This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||S.W. corner of Arapahoe and 15th Sts., Golden, 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S34, T3S, R70W|
|Source||"Oredigger," 1/21/64 and 4/11/72; Brenneke, F., "The Dean's Residence," 12/15/69; CSM Office of Public Information, 5/2/68; CSM Office of Institutional Advancement, 3/2/92.|
|History||The center, which opened in 1972, houses Geophysical Engineering, the Computer Center, and the Bunker Auditorium along with the usual type of rooms for a college building. At the time it was built, the auditorium could accommodate the entire student population of 1,600. It was the first time in 50 years that it was possible to gather all the students in one place at the same time. The auditorium has proven to be a boon to the city of Golden and also Jefferson County. The Colorado School of Mines makes it available for use by cultural groups such as the Jefferson Symphony. The building was built with largely private funding. To keep the school from losing some time limit grants, the state appropriated $600,000 and purchased the land. Private donations came to slightly over $2 million, of which $1.7 million came from Cecil H. and Ida Green. Mr. Green was a founding partner in the reorganization of Geophysical Services. This newly reorganized company created Texas Instruments, the electronics giant. In 1972, while the move into the Hall was going on, the school's administration was being called before the Joint Budget Committee of the legislature to explain a $250,000 cost overrun. An interesting sidelight concerns a building that was razed to make room for this building's landscaping. The building that was razed at Cheyenne and 15th Streets was built in 1889 as a home for the president of the school. Dr. Chauvenet and his family were the first to occupy it. It remained the president's residence until 1925 when Dr. Coolbaugh became president. Dr. Coolbaugh preferred to remain in his own home, so he made the house available to the Dean of Students. It remained the home of the Dean of Students until 1964. It was then renovated to become the first dormitory for women on the campus. Until that time, only three women had received degrees from the school. That change in use brought an editorial in the school newspaper, "The Oredigger," decrying the change and calling for the house to remain the Dean's House for historical reasons if no other.|