This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||15000 S. Golden Rd., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S1, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Record #5JF145.26, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||Architect George H. Merchant designed this 1938, 3468 sq. ft. one-story building composed of roughly split basaltic stone. The vernacular masonry building has a projecting, gabled entrance bay which intersects the central gabled bay which has gabled wings extending to the east and west. Entrance bay has stucco and half timbering in the upper gable end, as well as the symbol of the Colorado National Guard Military Academy. Facade entrance has a segmental arch and surround of narrow bands of evenly coursed stone. Large windows flanking the entrance have flat arches and concrete sills. The east wing has a center door on gable end and a wooden stoop. The west wing has a shed frame bay with horizontal board siding, four-light windows, and panel and glazed door. The rear of the building has a projecting gable bay with the center entrance similar to the front of the building. It has a raised concrete foundation and a stone chimney. This building was completed as an infirmary for Camp George West in 1938 with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds.|