This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||15000 S. Golden Rd., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S1, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Record #5JF145.66, Colorado Historical Society|
|History||The c. 1924 firing range is located northwest of the principal concentration of buildings at Camp George West on the southern edge of the installation, the firing lines are oriented eastward and consist of the 600 yard line (furthest to the south), the 500 yard line, 300 yard line, and 200 yard line (furthest to the north), with distances measured relative to a target butt which was located to the north on South Table Mountain. The lines are constructed of concrete, approximately 340 feet long and one foot wide, flush with the ground on the side of the shooter and about a foot above the ground on the side towards the target. The 600 yard line is intact, while the remaining three are missing segments where a dirt road and/or channelized drainage cuts through the lines. The target butt was removed in the 1980s. The parcel on which the existing firing lines are located was acquired by the State Militia in 1908. Firing lines and a target butt were in place by 1918 and reconstructed in 1924. The rifle range was utilized during summer encampments of the Colorado National Guard during the 1920s and 1930s. During World War II the 757th Military Police Battalion used the range.|