This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||5 mi. S.W. of Phillipsburg|
|Quad||Indian Hills, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S27, T6S, R70W|
|Source||Moynihan & Waters, "Mountain Memories," pp. 105-107.|
|Other||Critchell Post Office|
|History||The town was platted Sept.10,1897, shortly after Charles Redfield Critchell and Associates formed the Cuillard Townsite Mining and Milling Co. In 1900, it was predicted that Critchell would become a city of 1000 inhabitants and a second Cripple Creek, but it never progressed beyond a few families, a post office, school, store, blacksmith shop and the town well. Some mines were worked for a few years but the ore was of poor quality. All traces of a mining town are gone now. An old-timer, the late Carl L. Kuehster told of knowing Alferd Packer, the convicted Colorado cannibal, as a "nice man" who helped at the store and raised rabbits in his later years. The town was named for C.R.Critchell.|