This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||122 Mill St., Morrison, 80465|
|Quad||Morrison, 1965 (1980)|
|Section||S35, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Morrison Historical Guide - research by Lorene Horton, 1975.|
|Other||George Morrison Residence|
|History||Built in 1873 by George P. Morrison for his family home when he moved from Mount Vernon. The main building is three stories, built of alternating blocks of finished red sandstone (from the adjacent Morrison Formation quarry) and buff sandstone (Dakota Formation). A wing added in 1889 is of rough-cut red sandstone with buff trim. George Morrison died in 1895 in this house. John Swanson, from a Swedish family, bought the house and ran a well-known hotel called the Cliff House. Known for its fine food, good rooms and lovely gardens and for a bandstand for Saturday concerts. Morrison had its own band. Mrs. Swanson lost her mind and died in a sanitarium; Mr. Swanson hung himself from grief over her death. The house is now an inn with the same name.|