This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Source||"WPA History of Golden, Jefferson County,Colorado," WPA Project #3548, DAR Pioneer Museum; Feb 13, 1888, p.472. Corbet, "The Colorado Directoty of Mines," p.264, Colorado Historical Society|
|History||Incorporated 1878; capital stock, $500,000, Andrew McKinney, pres., William A.H. Loveland, general manager. The property is located on the Colorado Central Railroad, within the limits of Golden, and comprises a strip of land one half mile wide and three miles long. The mine has a shaft 300 feet deep and two entries aggregating 1300 feet in length. The vein is about fifteen feet wide and trends north and south. On the surface is a good shaft house capable of raising 100 tons of ore daily. In 1888 miners drifted 260 feet from the surface to a coal vein ten feet wide and another ten feet further measuring four feet six inches.|