This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Source||Cultural Contexts report, 2004, p 20;|
|History||from the Cultural Contexts report, 2004: Deer Creek Wagon Road (1867) This road was built along Deer Creek. The lower four-mile-segment from the hogback was constructed by the Deer Creek Wagon Road & Lumbering Company in 1867. The upper portion followed Fall River to reach Pleasant Park and subsequently Bradford Junction (Conifer). The steep, treacherous nature of the Fall Road discouraged travel, and it was replaced in 1920 by the High Grade Road that climbed the steep southern slope of Sampson Mountain. Local residents built the lower half of the High Grade Road with hand tools, and the county agreed to construct the upper portion.|