This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||7999 W. 60th Avenue Arvada|
|Quad||Arvada 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S11, T3S, R69W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory Record #5JF1042.6|
|History||The 1864 barn was constructed in a vernacular masonry style using stone, wood and tile. The 1 1/2 story barn contains 3300 square feet. John C. Churches files a Homestead application for this land in December 1863. When Churches filed proof for his patent in December 1868, he cited a stone barn as one of the improvements he had made to the land. The sandstone for the barn was obtained from the vicinity of Ralston Creek. This barn was one of the major elements of Churches' ranch. By 1867, Churches advertised beef, vegetables, and poultry for sale in Golden and continued to sell a substantial amount of meat to the local market for many years. The barn was utilized for the storage of hay and grain and to shelter horses and cattle and farm implements. The ranch was also utilized as a way station along a route to the gold camps during the 1860s and the Churches provided for travelers and horses.|