This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||6300 W. 53rd Ave., Arvada, 80003|
|Section||S13, T3S, R69W|
|Source||NJMRAPD Files. Plaque on a rock in the north part of the park.|
|History||North Jeffco purchased the property for Columbine Park from Awalt Black and Frances Marie Black in 1963. The lake at Columbine Park was built when the park was redeveloped with funds provided by the 1974 City Bond Referendum. The purpose of the lake was to catch the overflow from Spano's truck farm south of W. 52nd Avenue. Spano sold the truck farm to Arvada Urban Renewal and when that project was developed there was no more water available for Columbine Lake. Recreational improvements at the site were two tennis courts, tot lot, picnic tables, drinking fountain, trash cans, bike rack, and horseshoe pits. The City of Arvada provided a concrete pathway and an asphalt parking lot. A child was killed in an accident at the park and on a rock north of the park is a plaque which states, "In Memory of Daniel E. Felton, 1958-1964, the park was an important part of his world. This park is owned jointly by the City of Arvada and North Jeffco.|