|Address||1300 Illinois St., Golden, 80401|
|Quad||Golden, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S34, T3S, R70W|
|Source||CSM Office of Institutional Advancement, 3/2/92; Norman, C., "Golden Old and New," p. 44.|
|History||This state-funded building devoted to the athletic endeavors of the students was completed in 1937, but the building was not named until 1949. It was named in honor of Frederich C. Steinhauer who was active in sports during his student days at Mines. Mr. Steinhauer was a member of the school's Board of Trustees from 1911-1915 and again from 1931-1947. He also served as President of the Board of Trustees from 1913-1915 and again from 1942-1947.
The building was designed by the noted architect, Jules Jacques Benoit Benedict. A distinctive architectural feature of the building are the bas-reliefs of the school's mascot, a burro, and of the school's emblem, a crossed pick and shovel, on the building's facade.|