This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||17155 W. 44th Ave., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S23, T4S, R70W|
|Source||Directory of State Register Places, 1997, Colorado Historical Society.|
|History||Built in 1890 and important for its association with Colorado railroad history and for its engineering significance, No. 683 was one of the early locomotives acquired by the D&RGW when converting its mainline to standard gauge. It operated until 1955 and was acquired by the Colorado Railroad Museum in 1963. This is the only extant D&RGW Railroad standard gauge steam locomotive; all others have been scrapped. It was listed on the Directory of State Register Places 5JF1013.11) on September 11, 1996.|