This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||1370 Illinois St., Golden 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S34, T3S, R70W|
|Source||Norman, C., "Golden Old and New, p. 44; CSM Office of Public Information, News Release, 10/15/59; CSM Office of Public Information, News Release, 5/7/74.|
|History||This modern gymnasium, built in 1959, replaced the oldest college gymnasium in Colorado. The original gymnasium had been a three-story Mission Style building that was completed in 1908. On May 7, 1974 the building was dedicated to Russell H. Volk, a Colorado School of Mines graduate who was considered one of the greatest student athletes of his generation. Mr. Volk won 15 varsity letters while in school. In addition, Mr. Volk was president of his class, as well as national chairman and Colorado School of Mines' delegate to a student leadership conference in Yugoslavia in 1926. He pioneered petroleum exploration and development in the Denver-Julesburg basin. Mr. Volk served as a member of the Colorado School of Mines Board of Trustees from 1967-1973.|