This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Five miles east and north of Arvada.|
|Quad||Arvada, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S25, T2S, R69W|
|Source||Interview, Carolyn M. Ogilvie, granddaughter of Henry D. Calkins, 1975, 1994; Arvada Historical Society, "More Than Gold," pp. 21, 22; Frontispiece (1899 Farm Map).|
|Seealso||Far Horizons Park; Parr Elementary School.|
|History||Henry D. Calkins purchased 320 acres in 1873. More land was acquired to the west, where a reservoir, Calkins Lake, was built for irrigation. H. D. Calkins helped build Lathrop Elementary School in School District No. 23, which his son John attended. Later John farmed and raised stock at this site. Today the farm, Calkins Lake and Lathrop School have been developed into Far Horizons Subdivision. The school was moved and converted into a temporary classroom in 1956. Parr Elementary School and Far Horizons Park have been developed on the former Henry D. Calkins Farm.|