This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bounded by Bldg. 21-B and Center Ave. to the north, South Center Ave. to the south, Second St. to the east, and Third St. to the west, within the Denver Federal Center, Lakewood, 80225|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S9, T4S, R69W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory #55F1048.3, 1996, CHS|
|History||This 18,765 sq. foot one-story brick building was built in 1941 as a storage building and later was used for Kaiser Industries Administration offices at the main area of the Denver Ordnance Plant during World War II. Original windows consisted of mostly continuous rows of steel - sash, awning type windows set about seven feet high on the north, south, and west elevations. Original plans show that the east elevation had a small concrete and brick loading deck with a single loading bay. The original building had a wood frame penthouse centered on the roof. In 1963, the majority of the windows on the north, south and west elevations were removed and replaced with insulated panels and new openings with aluminum sash windows were created beneath these windows. In that year, the existing wood roof penthouse was removed and replaced with a larger one of steel construction. In 1979, the one-story tee addition was added to the south elevation, adding to the buildings area by 30 percent. Major interior alterations were also included to the original building as part of this project. The building is presently used as government offices and labs.|