This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bounded by Building #710-A and Main Ave. to the north, Alameda Ave. to the south, Seventh St. to the east, and 8th St. to the west.|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S9, T4S, R69W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory #5JF1048.14, 1996, CHS|
|History||The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers designed and built this 36,000 sq. foot, two-level square underground facility in 1969. Its lower level is completely below ground, and its upper level is partially below ground, with three feet of earth fill covering its roof. All that can be seen of the structure from its exterior is its concrete entrance and a few pipes and antennas which rise from a large grassed mound to the west of the entrance. Upon entering the building's lobby immediately to the north, is a set of doors which leads to a tunnel connecting Building #710 with #710-A. West of these doors, stairs lead down to a large steel vault door. The interior of the upper level of the building had the appearance of an office building without windows, with a large operations room at the center. The lower level houses dormitories, medical facility rooms, mechanical systems, storage, and a kitchen. Building 710 was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 2, 2000 (5JF.1048.14).|