This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Between Ford & Jackson on 10th St., Golden, 80401|
|Section||S34, T3S, R70W|
|Source||Arps, "Faith on the Frontier"; Burn Ham & Palmer, "The Christian Church," p. 23; "Colorado Transcript," Sept. l7; Brown, "The Shining Moun tains," p. 86; Interview, Lorraine Wagenbach.|
|Other||T. Golden DAR Papers.|
|History||The Christian Church was organized c. 1868. In 1870 the congregation purchased a lot on the north side of Clear Creek for the sum of $225.00. In May, 1873, under the direction of Berty Stover, a church was erected. The Church was built in a modified Gothic style. It was 32 feet by 56 feet with a seating capacity of 400. At the time the church was built there were 80 people in the congregation. In 1907 the church was sold. According to Georgina Brown in “The Shining Mountains,” the last preacher became involved with a member of his congregation and the church building had to be sold for its mortgage. Golden High School was built on the church site in 1923.|