This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||17999 W. 60th Ave., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S2, T3S, R70W|
|Source||Front Range Associates, Inc; "The Arvada Enterprise," August 1910; Carolyn Churches Robeson, "Biography," Arvada Historical Society Collection; National Archives, Washington, D.C., Homestead Patent No. 9, Approved 1969; "Colorado Transcript," Mar. 2, 1870 & Oct. 8, 1872; Ogilvie, Carolyn, "History of Enterprise Grange," unpublished manuscript; "Rocky Mountain News," Jan. 15, 1881; "Colorado Transcript," Jan. 16, 1900.|
|Other||Churches Historic Barn, Long Lake Ranch Park|
|History||John C. Churches (1823-1910), traveled by ox team with Asahel Haines and John Huggins to the goldfields in 1859. The family surname, Churchhouse, was changed to Churches after the family settled on a ranch in Golden. The home built in 1862 was used as a half-way house for travelers and their livestock. Churches built an irrigation ditch out of Ralston Creek and a reservoir in the area. He was the first Worthy Master of Enterprise Grange. He and his wife Mary Ann served in the Colorado State Grange and in Garden Pomona No. 1. Van Bibber Creek flows west to east across the northern edge of the surveyed area of Churches Ranch. In 1881, Mary Ann Churches and Mary Ann Wadsworth were active in the women suffrage movement in Colorado and were urged to attend a meeting discuss the political and social status of women. Virg and Gent Bennett of Mount Vernon and the Churches boys gathered their cattle at Glencoe and drove them to the Union Stockyards in 1901. In 1937, the Denver Water Board bought the Churches property and built Ralston Reservoir. Churches house, stone barn and several other buildings are still standing. Churches Ranch listed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 23, 1998 (5JF.1042).|