This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||E. of Hwy. 285 at Shaffers Crossing|
|Quad||Pine, 1965 (1985)|
|Section||S32, T6S, R71W|
|Source||Crain, "A Circle of Pioneers," p. 24. Landmark designation 8/2/2004|
|Other||Clifton House Inn|
|History||Built in the 1800s by Rudolph Poltz, grandfather of the Long brothers who own the Long Brothers Garage at the present time. The structure was operated as a hotel by Charles Long and his wife. In 1888, a telephone exchange, the Clifton Exchange, was located in the hotel and had a plug board and generator to make the ring. It was moved to Bailey in 1921. Designated a County Landmark in 2004.|