This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||15001 Denver West Parkway Golden, 80401|
|Section||S36, T3S, R70W|
|Source||National Register of Historic Places Registration Form #5JF843.|
|Other||Building 88, Storage Bunker|
|Seealso||Camp George West|
|History||The ammunition igloo at Camp George West was constructed in 1940 with funds from the Works Project Administration (WPA). The igloo is located near the base of South Table Mountain, north of the Camp George West Historic District and is separated from the district by large open areas used for military training and as a parade ground. Constructed of concrete and local stone, it was used for arms storage. George H. Merchant was the architect for the 562 square foot building. Added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 20, 1993 (5JF.843).|