This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||15000 S. Golden Rd., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S1, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Record #5JF145.29, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||Architect Harrison W. Wellman Jr. designed the 7-foot-wide, by 250-foot-long pedestrian overpass under South Golden Rd., connecting the north and south portions of Camp George West. The concrete lined passage way consists of steps, sloping floors, and a level middle portion. Entrances on either end are wedge shaped and composed of split fieldstone. It was constructed in 1934 under the Civil Works Administration. In the early 1960s, at the height of the Cold War, the north end was sealed with concrete blocks, a ventilating piece was added to the northern entrance structure and steel doors to the southern end to convert the underpass to a makeshift fall-out shelter complete with emergency provisions, a generator and other supplies.|