This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||N.E. corner of Illinois and 14th Streets, Golden, 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S34, T3S, R70W|
|Source||"Golden Outlook," 5/4/53; News Release from the President of CSM, 5/8/53; Norman, C., "Golden Old and New," p. 43.|
|History||This building, opened in September 1952 and designed by Fuller, Fuller and Fuller, an architectural firm that has served the Colorado School of Mines for three generations, is one of beige brick and glass. The building was built to house chemistry and geochemistry. In more recent years, an addition was constructed on the north side of the building. The building was dedicated in May 1953 to Melville F. Coolbaugh, who served as president of the school from 1925-1946 and was named President Emeritus in 1946. By profession Dr. Coolbaugh was a research chemist, and he served as dean of the chemistry department in 1917-1918. This building has a place in the history of the Colorado School of Mines because it was the first completely new building on campus after World War II.|