This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||12 miles long; Front Range canyon in which Clear Creek flows.|
|Quad||Evergreen, 1965 (1979); Morrison, 1965 (1980); Golden, 1965 (1980); Squaw Pass, 1957 (1974).|
|Section||S36-1, T3S, R72W; S32, T3S, R70W; S6,5,32,33, T3S, R72W; S33,34,3,2,35,36,31,6, T3S, R71W.|
|Source||Davis, "Building Colorado's First Mountain Railroad," pp. 298-305; James Grafton Rodgers, Place Names of Colorado, 1955.|
|Seealso||Elk Creek Canyon; Guy Gulch.|
|History||This major east-west Front Range canyon through which Clear Creek River flows is about 12 miles long. Colorado Central Railroad completed laying track through the canyon in September 1872. The track was abandoned in July 1941.|