This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Source||Cultural Contexts report, 2004, p 17|
|Other||Mount Vernon Road|
|History||from Cultural Contexts report, 2004 Denver, Auraria & Colorado Wagon Road/Mount Vernon Road (1859) This toll road was incorporated by Joseph Casto, Horner Fellos, Christian Dorsey and Solomon Shrop to travel from Denver-Auraria to Saratoga West (Hot Sulphur Springs) on the Blue Fork of the Colorado River. It climbed Mount Vernon Canyon and branched southwest through Bergen Park and Bradford Junction, where it connected at Bradford Junction (Conifer) to continue on into Park County. In 1860, it was the most frequently used route in the county, with up to fifty wagons passing daily up the canyon.|