This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||2050 S. Kipling, Lakewood 80227|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S27, T4S, R69W|
|Source||Lakewood Colorado, An Illustrated Biography, Patricia Wilcox, 1994|
|History||Lakewood's only remaining stage stop is a white rectangular building on the crest of Old South Kipling Road. It was home to the Carmody family for over 55 years. Lawrence Carmody from County Kerry, Ireland and his bride Mary, from Count Cavan, Ireland moved to the place after their marriage in 1919. The 320 acres that the Carmody's eventually owned had a number of previous owners. Both the Union Pacific and Kansas Pacific railroads claim title holders along with William McClellan of the stage coach company. In 1878, the land became part of the large farm holdings of the Kendrick family. Ernest J. Obenhaus, a retired policeman also owned a portion of the Carmody land. The Carmody family had the only phone in the area up until WWII. The senior Carmody opened a dairy farm on Green Mountain. In the summer the highlight for the family was the annual picnic held by the Ancient Order of Hibernians, an Irish fraternal organization. Carmody Junior High, north of the old home, is named for the long-time family.|