This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||104th Ave. and Olde Wadsworth Blvd., Broomfield, 80021.|
|Quad||Lafayette 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S14, T2S R69W|
|Source||Arvada Historical Society, "Waters of Gold," pp 22, 23; Personal Papers of Frank Church, son; Interview, Marcus Church, grandson, 1973.|
|Seealso||Church Ranch and Farm; Church Ditch.|
|History||Pioneer George Henry Church built a 12-room house for stage passengers on their first stop-over out of Denver. This stage stop was also called Twelve- Mile House, the distance between Denver and Church's Station. Wells Fargo discontinued the stage route to the mountains in 1868, shortly after President Grant and his daughter made the trip. The building continued to be used by Bull Whackers (ox team drivers) who hauled baled hay to the mountains. As many as 75 persons stayed at a time for supper, lodging and breakfast. This was also a convenient stop on the Cherokee Trail and Overland Stageline which closely followed Colorado State Highway #287 to Cheyenne, Wyoming (1865-1885).|