This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||One block W. of Easley Road and W. 60th Ave.|
|Quad||Golden 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S 10&11, T3S, R70W|
|Source||Interview, Ralph Churches, son of John C. Churches, 1975; "Colorado Transcript," 1-16-1901; Arvada Historical Society, "More Than Gold," pp. 23, 24; Biography of Carolyn Churches Robson, Arvada Historical Society Collection; J.C. Churches Homestead Records, National Archives, Washington, D.C.; Ogilvie, Carolyn, "History of Enterprise Grange No. 25," unpublished manuscript; "Rocky Mountain News," Jan. 15, 1881, p. 8, c.3.|
|Seealso||Enterprise Grange, No. 25|
|History||Named for John C. Churches, who built the stage stop for travelers in the 1860s. The buildings were still standing in 1998 and were owned by the Denver Water Board. Churches was born in Somerset, England (1817-1889). His father's name was John Churchhouse, but the surname was changed to Churches by the Jefferson County family. Churches came to Colorado in 1859 with Asahel Haines and John Higgins. He filed his citizenship papers in 1862 and received the patent for his homestead in 1869. This record indicated that he built a stone house, stone barn, corral, two water wells and a log barn. The stone house was used as a half-way station for travelers and their livestock on the way to the mountains. Churches built an irrigation ditch out of Ralston Creek and a reservoir, Churches Lake. He and his wife, Mary Ann Colepriet Churches, were instrumental in forming Enterprise Grange, No. 25 in 1874. Churches was the first Worthy Master.|