This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bounded by Buiulding #53 to the north, Main Ave. to the south, Fifth St. to the east, and Sixth St. to the west, Lakewood, 80225|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965, (1994)|
|Section||S9, T4S, R69 W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory #5JF10408.9, 1996, CHS|
|History||Designed by the architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman & Grylis of Detroit, Michigan, this 132,830 sq. foot one-story building was built by Broderick & Gordon in 1942 for the U.S. Army Dept. Of Ordnance. The building's original use was to house the Denver Ordnance Plant Tool & Gage Shop and the General Foods Corporation C-Ration production. The Original structure was a one-story building with a concrete foundation, concrete interior piers, and a structural system of reinforced concrete members. The exterior finish of the building was brick, and windows were steel-sash awnings set in concrete lintels and sills. The roof was concrete with a two-foot overhanging eaves with a roof treatment of tar and gravel. Prior to the completion of the building a small wood frame addition was added to the south elevation. The first major change to the building was made in 1955, when the top row of the building's window panes were removed and filled with cement-asbestos board. In addition, bricks below the original windows were removed, and new metal-sash windows were installed on all elevations. The south and east elevation addition to the building was finished in 1978, nearly doubling the size of the original building. It currently houses offices of the General Services Administration (GSA).|