This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||1450 Illinois St., Golden, 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S34, T3S, R70W|
|Source||"Oredigger," 3/29/79, 5/22/62; "Denver Daily Journal," 4/7/80; CSM Office of Public Information, 3/29/79; Norman, C., "Golden Old and New," p.44.|
|History||As the Colorado School of Mines grew, it became obvious that a library would be necessary. A library building was opened in 1955 just north of Guggenheim Hall. The building was not named until 1959 when it was named in honor of Arthur T. Lakes. Twenty years later, the building was rededicated upon the completion of its renovation and additions to the original building. The library is considered one of the top technical libraries in the country, if not the world. The original building cost $800,000 and was State funded. The addition and renovation cost about $3 million, of which the State's share was $1.56 million. Private donations were about $440,000, and the Boettcher Foundation added $1 million. In addition to its over 200,000 volumes, it has more than 175,000 maps and carries 2,000 technical journals and magazines that concern themselves with the entire scope of mining and engineering taught at Mines. In 1937 the Boettcher family donated the Frank C. Allison gold and silver specimen collection which can be seen in the glass-faced vault located on the south side of the main entrance. In 1995 the history archives were made possible by a grant from Russell and Lynn Wood. The library is also a repository for maps and documents of the U.S. Geological Survey and the U.S. Bureau of Mines. Arthur Lakes was associated with Bishop George Randall in the founding of Jarvis Hall if 1869. Jarvis Hall was the forerunner of the Colorado School of Mines. Arthur Lakes was the first professor of geology, and he taught at the school until 1893 through its transitions from a church (Episcopalian) school to a school supported by a territorial government (Colorado Territory) and finally, in 1876, to a state institution of higher education. There were two years (1878-1879) when he was doing research in Colorado and Wyoming and did not teach. Professor Lakes is considered to be the "father" of Colorado geology. He deciphered the history of Colorado's geology and uncovered the dinosaur tracks at Red Rocks Park.|