This is an early beta version that’s still a work in progress. We hope to develop and refine the contents going forward. In the meantime, we’re making it fully available to the public as-is. Started by the Jefferson County Historical Commission in the 1990s, it was transferred to the Golden History Museum-City of Golden in 2020.
|Address||Bounded by Building #48 and North Ave. on the north, Center Ave. to the south, Fourth St. and Building #45 to the east, and Fifth St. to the west, within Denver Federal Center, Lakewood, 80225|
|Quad||Fort Logan, 1965 (1994)|
|Section||S9, T4S, R69W|
|Source||Historic Building Inventory #5JF1048.8, 1996, CHS|
|History||Designed by the architectural firm of Smith, Hinchman & Grylis of Detroit, Michigan, this 21,655 sq. foot one-story building was built by Broderich & Gordon in 1941 for the U.S. Army Dept. of Ordnance. This building served as the lead shop the Main Manufacturing section of the Denver Ordnance Plant during W.W. II. The structure was built with a reinforced concrete foundation and piers and reinforced concrete frame, floors, and roof. Original windows consisted of eight-foot high continuous rows of steel-sash, awning type windows set about six-feet from the ground on the north and west elevations, and a four-foot high continuous set of steel-sash awning windows set about eight feet from the ground on the east elevation, with four leading bay doors spaced evenly beneath them. The south entrance served as the main entrance, with a single set of double steel frame doors with a double lighted transom. Major alterations were performed in 1967, when new brick pilasters and aluminum frame doors and windows were also replaced with insulated panels in this year. Several other windows and doors were filled in with brick at this time, and brick screening walls for mechanical systems were installed in 1967. In 1979, handicapped provisions were added to both the interior and exterior of the structure. The buildings present use is government offices and photo lab.|