This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bounded by North Ave. to the north, Center Ave. to the south, Second St. to the east, and Third St. to the west, within the Denver Federal Center, Lakewood|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S9, T4S, R69W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory #5JF1048.4, 1996, CHS|
|History||This 245,730 sq. foot building was built in 1941 for the manufacture of .30 caliber ammunition and heavy artillery fuze and boosters. This Building is irregular in plan and massing, having one and two - story elements with most of the exterior clad in brick. The west elevation of the building had a predominately two-story facade, with two large clerestory, or monitor sections. On the east elevation, the exterior of the first story was dominated by a loading deck and loading bays which serviced railroad tracks. The interior of the structure was originally a large open expanse which served the manufacturing process. A mezzanine level above the main floor looked down on the main floor. The building experienced major interior renovations during the late 1940s when the USGS housed some of its offices in the building. In 1970, exterior renovations began to replace the original brick surface with a new brick facing. In 1976, the building was severely damaged by fire. Following the fire, major interior renovations were necessary and exterior renovation continued to remove original fabric as well as adding additional new windows, and brick screening of new mechanical systems.|