he had previously secured 160 acres by Military Bounty, The Wadsworth’s lived in a small cabin until their brick home was built. He drew up the first plat of Arvada in 1870, was the town’s first postmaster, donated property for a church, school, and provided funding for Clear Creek Valley Grange Hall. The brick home has been razed and was the site of Sonora Inn in 1994.
The property for Wadsworth Park was leased to North Jeffco for 99 years by the City of Arvada on February 1, 1958. Homeowners and representatives of North Arvada Improvement Association met to discuss its development. A playground is confined to one area, picnic tables and benches to another. Pipelines were installed for irrigation and seeding of grass
The first Wadsworth School in District No. 2 was built c. 1869 This was a small frame building called a “cabin.” By 1882 the cabin was too small and a new brick building on the same site was built. The children were sent to the Grange Hall for classes until the new school was built. These schools later became known as Wadsworth schools because Benjamin Franklin Wadsworth donated his property for these schools. The second school still stands and has been remodeled as a commercial building.
Wagner school in District No. 43 was named for Karl Wagner who deeded the land on which the school was built, in 1891. During the construction of Standley Lake the school was moved to the above location. It was converted into a temporary classroom in 1956.
Walker/Branch Park was dedicated August 17, 1996. Members of the Walker and Brach family pushed to have the park dedicated after their relatives, Randy Walker and Michael Branch who drowned in a nearby drainage ditch in 1973.
The new park is on the border of Lakewood and Edgewater, with parts of the park in each city. The park totals approximately thirteen acres. The acquisition of land for the park began in 1978. Edgewater, Lakewood, Jefferson County Open Space have worked cooperatively on the park since the early 1980s. The development plans were adopted by Edgewater and Lakewood in 1993. Jefferson County Open Space funds were used to build the $1.2 million park. Development costs were split between Edgewater, Lakewood, and Jefferson County Open Space.
These ruins were intended to be the summer White House for the United States President. Construction was started in 1919 by John Brisben Walker, former editor of “Cosmopolitan,” and a giant land owner in the Denver area, who has been called the father of the Denver Mountain Park System. For financial and other reasons, the castle was never finished.
Built ca. 1900. John lived there while he built his home up on top of Mt. Falcon. His wife is buried a short distance from the house in a spot where she loved to sit and look over to the Red Rocks Park.
Wall Street appears to have been named for David K. Wall, famous pioneer farmer in early-day Golden. It was also a financial backbone for Golden, being the route along which a smelter, paper mill, 2 flour mills, and 2 passenger rail depots were built. It was renamed 8th Street by ordinance in 1904.
Inquiries produced no explanation for the origination of the name.
None is available.
Place name origin unknown.
Accessible from Hwy. 285 on Wandcrest Road west of Pine Junction intersection for several miles through Park County until it returns to Jefferson County. Developed in the 1920s in three plats by Carl Smith. Being far from Denver, Wandcrest began as a summer community and until recently, there were only few year-round residents. Many of the small and intact houses have not changed over time though some owners have enclosed porches and made additions. (Paraphrased from Cathleen Norman’s text). According to C. Norman, “four or five cabins along the southwest edge of Wandcrest Park were burned in the High Meadow fire of summer 2000.”
Located in Water District #7, it has priority No. 6 (June 1, 1860). Water was diverted from the north bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were J. E. Wannamaker and Joseph Standley. Both were property owners in the area, Wannamaker in S 2, T 3 S, R 70 W, and Standley in S 18, T 3 S, R 70 W.
Claimant in 1936 was John P. Haines, Executor for the estate of Julia Merritt. It was filled from Clear Creek via Agricultural Ditch. It was constructed in 1882 and enlarged in 1888.
Ward Ditch starts at Smith Lake and circles around high ground across Kipling and Morrison Road towards Bear Creek.
Ward Reservoir No. 1 lies on the grounds of Green Gables Country Club. It is sometimes also called Hidden Lake and is fed by Ward Ditch. This and Ward Reservoir No. 2 are named after William Ward, a scientist and scholar, who was born in 1844 in Madros (sic), India, of American parents. During the Civil War, he was taken prisoner when his Union gunboat, the Indianola, was sunk while running the Vicksburg batteries. He next attended Princeton University and went on to the mining school of Columbia University, New York. He edited scientific journals in New York City before moving to the West. Ward first went to Leadville where he was managing a mine in 1879. Four years later he moved to Denver, and during 1889 and 1890, he represented Colorado at the Paris, France Exposition. Ward also spent time at Oxford University, England, where he wrote “The Life of Cato of Utica.” Princeton honored him with an honorary Doctor of Science degree.
This R-1 District school was built in 1973. It was named for Zinna Warder, a first grade teacher and later principal of Lawrence Elementary School for 10 years.
Built in 1973. Named for S. Power Warren (1889-1974). He helped bring vocational education to R-1 schools. He was a professor at the Colorado School of Mines.
One of the oldest schools in the city, now owned by the Foothills Recreation since 1965 for a craft center. It was built in 1898 on land donated by Colorado U. S. Senator Thomas Patterson. Now closed by Foothills Recreation district. Community activities centered around school programs such as Christmas activities. Ballgames, hayrides to Morrison and ice skating were always popular through the years. It was listed on the State Register of Historic Places (5JF324) on July 13, 1994.
Weaver Creek flows northeastward into Kendall Reservoir near Bear Creek School. Its source is somewhere on the Indian Hills quad map. While crossing west Quincy Avenue, leaving the Morrison Quad map and entering the Fort Logan Quad map, its name changes into Weaver Gulch. This stream may have been named after Dr. Robert Weaver, who, with others, was involved in the development of Foothills Park and Recreation District.
Milton J. (Ben) Webber purchased property at 6660 Simms Street for his home and for Broadview Nursery in 1913. The acreage was originally homesteaded in 1869 by John Clark who built a one and one-half story log cabin, and started an apple orchard on the grounds. Ben and Alta Webber were fond of the architecture used in Salt Lake City, Utah. They kept the original hand-hewn log cabin and built a replica of the spacious Thomas Kearns Mansion (603 E.S. Temple Street) around it. The front entrance of Webber’s home was surrounded by White Doric Columns with a balcony above. Inside were ornate wood trimmings and the large fireplace of the original cabin was also decorated with Doric Columns on each side. There was a long building northeast of the house which contained a four-room apartment and five garages, one housed Ben Webber’s Stanley Steamer.There was also a barn and an area called the “Isle of Safety.” This was a beautifully landscaped area surrounded with a wrought-iron fence to protect bystanders when family horses were being led home. This serious arborist introduced many trees, shrubs and flowers not grown in this area, and kept annual diaries to whom each was sold. In 1949 the Colorado Forestry and Horticultural Society, a forerunner of the Denver Botanic Gardens, declared Broadview Nursery a Botanic Preserve, one of three in Colorado. After Mrs. Webber’s death, the new owner purchased Baby Doe Tabor’s bathroom fixtures from the Windsor Hotel and had them installed in the Webber home.
The Ben Webbers bought the Hunt Nursery in August of 1913. The property was originally homesteaded by John Clark in 1869. Clark had built a one and a half story log cabin and had started an apple orchard on the acreage. Both were still there when the Webbers purchased the property. The original cabin is a step lower than the rest of the house. It is now the location of the dining room and kitchen with a fireplace separating the two. When the first high school in Denver was razed, Ben Webber purchased the black and white marble flooring and laid it in the back entry way. The fireplace in the living room is finished with planking doric column, and the same ornate woodwork and columns are used on the outside of the house.
When the Windsor Hotel was razed, the basin from the Baby Doe suite was built into the bathroom. There was no electricity in the house until 1947 and no plumbing until 1962.
Cabin Creek runs through the area.
Streets were named for pioneers who were settlers of Arvada in the early days. With the expansion of the community, Arvada voted in favor of the changes made by Jefferson County in 1949. This street was named for Daniel Webster who served in the United States Senate from 1827 to 1841 and 1845 to 1850. Previous names for this street were East First Street, Park Street and Alder Street.
Weir Gulch originates in the area of Garrison Street and Mississippi Avenue. Here a ditch connects it with Agricultural Ditch toward the west. Weir Gulch runs northeast toward Kountze Lake and passes south of it. It continues northeast into Denver, and after flowing through a reservoir in Barnum Park, joins South Platte River at about 9th Avenue.
Coal mine owned by C.C. Welch had a 216-foot shaft in 1878. 1881 daily production averaged 370 tons.
The Welch Ditch diverts water from Clear Creek, west of Golden. It is known as a subsidiary of the Agricultural Ditch and Reservoir Company.
1/26/1884, the Welch Mine is a copper mine with leaves of pure copper found adhering to the roof in large flakes and frequently filling or hanging from little cracks in the wall. The vein is located in a hanging wall dipping 40 to 60 degrees to the southeast.
Built in 1960-61. Named after John Clark Welch, a Golden pioneer and one of the founders of the Colorado School of Mines. Six classrooms and library were added in 1964.
Originally, a Mr. Dickinson owned the land and operated a hotel on the lake. His son-in-law, Mr. Mendenhall, lived on the place and if there was a Mendenhall School here, it was probably for children of the family and of the employees. Later owners were William Wellington Nesbitt (for whom the lake was named), William Fullerton and Harper Orahood. The dam was built in 1888-1889 and the lake was sold in 1920 to some farmers of Brighton, Colorado. It continues to supply water to that area.
West 38th Avenue enters Wheat Ridge at Sheridan Blvd. and continues west to Youngfield Street where it ends. It is a main artery of transportation in the city, mostly commercial to Kipling Street. The terminal is the Applewood Shopping Center.
The road is a main artery of transportation, adjacent on the south to I-70. It borders Lakeside Amusement Park, the town of Mountain View, shopping centers, the I-70 truck shop, and several entries into the Wheat Ridge golf course, green belt.
From Sheridan Boulevard west to Garrison Street, this avenue was known as College Avenue because it terminated in Denver at Regis College. From Carr Street to Garrison Street it was called Upper College Avenue; the residents of the Griffith area called it North College.
It was not until 1949 that West 57th Avenue was named by the revision of the Jefferson County street names. Prior to that time, this street was named Adelaide Avenue in 1870 and later became Church Street when four churches were built there.
Elihu Evans and his brother, Oliver, joined an oxen drawn wagon train from Pennsylvania to Arvada in the 1860s. Elihu homesteaded 160 acres and built a house on the road named for him in 1867. He invented a section roller used to roll and mark out ground for irrigation purposes. He was not as successful in receiving a patent for his grasshopper killing machine, but he used it to help farmers in the surrounding area.
Alfred Tucker operated the Tucker Gulch toll road up Golden Gate Canyon to Blackhawk and Central City in the 1860s. He gave the Tramway Company the right-of-way to place Tucker Station on his property. This prominent man became a judge in his later years. The road south of the D&RGW tracks was named for Alfred Tucker and the road west to Alkire Street was called Denver View Street for the school of that name in the area.
Leander Ryan West emigrated from Canada to Ralston Creek. Here he purchased 80 acres in 1972. A new house was completed for the family in 1883 at 7000 Indiana Street. Leander planted half of his acreage in apple trees and later served as a Colorado State Senator from 1896-1902. His wife Zipporah became a midwife, and brought many babies into the world. No vital statistics were kept until 1907. When a birth certificate was needed for old age and Social Security benefits, the attending physician, several years after birth, could sign the birth certificate. In later years when Zipporah could no longer sign her name, notaries, Dr. Richard Russell or Dr. E.L. Foster were present to verify the X in place of her signature.
Opened in February of 1955. Name from geographical location.
Opened in 1973 and in 1996 the named was changed to West Jefferson Middle School. The name is descriptive of the location.
This golf course was built with Jefferson County Open Space funds and is managed by Foothills Metropolitan Recreation and Park District.
Name from location “in west part of City, serves are west of Wehat Ridge Sanitation District
West School was so named because it was on the west side of District No. 25. It later was named Semper School, 1887-1897, was removed from District No. 25 and became District No. 39, the District to the south of District No. 25.
Being east of East Street at the east end of Golden, this street was presumably named for William West, famed early manager of the Golden Smelting Works overlooking this thoroughfare. This street was vacated during the 1980s to enable expansion of the nearby Coors Brewery.
Only a block or so in total length, West Street was the westernmost street on historic Golden plats of the 19th century, platted along with the Golden City Mineral & Land Company’s Addition. It was placed on unusable terrain and later vacated.
West Tree Park was funded by the City Bond Referendum in 1974. It is a small playground for children in an open area covered with blue grass.
In the planning stages since the early 1980s, the property for West Woods Golf Course was annexed into the City of Arvada in 1991. Jefferson County Open Space funds were used to acquire 150 acres for the course, ten acres were a gift and the remainder was part of the required land dedication. West Woods Golf Course derives its name from the subdivision in which it is located. The grand opening ceremonies for the course were held June 8, 1994.
In 1867, John West built this 1 1/2 story log cabin with a one room shed addition. John West came to Colorado after serving in the Union Army with his friend Billy Williams. The following year West brought his wife out from Piqua, Ohio. West farmed, worked as a timber cutter and as a mine blacksmith.
Billy Westall, an engineer on the Denver, South Park & Pacific Railroad, was killed August 28, 1898 when the engine hit a rock slide and overturned. The granite monument was placed near the site of the accident and named for him.
This neighborhood park has a playground, tennis court and open play area.
Built in 1972, shares the name with the housing sub-division.
This park has baseball and soccer fields, basketball court, playground, walking trails and open play area.
Westlake is a naturalistic and wild-life City Park, the only one of its kind in Arvada. It includes Juniper trees, an Oak grove, berry and fruit trees, and is a birdhouse shelter. This four-acre park acts as a buffer between a private pond in the subdivision and Standley Lake and is also used as an animal habitat. It was completed c 1986-1987.
The membership was founded in 1953, and moved to the new church in 1969. Through the years, they have enlarged to a school campus and facilities.
Located four blocks west of Kipling and one block north of Bowles, this school is part of the Jefferson County R1 School District. It opened in 1987 and was named for the subdivision in which it is located.
The name is derived from the location “in the west part of the city.” The district serves the area west of the Wheat Ridge Sanitation District territory, from Garrison Street to Youngfield, south of Clear Creek to West 32nd Avenue, approximately.
Named same as community. Third District #8 school, 8-room, 2-story brick building opened November 1889. On the same site as the second Everett School, which was moved to 8900 W. 38th. Private Residence. 1897, high school established, 1st graduate 1900. Elementary School 1-8th grade, high school in same building until 1924. 1934, Federal Works Progress Administration helped fund $125,000 Wheat Ridge High School building. The 1889 building was demolished and the new building built on the site. 1919, gym and auditorium refaced and updated. Accredited NCA. It is said this is the only site in Colorado where school has been in continuous session for this long a period of time. 1873-1994+.
The city was incorporated and was without funds until tax incomes were established. The first city offices were in the basement of a Savings and Loan Building at this location, Office equipment was meager, i.e. a 1940 switchboard for telephone service, card tables, “assorted chairs” etc.Special District parks were transferred to the city but water and sanitations districts remain separate. The County Sheriff assisted until the Police Department could be properly staffed. The Fire District is still a separate entity. There were originally three Wards but with the charter change there are four.
The community of Wheat Ridge dates to 1860. The Prospect Trail to Golden and the gold mining area to the west crossed through the area. The travelers went on the trail through the ridges of wheat and as the community sought an identifying name Henry Lee a prominent farmer suggested the name Wheat Ridge.The area established school District # 8 , a church, lyceum, and and the first grange in Colorado, patrons of Husbandry Ceres # 1 , and a library all housed in the school building on Prospect Avenue (38th Ave.) at what is now Teller Street. Abram Slater had donated the ground for school use. Farmers soon learned there was a ready market for the produce of there gardens in Denver and the mining communities and with the establishment of the Rocky Mt. Ditch and other irrigation systems the wheat field became truck gardens and orchards. The 160 pre-empted acres and homesteads were soon divided into 10- to 40-acre tracts, highly cultivated for fruits and vegetables. In 1904 at the St. Louis Exposition E. Wesley Slater won the bronze Medal for his strawberries (He pointed out he was”competing with Missouri berries picked that morning.” And in 1915 Joe Pearson won the Gold Medal for his strawberries at the San Francisco World’s Fair.
The community continued to grow with multiple sub divisions and World War II caused an explosion of development. In 1969 the city was incorporated. In 1978 a Home Rule Charter was approved. A. E. Anderson was the first Mayor. He was the grandson of the owner of the General Store, George Washington Smith 1902 – 1930s.
Built in 1977-1978 with solar heat site from John Olson farm. Artesian well served the area in the 1920s and 1930s. Now the landscaped fountain park is called Hayward Park for owners of the property in 1977.
This center began and progressed from a humble beginning of an idea in 1973 at the Wheat Ridge Congregational Church to the Wheat Ridge Methodist Church to the Anderson Building of the Parks Department to its present location. The idea grew from a senior citizen program to a community center. Mrs. Donna Ketner was the original director serving in that capacity with vigorous leadership until 1990. This building is the former Elam Baptist (First Baptist) Church. It has been remodeled and enlarged and the programs expanded from a senior center to a community center.
Name is self explanatory. Congregation organized in 1882 in Highlands (26th & Federal), Denver. 1954, moved to Columbine Heights School. 1962, moved to new building at 6310 W. 29th Ave. 1971, established a child care center. 1993, started the Wheat Ridge Senior Center. Stained glass windows from Denver church.
Built 1950-1951. Wheat Ridge School District #8 $300,000 bond. Name changed to Reed Street Elementary. The third name for the school honored Paul C. Stevens former Wheat Ridge principal and Superintendent and second Superintendent of Jefferson County District R-1. School to be demolished. A new campus-complex includes Wheat Ridge Middle School and Stevens Elementary scheduled to open in 1994.
Outgrowth of Lutheran Sanitarium (medical center). Name is self explanatory. Organized in 1954. Building dedicated on November 20, 1954. “Focus on children”, had school K-6, closed 1975 but has weekly religious school.
Brothers Robert and Steve Burry bought the Bank Farm Ranch in 1904 and established their dairy wholesaling milk. In 1939, they built a retail store in the Art-Deco style. It became well-known for the “best malts in town” as well as for “pure milk and cream from our own herd.” It was truly a family run business. In 1966, they sold it to Alan Roberts, a McDonald’s mixes manufacturer. In the 1970s it became a restaurant and bakery. New proprietors took it over and the store closed in 1997.
This is the third location of the Wheat Ridge Fire Dept. In 1926 a chemical fire truck was purchased with funds by popular subscription following a devastating fire at 7390 W 38th Ave. The Arvada Chemical *truck had responded to the urgent plea for help that night. The new truck was garaged in George Hively’s Garage-Blacksmith Shop 7020 W 38th Ave. Later a small brick Fire Station was built at 3820 Pioneer St. (Upham St.) This larger two story Building was built.
Wheat Ridge Grange, Patrons of Husbandry #155 is the oldest service organization in Wheat Ridge. It was organized March 29, 1907, and met in the District #8 Wheat Ridge School. In 1913, the Grange installed electric lights in the school room they met in. Later, they met in the school’s gymnasium until 1950, except for a brief period in 1936-1937 while the school was being rebuilt and they met at the Mt. View Elementary School. In 1950, the group moved into their newly constructed grange hall across the street at 3850 High Court.
The building has been a meeting place for numerous community groups including several church groups during their organizational periods. In 1960, the mortgage was paid and summarily burned. There is a Junior Grange and in 1942 a women’s auxiliary Home Economics Club was established. The Grange is affiliated with the State Grange Insurance Association providing auto, homeowners, boat and personal lines of coverage for members only. Each year they honor a Wheat Ridge citizen for exceptional community leadership. Members of #155 have been active leaders and officers in Panoma and Colorado State Grange. The organization is host to the SHARE COLORADO project that distributes food at very low cost or for community service rendered.
The city began development of the greenbelt in 1970. Several parks are adjacent along the way. The natural environment with wildlife and fishing and multiple use paths make this a widely used asset. There are also restrooms.
Name due to it’s location and denomination. Organized in 1950, met at Jefferson High School. Building dedicated January 7, 1961. Now home of Sons of Italy (not a church).
Jefferson County District R-1, built 1958-1959. Original high school 7101 W. 38th. Addition and remodeling have been made.
This is the site of the Sod House, Coulehan-Johnson Cabin, First Wheat Ridge Post Office Building, the Wheat Ridge Museum, and the Tool Shed. The early records show a land grant to a New Mexico volunteer of the Navajo Indian Wars. The land was next owned by James H. Baugh. The brick house museum was built by the Albert White Family ca. 1900. The site was purchased by the city (about one acre) in 1972 following the S.O.S. campaign (“Save Our Soddy”). The Coulehan-Johnson Cabin was built on the first registered homestead in Colorado by Henry Stevens (Section 23). It was moved several times, finally to 4610 North Robb Street in 1985. The First Post Office Building was moved to 4610 North Robb in 1991 from the 7100 block of West 38th Avenue, the original site. The Pioneer Sod House was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1973 (5JF.179). The Post Office was added to the State Register on August 12, 1992 (5JF.920).
Name same as community. 1925, 1926, 1927, school years a junior high was established in 4 second story rooms of “new” 1924 elementary building for grades 7 and 8. (Grades 9-12 high school). Moved into the 1937 high school building in 1958. A new complex is due to open in 1995 as Wheat Ridge Middle School.
In the 1940s under the auspices of the PTA and District #7 Schools a Wheat Ridge Youth Council was organized to provide summer activities for children and youth. This included a summer library at the three elementary school areas of the District #8. The barber shop at this address provided space for the one afternoon a week library staffed by volunteers to manage with books provided by the Colorado State Library along with a few books.
Built 1884 (now a garage) lots donated by Henry Lee. Congregation organized in 1874, met in Everett School at 38th and Teller. Moved to 38th and Wadsworth in 1931. Demolished in 1989. The present brick activities building was constructed in 1988-1989.
In 1924, Wheat Ridge School District No. 8 built a two-story brick building with a full basement immediately west of the structure that until then, had housed all grades one through twelve. 1n 1924-25, grades one through sixth moved into the first floor area of the new building. The next year, the seventh grade occupied the second story area, and in 1926-27, the eighth grade joined the seventh and Wheat Ridge Junior High School was “born.” Miriam Brown was the principal. In 1950, the Stevens Elementary was opened and the Junior High occupied the entire 1924 building. When the High School moved to the 1958 building at 9505 West 32nd Avenue, the Junior High occupied the 1937 building. On November 13, 1994, closing ceremonies for the Wheat Ridge School Building were held and the theme was “Remembering 121 Years.” This is the oldest continuously occupied site in Colorado-1873-1997. The Elementary and the Middle School with their athletic fields will share a large campus.
City park and recreation center 1974 building, 1978 city office. Anderson Building named in honor of first Mayor A.E. Anderson. This is a recreation center with gym, lockers, showers. Outdoor pool, basketball, softball, soccer field, bike path, Greenbelt, trails, playground, picnic tables, pavilion, restrooms, concessions.
Red brick building 18′ x 30′ owned and built by Fred Bunger who was the first Post Master 1913-1922. Building became a commercial small business facility for varied enterprises. In 1941 Bailey’s Barber Shop was the occupant and he offered space there for the first Library of the facility that later became a branch of the Jefferson County Library.In l99l due to revitalization of the area of the original site the building was moved to Wheat Ridge Historic Park, 4610 Robb Street.
The fifth location of the Wheat Ridge Post Office is a unit of the Times Square Shopping Center.
Fourth location of Wheat Ridge Post Office. Pete Ricci was the owner-builder. When Post Office moved to 4210 Wadsworth Blvd. This site was occupied by various small businesses.
The second location of the Wheat Ridge Post Office, a frame building. Owner-builder was Mrs. nancy Holley. When the post office was moved to 7100 W. 38th Ave. this building served as a small commercial office site. Demolished in 19–.
Owner-builder George Hively. This was the third location for the Wheat Ridge Post Office. When the Post Office was moved to 3810 Pierce Street the building became site of various small businesses.
This is a contract station in Applewood and has shorter hours than the main Post Office.
Name is self explanatory. Organized in 1954, met at Wheat Ridge High School. Built education building and chapel in 1962.
On May 16, 1867, Wheat Ridge School District #8 was organized at a meeting held in the home of Martin E. Everett, which is now 7180 W. 35th Avenue. Everett had initiated the meeting and with other officers was elected secretary of the first school board. The first school was built on the northeast corner of his homestead at West 32nd Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard.
In 1873 the school was moved to a more central location donated by Abram Slater on Prospect Avenue, 7101 West 38th Avenue today. This second one room schoolhouse was truly the community center. The first Grange in Colorado, Ceres #1 was organized and met here. The Wheat Ridge Methodist Episcopal Church met in the school for ten years. It was also the home of the library, a lyceum, the polling place, and social events. In 1889 the growing community built a two-story brick structure. The frame building was moved west and is a private residence at 8991 West 38th Avenue.
The Berkeley Annex was opened in a rented space in the Berkeley Methodist Church at 43rd Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard. When the town of Mountain View was incorporated the school became Mountain View Elementary. In 1897 a brick school was built at 41st Avenue and Benton Street.
Prior to this James W. Ellison was hired as principal of the District in 1893. Significant strides in education took place under his leadership. A high school was started in 1896, with a grade added each year. At the first commencement Chester Wolff was the lone graduate. In 1908, wings were added on the east and west with an entry in each. In 1919 the auditorium and gymnasium were built on the east. The basketball program at Wheat Ridge was outstanding. In the early 1920s a science laboratory was built at the back of the school between the main building and the gymnasium.
In 1924, a two-story structure with a full basement was built and grades one through six occupied the first floor. Seventh and eighth grades were transferred to the second floors and became the Junior High.
In 1949 construction began on a new elementary school on Reed Street at 4001. This building was completed in 1950. It was named Stevens Elementary. In 1994 a new building was added to the Middle School, the oldest continuously occupied education site in Colorado.
In 1885 Golden High School was established and was the only public high school in the county until 1896 when Wheat Ridge (and Arvada) added ninth grade courses. The following three years, 1897-1900, the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth grade curricula were added. At the first commencement in the Spring of 1900, Chester Wolffe was the lone graduate. The school grew and by 1906 was accredited by the University of Colorado. The second story of the schoolhouse at 7101 West 38th Avenue was the site. Additions, remodeling, and replacement of the facility occurred throughout the years as growth and time dictated. In 1919 a gymnasium and 500 seat auditorium was built on the east side. In 1921 Clark Stone became the principal. North Central Association accreditation was granted in the 1920s. A spacious science laboratory was constructed on ground level on the north side. In 1937 the main buildings were demolished and a new building erected financed in part by the Federal Works Projects Administration. In 1950-51 Jefferson County reorganized their school district. School District Number 1 was created and unprecedented growth and activities challenged the school. 1958 was the year the high school was built at 9505 West 32nd Avenue. In 1976, 1,832 students were enrolled. In 1996 Wheat Ridge High School celebrated its 100th Anniversary and the theme was, “A century of Excellence.”
This school served not only District Number 8. Until 1950 it was one of three accredited Jefferson County high schools and pupil enrollment included Berkely Gardens, Edgewater, Fruitdale, Lakewood, Maple Grove, and Prospect Valley, when those district offered only grades one through eight.
The school’s focus has always been on academics and providing comprehensive choices. The art, music, and drama programs are recognized statewide. The athletic department has scores of trophies, championships, and honors. Some twenty clubs cover a wide range of interests and activities. Rich in tradition and stable by nature, Wheat Ridge is a source of pride to students and patrons.
In September 1873, Reverend R.H. Rhoads, a licensed Methodist minister and skilled carpenter, completed the supervision of the construction of a new school on Prospect Avenue (West 38th Avenue). The small frame building became the community center, housing the library, the Lyceum, the Grange, and all public meetings.
On January 11, 1874, Reverend Rhoads organized a Methodist class of thirteen members that began meeting for the next ten years in the school. In 1880, David Brothers gave a one acre lot at 3303 Wadsworth Boulevard for a parsonage. the house erected on the lot still stood in 1997.
In 1883, Henry Lee gave a site for a church at 32nd Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard. On November 16, 1884, the church was dedicated with the minister addressing the crowd with , “All are welcome, you do not have to be a member.”
The frame building featured stained glass windows, a rear balcony, and a sound tunnel under the floor from the pulpit to the south side second row pew for the hearing impaired. In 1900, a large all-purpose room was built on the west side for youth classes and general activities. Wheat Ridge High School commencements were held at the church until they built their gymnasium and auditorium in 1919. This new school facility was used for the annual church bazaar and supper.
In 1930, the congregation moved to 38th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard and Sunday School rooms were added as the congregation grew. In 1960, the congregation moved to a larger building to the east at 7350 West 38th Avenue. The congregation had several successive name changes: Wheat Ridge Methodist Episcopal, Wheat Ridge Community Methodist, Wheat Ridge Methodist, and, finally, Wheat Ridge United Methodist.
The early farmers and gardeners dug their individual wells for domestic use with some using windmills and storage tanks. By the 1920s there were several artisan wells; i.e. 8300 West 38th Avenue, Graul, South 44th west of Wadsworth, Oakes Home, West 32nd Avenue at 8000, and 29th Avenue at Wadsworth. Neighbors banded together and paid their proportionate share of the costs to construct, operate , and maintain the systems.
Henry Stewart had a farm just west of Sheridan Boulevard on West 38th Avenue and obtained a water line to his home from the Denver Water Company. In 1923 he assisted in getting that line out to the Wheat Ridge School, 7101 West 38th Avenue, with taps available to other patrons. In 1941 following enabling legislation by the Colorado Legislature, the Wheat Ridge Water District was established and contracted with the Denver Water Board for its water supply.
The area served is Sheridan Boulevard to Garrison Street, West 32nd Avenue to Clear Creek, approximately.
In 1923 Lutheran Sanitarium installed a sewer line on West 38th Avenue from 8300 east to Wadsworth Boulevard, north of Wadsworth to Clear Creek where the untreated sewage was emptied. Wheatridge School District # 8, 7101 West 38th Avenue, installed a connecting line across the fields of the Auger and Slater Properties to intercept the Lutheran line at about 41st Ave.
In 1945, the Wheatridge Men’s Service Club spearheaded a motivating force to establish a Sanitation District.
In 1948 the district was established.
The area served is Sheridan Boulevard to Field Drive, 26th Avenue to Clear Creek, approximately. It includes the town of Lakeside but not Mountain View.
In 1973, Lutheran Medical Center line went directly to Metro Waste Water for treatment. In 1984, BelAire Sanitation District joined Wheatridge Sanitation District.
In the 1990s, the sewage was sent to Metro Waste Water Reclamation for treatment and disposal.
The district started with 800 taps. In 1982, there were 10,000 taps.
James Simmons working this mine and had dug a 100 foot shaft and hit a seven foot vein of coal.
May 1877, the White Ash Coal Mine shaft was down to 300 feet and 70 tons of coal taken out during the month. Opened by D.R. Hall and Al Jones. 1879 W.S. Wells purchased an interest and Hall retired.
In 1880 the mine shaft was down 440 feet at that time the deepest coal mine in Colorado. Vein of coal is 8 feet to 9 feet in width and producing 50 tons daily. Operated by Golden Brick and Coal Company.
1885, Welch and Hodges purchased the mine and Golden Brick and Coal Company.
1893, mine is running at half capacity.
1895, White Ash closed permanently, 20 men unemployed.
A red granite marker is the gravestone for ten minors entombed in the White Ash Coal Mine. The White Ash Coal Mine was tunneled under Clear Creek. September 9, 1889, the mine collapsed and smothered ten men. The bodies were never brought to the surface, and the mine became their gravesite. Approximately 30 men were employed, and at times, the mine produced 50 tons of coal daily. Coal oil was also produced. In 1881, a near perfect body of coal was found 450 feet deep and the White Ash Coal Mine was called the “producer of black diamonds.”
History not available
This was the first building constructed in Lakeside re-subdivision in 1889 following the replatting of the area north of W. 28th Avenue. Built c. 1911, it is a 1-1/2 story wood frame building with stucco on the exterior walls. The first floor is rectangular with the second floor occupying the space under the cross-gabled eaves of the roof. There is a covered porch over the front entry door which faces Ames Street. Built for Lawrence Richards, who lived in the house a short time. Later, Edwin K. Whitehead, secretary of the Colorado Bureau of Prevention of Animal and Child Abuse, lived in the house for many years. The house was used as an apartment house until the mid-1990s. In 1997, a car struck the house knocking it from its foundation, but was later repaired. The property was part of a larger 8-acre parcel owned by J.W. Kimbrough and was used as a tuberculosis sanitarium. The heavily renovated house was moved to this lot in 1950, south of Block 1 Lakeside and east of Ames Street.
The name is appropriate to the location and the philosophy of the institution as a Christian Science Sanitarium. What is now the tea room was originally the Yousee House, built in the early 1900s. This was a private residence until in 1947 when Mountain States Home, Inc. purchased the 10-acre property. They remodeled the buildings and proceeded with plans to accommodate 24 guests, custodial staff and graduate Christian Science nurses. In 1947, there were two other similar institutions, one in Boston, the other in San Francisco. In 1989, the buildings were replaced by new buildings.
Theodore and Elizabeth (Stocke) Wiebelt came to Arvada from Colorado Springs in 1902. He engaged Louis Zeller to build a two-story, brick building. Here he operated a pool hall and barber shop on the first floor and living quarters on the second floor. First State Bank opened at 7403 Grandview Avenue in the space vacated by the pool hall in 1913. This was the second bank in Arvada until it consolidated with the First National Bank of Arvada in 1925. This building was named for Theodore and Elizabeth Wiebelt and continues to be used in 1994 for various businesses.
Named for the nearby creek.
Name origin unknown.
Located on the Girl Scouts Flying “G” Ranch, the 1886 structure is 1 1/2-story, hand-hewn square logs with mud chinking. Attached is a one-story shed room with an attached one-story room. Originally part of the Runner Ranch, it was on the old stage road to Leadville. The ranch supplied meat to the work crew building Lost Park Reservoir in the 1890s. The Girl Scouts have restored the building and renamed it the Homestead House. The Flying “G” Ranch encompasses an area totaling 360 acres combining two original homestead claims. The homestead on the upper part was replaced by the Girl Scout Lodge built in 1915 by a mining engineer named Woods using lumber from the Tom Gill Mill on Wigwam Creek.
This facility has youth and family counseling, special population activities, community meeting room. The Park has a ball field, exercise trail and picnic tables.
Perhaps named for the blooms near-by, this mine is said to have operated late in the 1890s.
Wild Rose Grange #160 was organized in 1907 in the A.W. Ralph home in Spruce Lodge. Ralph, first Master of the Grange named it “Wild Rose” for the numerous wild roses in the area. In 1908 the grange building was constructed across the road from Spruce Lodge (near the present entrance to Mt. Lindo). In 1913 the building was damaged by a winter storm that dumped four feet of snow. It was relocated in the Hodgson School in 1940 and continues to maintain high ideals of community service. Hodgson School was built in 1914 on North Turkey Creek.
Name origin unknown.
Built in 1872, this log, stone and frame house was sold by John H. Morrison to David H. Moffat, Jr., in November 1878.
Built circa 1922. Designated a county landmark 3/7/2005.
Probably named for the growth along the bank of the creek.
Name origin unknown
This two-story, 600 sq. ft. on each floor, brick structure was built in 1905 by Fred and DeLance Yousse. One of the earliest commercial buildings in what was then called Fruitdale, it started on a half acre of grounds.
Name origin unknown.
Established in 1879, it was probably on the site of the Shaffers Crossing Post Office, which was built in 1865.
William Wallace Wilmore was born in Laurel, Maryland, in 1861. The family moved to Colorado in 1873 and lived in Valverde, gardening and selling their produce in the city. Seven years later they moved to Wheat Ridge on West 26th Avenue. In 1883, W.W., as he was known, had the responsibility of taking over the vegetable wagon route and marketing the produce. He had developed a “very creditable flower garden” in their front yard and added cut flowers as a sideline to his vegetable business. Folklore says he was Denver’s first flower peddler.
In 1884, W.W. went on his own and purchased 10 acres on Wadsworth Boulevard and Prospect Avenue (West 38th). He built a frame, two-room house and in 1886 married Josephine Ely whom he had met at the Wheat Ridge Lyceum. In 1892 they built s seven room, two-story home with a wrought iron arched gateway that proclaimed DAHLMORE, W.W.’s specialty. At the World Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893, W.W. staged a dahlia exhibit that was awarded first prize. At this time Wilmore first published his Dahlia Catalogue, the first in the United States.
In 1907, W.W. wrote and copyrighted THE DAHLIA MANUAL. The first printing of 1500 copies and the second edition of 2500 were “dispersed rapidly.” The business expanded in 1924 and became W.W. Wilmore Nurseries. In 1926, his sons, Scott and Charles, became partners. Scott eventually became the sole owner and in 1957 hired Steve Driftmier as general manager.
Driftmier purchased the $1 million business in 1972. In 1986, the 100th anniversary was duly observed and the Driftmiers gave the city of Wheat Ridge a $3,000 check and established the W.W. Wilmore Centennial Garden on the City Hall grounds. In 1989 the nursery closed and the business was transferred to the Wilmore Garden Center in Littleton, Colorado.
Named for W.W. Wilmore and R.T. Davis families of “Dahlmore”, Wilmore Dahlia Farm and nurseries and Davis Brothers Florists. W.W. Wilmore was a long-time board member of District #8. Playground part of city recreation program year-round and “summer camp”. Built 1953.
Wilmot Creek begins on the north shoulder of Evergreen Mountain and flows generally east and northeast, between Wilmot Elementary School and Evergreen High School, and empties into Evergreen Lake. Named for D. P. Wilmot, an early settler.
Named after D.P. Wilmot, early settler. The school was built in 1962.
Major William H. Wilson’s two-story, frame house and barn were built in 1889. After Major Wilson died, the Arvada house was sold to Mary Moore. Later Thomas Yeager bought the house and turned the barn into a Livery Stable. The iron cresting on the roof, and the white picket fence have been removed, otherwise this dwelling has been kept in good condition. Today it is known as the Arvada Motel.
This was a private family plot with the graves of the Boegel and Maxwell families. No recent internments, but maintained by the property owner.
Jefferson County Open Space purchased 457.8 acres from Joe Myer, owner of Myer Hardware of Golden, the Ramstetter family, the Browne Estate, and the Bunzel property in 1993. Chimney Gulch Trail was improved in 1997 from 6th Avenue rising southwest to access the Beaver Brook Trail off Lariat Loop Road at “Windy Saddle.”
This R-l District School was built in 1981. It was named for Lester A. Witt who began his teaching career in 1933 at Bear Creek High School. The following year he was made superintendent of the Bear Creek School District until the consolidation of Jefferson County School District R-1 in 1950. In 195l Witt was named principal of Arvada High School until 1955, when the high school became a junior high school. For the next several years he was head of R-1 Transportation.
Built ca. 1880. In 1892 Levi H. McGill had a mercantile store. In 1906 it was Pike & Perry Mercantile. It also was the first filling station having one hand pump on the sidewalk to fill cars with gas. This was about 1916.
Located in Water District #7, its earliest priority dates from July 5, 1862. Water diverted from Clear Creek via south bank of Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was Albert Wolff, son of an early settler, John B. Wolff.
Wolff Elementary School was in District No. 2, Vasquez Township. It was the first school in the Arvada area, was organized on the Wolff property in November, 1863 and was destroyed by fire in 1864.
Located in Water District #7, its priority dates from July 5, 1862. Water is diverted from Clear Creek via north bank of Slough Ditch. Claimant in 1884 was Albert Wolff.
This creek in years past has been called “Old Woman Creek” according to long-time local residents, but no one knows why.
The late 19th-century stock pond along Woman Creek is in good condition structurally. The berm on the eastern end of the stock pond has been reinforced with grey gravel. All that remains of the building is the concrete foundation. The wooden features are deteriorated.
The Woods Mortuary building is one of the oldest historical buildings on Washington Avenue, and it represents Golden’s early commercial developments. The original owner may have been Elmus Smith. In 1886 the south half of the building was used as a dry goods store. Then in the 1920s it became the Woods Mortuary. The building has been extensively remodeled. The original architectural character can still be seen, mostly in the form of second floor details.
There were actually two buildings, the north half and the south half. The north half building was built around 1872. It was built in the style of the nineteenth century commercial and Italian flair and a single storefront. The building is two stories high and constructed of brick. The roof is flat and steeped. There are corbeled brick cornices with three windows on the second story. The facade has segmental arches with ornate metal hoods. The windows are framed by semi-circular brick arches. The storefront originally had a recessed entrance that was flanked by display windows. The first floor facade is now remodeled with stucco siding and new windows and doors. The side of the building has double-hung windows and segmented arches; some of these have been bricked in. There is an attached garage in the back. A new side door has been added with a canopy. The building had at one time several corbeled brick chimneys that have since been removed.
The south half of the building was built some time before 1886. This building, like the north half, is in the style that was typical nineteenth century commercial with a single storefront. It is a two-story brick building with a flat roof, corbelled brick cornice. There are three windows on the second story with segmented stone arches. The lintels, sills, and cornices have corbelled brick trim. Originally this building, too, had a recessed entrance flanked by display windows. The first floor facade is now remodeled with stucco siding and has new windows and doors. The brick has been painted.
Woods Mortuary is one of Golden’s early-day businesses, and unfortunately, a very necessary one. It was established by William “Billy” Woods in the 1920s where it is still located today. He was a white-haired, big man. The mortuary was associated with the John C. Davidson Furniture Store next door, as was the custom then. Davidson was a licensed embalmer. The mortuary had plants in the curtained front windows for that extra “homey” touch.
Although the building has been remodeled, the brick building reflects downtown Golden’s past of railroad development and is representative of towns with the nineteenth century commercial architecture.
Name is states the aim of the church. Organized in July, 1980 at Rev. Tom Duckworth’s home. Met there 3 months, outgrew the space and moved to Ramada Inn. In 1991 still meet there. Emphasis is “Relation of the individual to Jesus Christ.”
Walking and running trails, volleyball court and playground.