|History||In keeping with the diversity of building appearances on the Colorado School of Mines campus, this building's appearance is different from any of the others. The designers, Lamar Kelsey and Associates, gave the building distinctive rounded corners.
This building was considered to be a mark of resurgence for the campus. During the oil crisis years of the 1970s the enrollment at the school, able to accommodate 3,000, had fallen to 1,600. A new building in which to teach mining and engineering was a sign of growth returning to the campus. Construction began in June 1979, and the building was opened in December 1980.
Dedication of the building to George E. Brown was on April 9, 1981. Dr. Brown was a graduate of the class of 1922. In 1949 he was awarded the Distinguished Achievement Award, and in 1962 he was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Engineering. Both Dr. Brown and his brother, Herman Brown, were involved in the Brown and Root Company. Together they built Brown and Root from a small road building company to an international construction conglomerate.
The $5.5 million that the school cost to build and equip was paid for with private funds. The largest contributor was the Brown Foundation, which donated $4.4 million to the project.|