This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||15000 S. Golden Rd., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S1, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Form #5JF145.65, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||This stone and concrete gate was built c. 1930. Located on the west side of the entrance to the southern portion of Camp George West. It is composed of fieldstone rubblework consisting of two stone pillars connected by a Tudor shaped arch. The pillars with pyramided tops are approximately nine feet tall and the arch extends six feet between the pillars. A low, curved wing wall extends from the gate in a northwesterly direction toward South Golden Road. At the end of the wall is a stone pillar with a pyramided top seven feet tall. The top of the wing wall has a concrete cap. Partially wrapping around the Denver & Intermountain Railroad waiting station, the wall may have been intended as a protective barrier for passengers from vehicular traffic on South Golden Road.|