This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Clear Creek Canyon, W. of Golden|
|Quad||Golden, 1939 (1965)|
|Section||S32, T3S, R70W|
|Source||Arapahoe County Dist. Court Div. II, Oct. 4, 1884; Denver Dist. Court Div. II #60052, May 13, 1936; Arvada Historical Society, "Waters of Gold," p. 6; "Water Priorities in District 7 - courtesy of William Elliott, Water Commissioner" list.|
|Seealso||Church's Stage Stop; Church Ranch and Farm, Church Ranch Road.|
|History||Located in Water District #7 and under Priority #40, 2-18-1865 and #62, 11-18-1877, this ditch diverts water from the north bank of Clear Creek. Claimants in 1884 were the Golden City and Ralston Creek Ditch Co. By 1936 adjudication, the claimant was the Golden, Ralston Creek and Church Ditch Co. They also divert water from Ralston Creek. This ruling was for a fourth enlargement commenced on 3-16-1886, length approximately 26 miles and irrigating approximately 50,000 acres of land. It was named for George Henry Church, who leased it in October 1877 for 49 years and probably had a hand in the improvements and extensions to the area of his ranch on present day North Wadsworth Boulevard.|