This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||15000 S. Golden Rd., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S1, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Record #5JF145.22, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||Built in 1923, this is a one-story vernacular wood frame building with a gabled roof with overhanging eaves and exposed rafters covered with corrugated iron roofing. Frame walls with drop siding on the south and pressed metal siding resembling brick on the east, west, and north. Opening for the overhead doors have been covered up on the south and single entry doors have been added. It has square windows with wood surrounds. The west elevation has large overhead garage door flanked by two six-light windows. Three pairs of six-light windows on the north. The 1213 sq. ft. building sits on a concrete foundation. The building was constructed by the federal government as a storage facility for Camp George West in 1923. In 1941, as part of a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project, the building was moved from the north side of the camp to the south side, its present location. In 1953, the building was remodeled for use as a fire station and overhead garage doors were added. The garage doors have been filled in and the building is once again used for storage.|